Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

WTF? Stock Tire Shreads Apart On Highway !!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF? Stock Tire Shreads Apart On Highway !!!

First off, WHAT THE F*CK. Im on stock tires with 7400 miles on them, and so far ive had nothing but problems with them, my outside walls have been worn down to no tread so only the mid tread remains, and my back right wheel has a screw in it.. so so far these stock tires have just been a *****!

Now on to the story.

I was on I95 driving to PGA to go to my doctors appointment (before i even left i told my my i didnt wanna drive down there because of all the construction), when less than a half mile to my exit i hear pop pop pop like something was hitting inside of my wheel well. So im fu*king pissed cuz i didnt wanna drive there in the first place, plus i thought i had a flat. So i pulled off to the side, put on my blinkers n got out to see what it was.. at first glance it looked like something just got stuck in my wheel well n wraped around my axel n brake lines.. so i called my mom/dad/best friend, first i *****ed my mom out cuz i told her as$ i didnt wanna go down there, n she tries to tell me to drive with it if it will be ok, thank god i didnt then i claled my best friend to see if he could come here n help me out by bringing a razor or something to cut this "string" with.. of course he tells me he cant cuz he has **** to do for college with his gma (some best friend huh? i woulda droped everything if my best friend called me saying that).. so i tried to pull the "strings" out of the inside of the rim, wouldnt budge, then i tried pulling another peice front the top n i realized it was tearing a strip off of my tire. So im like FU*K, called my dad n told him to come down here with a razor n help me cut it off.. then i see some florida truck pull behind me with flashing lights, he gets out askes me if i have a flat n im like no the tire shreaded n got caught onto my axel, n hes like ok u can either lift your car n i can cut it and u can drive really slow home, or u can put the doughnut on. im like screw the doughnut, so he brought his lift out of the truck, lifted my car on the front, i moved the wheel, we cut all the excess wheel off, so that there was just nubs sticking out of the actual wheel, n he told me how to get home from a main road instead of the highway.. So i start driving n i hear this ****, n im like wtf dont tell me it happend AGAIN.. i got off at the exit after where my doctors was (cuz thats the way to get ot the main road) n started to head home.. i didnt bother checking it because it stoped making w/e noise it was making.. i get almost home n i see the kids are getting out of school.. im like damn i wish i could speed by n let em hear the bov (i like to show off lmao) but i knew i couldnt because i didnt want my tire to pop. thank god i didnt cuz theres a speed trap ahead, n they stoped me n the person next to me, n made the person next to me pull into there ticketing area.

so now im home, with a screwed up tire, n my dad said he called mitsubishi n they told him my tires are under warenty n that they might replace them (yea untill they see the gt35r) but then agani they did warrenty my steering wheel with the same mods in my sig.

anyway has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for Reading!

Comments are nice
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:43 PM

Sounds like it was out of alignment to begin with
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by The.alibi
Sounds like it was out of alignment to begin with
yea the alignment was out of wack from the factory.. but hey, what evo isnt?!

now if i get it aligned at misubishi will they do it right? or will it still be messed up like they come from the factory?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:52 PM

Only one way to find out.....

I'd rather get one than shred tires on the highway lol
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

haha tomorrow ill find out if i get new tires underwarrenty with a GT35R lmao

if not im getting them anyway, just not stockers
Old Jan 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
brp
Evolving Member

if you think that they might give you sh** because of your turbo, take the wheels of and just bring the wheels in, and say you had to because "you couldnt drive your car with those tires like that".

also, might have been a good idea to have an aligment done before you had these problems since you knew yours was off!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

I just posted in another thread a similar comment....I only have 6200 miles on mine and the front inside tread just got eaten bald like yours. I was def. like WTF! I took it in for a 4 wheel alignment and EVERY wheel on the car was off by AT LEAST 2 degrees in either camber, caster or toe...They laid blame on the car "settling" since it's new and of course won't cover it under warranty. They will tell you it's a wear item, or blame it on you hitting the pothole from hell. Good luck though!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:18 PM

well if you know about those tires and the car, you'll know that the evos are negitive cambered from the factory, reason being is that the slight neg cam is for handeling porposes, i assure you if you adjusted the camber just like any other car, your ca would handle into the corners like $h*t. the other reason is the tire compound, the rubber on those tires are soft compounds, thats why the tires wear EXTREMELY quick. mate the two concepts together and you have the superb EVO handling. now you can go with another brand that will last longer like other ppl do, but i assure you, your car will slide/drift/fish tail, ect.
you bought a street legal race car, now instead of driving around thinking your awsome with your turbo upgrade, you should learn more about your car overall in general.

i just hate when ppl complane about how sucky the tires are. keep in mind that those tires are a part of what makes the car a great handler.
im sure you heard it from others and im gonna say it too, you have to pay to play!

2.3T~
Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Low tire pressure will cause wear on the outside edges of a Tire.

Low tire pressure will cause a tire to shred also.

Low tire pressure causes excessive flex in the side walls. This creates heat and heat delaminates the tire, IE it shreds.

Low tire pressure is hard to detect on low profile tires, eyeball will not do it, they just don't sag that much. Get a good gage and check the tires at least monthly.

All high performance tires pick up junk, I used to think I had Magnetic Steel belts.

The screw can be screwed out, have some soapy water handy, and check your spare first. Take the screw out, (pliers screw driver-ect) and soap up the area. Check for bubbles, if you don't get any, you are done. If it leaks, the tire must be patched form the inside, don't let them plug it from the outside, must come off the rim. If the screw is in the sidewall the tire is junk.

Sometimes I think tire companies drive around throwing things on the road just to drum up business.

If there is alot of construction in your area, will likely happen again.

Good Luck,

Mitsuatb
Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Sucks man, I would definitely bring it to the dealer. On a side not how old are you? 18? I knew as soon as yuou said wanting to blow of the bov infront of a school of kids. Come on!!!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2.3T
well if you know about those tires and the car, you'll know that the evos are negitive cambered from the factory, reason being is that the slight neg cam is for handeling porposes, i assure you if you adjusted the camber just like any other car, your ca would handle into the corners like $h*t. the other reason is the tire compound, the rubber on those tires are soft compounds, thats why the tires wear EXTREMELY quick. mate the two concepts together and you have the superb EVO handling. now you can go with another brand that will last longer like other ppl do, but i assure you, your car will slide/drift/fish tail, ect.
you bought a street legal race car, now instead of driving around thinking your awsome with your turbo upgrade, you should learn more about your car overall in general.

i just hate when ppl complane about how sucky the tires are. keep in mind that those tires are a part of what makes the car a great handler.
im sure you heard it from others and im gonna say it too, you have to pay to play!

2.3T~

dude listen if ur gunna come in here n flame just dont comment my thread.. its not about the fu*cking wear on the tires, its the fact that the tires ripped in shreaded peices getting caught in my axel brake n brake lines.

im not complaining about anything. learn how to spell.. its "COMPLAIN"
Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Sucks man, I would definitely bring it to the dealer. On a side not how old are you? 18? I knew as soon as yuou said wanting to blow of the bov infront of a school of kids. Come on!!!
sorry but i like to have fun with my car, showing off is just one aspect of having "fun"

but yes the shreading like this should not happen.. its not normal, nor is it safe what so ever
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Bump, going to mitsubishi right now to see if they will give me new tires..
Old Jan 10, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

I had to slap my mom around a little just yesterday because she didn't check the air in my tires for me, and shes 73.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
I had to slap my mom around a little just yesterday because she didn't check the air in my tires for me, and shes 73.

Im sorry, I couldnt make it past the "*****ing my mom out" or the calling of his mom and dad. This reeks of adolescence.

Last edited by Tristar; Jan 10, 2007 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: WTF? Stock Tire Shreads Apart On Highway !!!