Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear Big Brake Kit ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Big Brake Kit ?

What do you think , is it worth it , 328 x 28 mm discs with 4 piston calipers ?
Attached Thumbnails Rear Big Brake Kit ?-gt_2_p.jpg  
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

That's a very complex question. "Worth it"...how much will it cost you? Why are you considering it - Performance? Asthetics? I assume you have upgraded the front brakes? Are you honestly skilled enough to handle the rear end stepping out while trail-braking into a turn?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

you really do need to specify. going to this brembo kit in the rear will really prove to be minimally beneficial, even for a car that is tracked very often. A good set of pads and rotors will show the same improvement on the rears. Correct me if i'm wrong people but just because you upgrade the rears to bigger calipers and rotors doesnt mean the brake bias of the car changes so I dont even think this kit would affect trail braking upon corner entry. The only real positive I could this to using a kit like this would be after you upgraded the fronts because you have fade issues. then experiencing the rears fading and causing problems on corner entry. I'm still fairly certain a good set of pads and rotors would fix this problem. As was said above all these issues require a very skilled driver to notice any change.

butttt. i have a feeling you want these for the bigger calipers
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Don't see why you'd need them. Stock has worked well for me on several track days and autocross'.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Jan 16, 2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:50 PM

stock is good enough...
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:40 PM

No, it's not worth it. Bling factor..........unless you specifically track your car in competativly races because it's your career.......
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:27 PM

Stock Sucks! I have not been very impressed with the Evo brakes. If I have one gripe about the evo it's the brakes. And yes I track my car often and have tried several brake pads and rotor combos. I will be upgradeing mine front and rear.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by munoa13
Stock Sucks! I have not been very impressed with the Evo brakes. If I have one gripe about the evo it's the brakes. And yes I track my car often and have tried several brake pads and rotor combos. I will be upgradeing mine front and rear.
Let me know when you do, I'll buy your stock calipers
Old Feb 27, 2007, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

ok

Originally Posted by munoa13
What pads and rotors have you tried. what seemed to work best for you?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:47 AM

Movit do both front and rear kits for an Evo..They are superb...
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Endless has a nice rear brake setup also.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 02:40 PM

Weight savings is good.
Pedal feel and control improve.
(especially if you are a more skilled driver; trailbraking, left foot braking, driving the car with your feet rather than your hands)

Some of the above responses are correct in the fact that it is not a "necessity" type upgrade. It's like the difference between 350whp and 400whp. If you can find places or situations to use it, it will be money well spent.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Dewd don't waist your money just get a good set of pads and then rotors if your not happy like all the big boys at the shops do.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Whether one needs a rear BBK is separate from whether one wants it =)

Regardless, RacingBrake makes a nice rear kit:
http://www.racingbrake.com/EVO_8_REA...34-311-411.htm

They also make rear 2-pc rotors:
http://www.racingbrake.com/EVO_8_REA...p/2043-311.htm

Personally, I use the 332x28 front BBK and it cools better than stock, weighs 10lbs per front corner less, and shifts the brake bias about 7% to the rear to more effective use the rear brakes.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:59 PM
EvoM Guru

For all those who think the stock brakes stink we had them on the 640whp AMS Time Attack car that I was lucky enough to drive to a class victory and 2nd overall at the last Redline event. It was the fastest an EVO has ever gone around that track (and it is a hard braking track). We had Girodisc front and rear two-piece rotors PFC pads and Castrol SRX fluid with the stock calipers.

Lesson here; the stock calipers are much better than many aftermarket calipers (heck we took of name brand aftermarket stuff after problems). Put on proper pads, fluids, ss lines and bleed them well, and you will be impressed. Put on that exact combination and you won't be wanting for brakes I promise you!

They may not have the bling factor of massive brakes but the people I drive for prefer trophies (and they're even shinier).