Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lug Stuck on broken Stud

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lug Stuck on broken Stud

I went to change the brake pads this weekend and had one lug just keep spinning when trying to loosen it.

So I get under the car and the stud is spinning in the hub while the lug is still stuck on.

Any ideas on how to get the lug off so i can try and replace this stud??
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:41 AM

umm.. break it.. your gonna replace it anyway.. only way to do it really..
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

cut it in half with a dremel & replace.

n
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nils
cut it in half with a dremel & replace.

n
Hmm this might be an option but i dont think a cutting wheel from a dremel will cut all the way down the side of the lug. is this what you were refering to?

Please elaborate.

Other thoughts were;

spotwelding the back of the stud since i would be replacing the hub anyway and then just removing the lugnut.

or airchisel from the back and wedge the bastard in since i would be replacing the hub anyway and just removing the lugnut.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Most lugs are splined... so don't weld it to the hub. When you buy a new threaded lug, you'll see that it is a spline style that inserts into the hub. Your best bet is to get a big *** grinder, or borrow one from a friend or shop. Cut that sucker off and get a new one.

Really, you need to get the car to a wheel shop and let them do the whole thing for you. I've been there with my subaru before... it sucks, but it's not all that bad.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
Most lugs are splined... so don't weld it to the hub. When you buy a new threaded lug, you'll see that it is a spline style that inserts into the hub. Your best bet is to get a big *** grinder, or borrow one from a friend or shop. Cut that sucker off and get a new one.

Really, you need to get the car to a wheel shop and let them do the whole thing for you. I've been there with my subaru before... it sucks, but it's not all that bad.
You mean studs are splined right?? I was just gonna buy a whole new hub since im pretty sure the splines are stripped. but you never know.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

i had a similar problem recently. i got my clutch replaced and the shop cross threaded and stripped two of my lugs and wheels studs.

i ended up having to take it to the dealer and they drilled the one out that was spinning around.

for the removal, two new studs, and two new lugs it cost me about $85.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i had a similar problem recently. i got my clutch replaced and the shop cross threaded and stripped two of my lugs and wheels studs.

i ended up having to take it to the dealer and they drilled the one out that was spinning around.

for the removal, two new studs, and two new lugs it cost me about $85.
Which end did they drill it out from??

To all that responded. Thanks Alot.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stevEVO8
You mean studs are splined right?? I was just gonna buy a whole new hub since im pretty sure the splines are stripped. but you never know.
I got the terminology wrong, sorry. Yeah, I mean the threaded stud is splined. I seriously doubt that you stripped the stud.... I would expect the threads to strip before you could reach the torque to strip the splines out from the hub. Never say never though.

Why would you think that the splines stripped from the hub? Does the lug nut spin when you put torque on it? If it spins and you can't get the damn lug nut off... then yeah, the stud splines stripped. However, if the lug spins and you haven't tried to pull it off, you never know.

They will have to remove the stud from the hub by drilling it out from the back side of the hub. Problem is, you have to remove the wheel... and that's your problem isn't it?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Just re-read what you said. So yeah, I think that you stripped out the splines from the hub. You will probably have to tack weld it in place from the back side of the hub to get the lug nut off. Then you will have to grind off that tack weld, remove the stud and inspect the hub spline insert.

Chances are, the hub needs to be replaced anyway. That sucks. What kind of ft/lbs are you using to put your lug nuts on? All you need is ~80 ft/lbs. Some cheap *** tire and wheel shops don't know that and they use the same torque that they use for friggin trucks. I have to remind them to only use 80 ft/lbs when I get new tires installed.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Take a little saw, like a hack saw. Saw off the head from behind the cover. It's gonna take some time. Use a dremel cut off wheel and go at it.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Or get a pair of channel locks and try to back the lug off...which most likly isnt going to happen.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same problem and ended up drilling it out (through the front of the lug). It was a PITA.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yes the stud just spins as you turn the lug, some lunkhead must have used the impact that or conan hand torqued them.

So im thinking drill out from the front

tack weld the stud to the hub from the rear

use a air chisel from the back and try to jam the stud into the hub

either way i am gonna have to replace the hub,
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:07 AM

Have you tried using an impact to remove it. Even though it spins the rapid blows from an impact might be enough to knock it lose. I would give it a shot atleast.

As far as the studs being splined, I would hardly call it that. They are actually straight knurled and it is pretty much a press fit in to the hub.

If you can get it out without damaging the hub you probably wont need to replace it.

Quick Reply: Lug Stuck on broken Stud