Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Tires - Yokohama Advan S4

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires - Yokohama Advan S4

I bring up this topic because of the many discussions about tires for our cars. So this thread is dedicated to one tire, the Yokohama Advan S4 Ultra High Performance All-Season.

I just purchased them last week and they will be installed on Saturday the 10th of February, 2007. From what I can gather they are great tires and will suit the conditions I live in very well.

I live in Downtown Chicago and most of the time the roads are plowed, but we also get a lot of rain in the off season and when it is not cold enough to snow. So I decided upon a tire that would be great in moderate rain, but also has the silica compound that keeps the tires pliable during the colder months.

I have gotten 24k miles out of my stock tires (1 Year) and they are amazing, but I needed something for the winter months and because having two sets is not an option right now I am going with these.

Here is what the tire rack says about the tire:
The ADVAN S.4. is Yokohama’s Ultra High Performance All-Season tire designed to provide a more civilized ride and improved noise characteristics compared to other ADVAN products. The ADVAN S.4. was developed for the drivers of premium performance coupes and sedans who desire year-round traction, including light snow.

The ADVAN S.4. molds a silica-enhanced all-season tread compound into a directional tread design with continuous circumferential center ribs and sweeping independent intermediate tread blocks to sharpen steering response and road feel, as well as reduce tire noise on dry roads. Sipes provide the biting edges needed to enhance light snow traction while circumferential and sweeping lateral grooves evacuate water to resist hydroplaning. The tire’s structure includes two steel belts reinforced with jointless nylon under the tread area to enhance wear and ride comfort while providing high-speed durability and predictable handling.

Here is a link to the tires on Tire Rack.com
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....speed_rating=Y

I will post my observations in a later post. Just want to open the floor to others who are using/wanting these tires.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

I almost bought these tires but no one ever responded to my thread...good thread!
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

my condolences.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Alright already, quit beating down my door for information on these tires. gees.

2.13.07 in the AM...
Dry and Salty.

So my initial observations about these tires is that they seem to float a little bit. What I mean by this is that because of the sipes in the tires and the fact that the patches of solid tire are bisected by larger gaps and sipes, they lend themselves to perform in a more sluggish fashion. Bumps and gaps that I encounter everyday are softer and less abrupt. Since I am dealing with an all season tire the depth of the tread is greater hence the floating feeling and smoother ride. Road noise is not really noticeable yet, and I don't expect it to be. Keep in mind that these tires are brand new and have less than 13 miles on them so a bit of a break in period will be needed, and I am comparing them against the stock advans. As I drove on the stock advan tires through the winter and summer last year.

Tonight I will be heading out to a large empty parking lot to enjoy the freshly fallen snow!!!!!!! More information to come.

Last edited by Masanari; Feb 13, 2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

I just bought Yokohama Advan Neova's 245s

so far there pretty nice.. REALLY LOUD.. my God i didnt know tires could get sooooo freakin loud!

good luck with the snow drifting, be carefull lol
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

its an all-season. why not get a nice set of summer tires, and then a set of winter tires? instead of the proverbial "No-season tire".
Old Feb 13, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

I let you figure that out.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
its an all-season. why not get a nice set of summer tires, and then a set of winter tires? instead of the proverbial "No-season tire".
I agree. Price shouldn't be an issue since we own a 28K+ car. So 1500 {+or 1 $500} for a set of Bliz and K1-TS should be too much of an issue but to each their own.

For some reason for me, it doesn't seem right to not have Extreme Performance shoes on an EVO unless it winter time.

That's Just me though.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

"its an all-season. why not get a nice set of summer tires, and then a set of winter tires? instead of the proverbial "No-season tire"."

Very attentive reader. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Masanari; Feb 14, 2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

"I agree. Price shouldn't be an issue since we own a 28K+ car. So 1500 {+or 1 $500} for a set of Bliz and K1-TS should be too much of an issue but to each their own.

For some reason for me, it doesn't seem right to not have Extreme Performance shoes on an EVO unless it winter time.

That's Just me though."

Another attentive reader, I will let you figure it out too. Point of this thread is what?

Last edited by Masanari; Feb 14, 2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Product Testing

BACK ON TOPIC.

(Tarmac Mode)
So I went out last night for about three hours of driving both on public streets and in a large parking lot assessing the strengths and weaknesses of these tires. My initial reaction in the slush (1-3in.) of the city streets was fantastic, very responsive in the deeper areas yet able to come to a stop from 30mph very quickly with minimal ABS activation. Initial wheel grip from a stop was decent, minor wheel slippage and overall it was a little loose. But within 10-15 ft. the car was stable again.

(Parking Lot 3-4in. fresh snow) While in a partial sideways slide (15-20mph) I liberally applied the brakes and the car responded well, coming to a stop within 12-15ft. Same results for driving in a straight line and fully applying the brakes. Turning response was decent, quick turns did not yield desired results, but adding a little throttle completed the turn with minimal sliding. Overall I am impressed with the handling and response from these tires considering they are not designed for deep snow or torrential rain. I prefer to control the car with the throttle as I get more enjoyment out of it and I feel like I have more control over the car. I would not recommend these tires to anyone who feels squeamish when their car feels loose. They are great performers out of their comfort zone and I expect them to be excellent in 1-2in. slush/snow/standing water.

In terms of road noise, I did not notice any at all.
More to come.

Last edited by Masanari; Feb 14, 2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO

Haha...no season tire...how right u are.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
^^apparently no one actually reads posts that are longer than 2 sentences these days.

HAVING 2 SETS OF TIRES IS NOT AN OPTION FOR HIM. HE LIVES IN DOWNTOWN CHICAGO.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
^^apparently no one actually reads posts that are longer than 2 sentences these days.

HAVING 2 SETS OF TIRES IS NOT AN OPTION FOR HIM. HE LIVES IN DOWNTOWN CHICAGO.
Thanks for taking the time to point that out. I am to busy to lead people by the hand.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Now that the snow is removed from the streets here in Chicago, well in the downtown area anyway, only small shallow puddles exist. The water traction capabilities are great, just stay out of boost, but thats logical. While the streets were wet last night I did try to do some stress testing in an empty parking lot. From 30mph and applying full brakes the tires reacted with well, inspiring confidence. Turning at the same speed was decent, but not inspiring, be cautioned you will end up in the wall. But it was very cold last night 18-23 deg. I will do more rigorous testing tonight/tomorrow night after the commuters leave. More to come.

Quick Reply: New Tires - Yokohama Advan S4