Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Tires - Yokohama Advan S4

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sucks to buy a car you cant afford real tires for then, i read your entire post, and im telling you you made a bad decision. thanks for trying to be a know-it-all though! lol
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ you don't seem to comprehend what he meant by living in downtown chicago and having 2 set of tires not being an option for him. It is clearly not a matter of whether he can afford 2 sets of tires, but instead a matter of storing an extra set of tires. Good job attempting to put someone down though who is doing nothing other than volunteering information which can be used by others who are in a similar situation. If you had actually read the thread and comprehended it, you would have know to not post and move on. You are obviously not the target audience.

Point of this thread is what again? derrrrrr
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
^^ you don't seem to comprehend what he meant by living in downtown Chicago and having 2 set of tires not being an option for him. It is clearly not a matter of whether he can afford 2 sets of tires, but instead a matter of storing an extra set of tires. Good job attempting to put someone down though who is doing nothing other than volunteering information which can be used by others who are in a similar situation. If you had actually read the thread and comprehended it, you would have know to not post and move on. You are obviously not the target audience.

Point of this thread is what again? derrrrrr
Thanks. I don't think he understands the purpose of this website, other than to make himself feel good with short sighted quips and down plays at another's expense, any Father would know this. But ...

Back on topic.

So I had a break in the snow (dry and salty) and got to drive on both the city streets and in a parking lot to test the responsiveness of these tires. Overall the car seems to float a bit (like I said earlier), like a more luxurious car would. Braking from 65 - 70mph to 0 was great but not fantastic. I can definitely feel the extra height of the tread on WOT, and during cornering and braking (feels sloppy but predictable and as I said I like that a little). In the open lot of Home Depot I did some stress testing in cornering (30-35mph) and sliding after pushing the back end out. The car responds as it should and inspires confidence if you like a looser feel. If you prefer to have instant feedback like the AO46 give in the dry and warm, then I would go for a Nokian or some other comparable winter tire, but if you like to mix it up, then these will be great for you.

I am going snowboarding tomorrow in Wisconsin and will have the chance to experiment some more.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the review

I am considering these tires also.

Winter tires are mostly wasted in north missouri, with 4WD all season tires seem like a good compromise.

I would appreciate all of your opinions on these tires.

Thanks

Mitsuatb
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Its like a heat wave has blown into Chicago, nearly 50 degrees! So I will do some driving tonight and post my insights.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the delay. On Sunday I headed up to Cascade for a day of snowboarding. When I left it was dry and salty here in Chicago and for most of the trip north while I was in Illinois. Dry conditions yielded these results: Road noise was minimal but noticeable as opposed to prior outings, steering response was tight and quick, and acceleration was typical.

As I entered Wisconsin it began to snow, hence the roads became wet, similar to rain because of the amount of snow that was falling. Steering response in the rain was exceptional, not like in the snow, and overall handling inspired confidence. I tried changing lanes quickly while accelerating and steering response was amazing.

Overall I would have to say that these tires inspire confidence in the dry and in the rain, waiting for monsoons to be sure, and road noise was easily tolerated. In the snow however I would say that if you require instant feedback and want the kind of control you have in the dry on the stock Advans, then go with a Nokian or other comparable winter tire. I am happy with my decision and enjoy the ease with which I can push the car around in the snow on these tires.

I would not recommend these tires for everyone, as I said earlier. I hope this thread has and will help some of you make a decision about your future tire needs. Thanks for the support.

Drive safe
Old Mar 28, 2008, 03:04 AM
Evolved Member

i live in downtown chicago too but looking to get those exact same tires...im running yokohama neova...and yes they are nice but very expensive and wear out quick...i drove them through all winter...lol...i know it was a bad idea so looking for alternatives now.... where did you get yours , what size and how much??? good to hear positive reviews on this setup....let me know how is the tire wearing?? it has a treadwear rating of 400 so im assuming it would last a alot longer than stock...