Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone know of a street tire that "likes" negative camber?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:13 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, that's not what I was saying. You get two custom alignments - one for street and one for race. You have the camber plates marked for each setting, and you write down the number of turns on the tie rod for changing toe to spec. Leave the rear the same for both race and street, and then when it's time to race, you spend 15-20 mins changing the camber and toe up front. The only tools I need are an alan wrench for the camber plates and two 22mm wrenches for the tie rods.

Simple, easy, and effective. You don't have to go get re-aligned each month...
OT, but, Warrtalon spelled Allen wrench Alan wrench. Is he losing it?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, that isn't a bad idea! I don't know why I never thought about that. I will just run two settings and have some tick marks so I can just re-adjust when needed. My only fear is how accurate this will be. By using the tick marks, you are still going by what you can visibly see, which will always be worse than what a laser guided alignment rack can measure =)
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, that's not what I was saying. You get two custom alignments - one for street and one for race. You have the camber plates marked for each setting, and you write down the number of turns on the tie rod for changing toe to spec. Leave the rear the same for both race and street, and then when it's time to race, you spend 15-20 mins changing the camber and toe up front. The only tools I need are an alan wrench for the camber plates and two 22mm wrenches for the tie rods.

Simple, easy, and effective. You don't have to go get re-aligned each month...
that's the way to go.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

I have been using -2.5 degrees negative camber at the front since I got my 8 in '03. I adjusted the camber with Cusco camber plates. Even with 0 toe, the original AO46 and later Falken tires both wore out on the inner shoulder before the rest of the thread.

Last Spring, I started using the Nitto NeoGen tires someone mentioned in an earlier post. These are advertised to be friendly to negative cambered cars. I wasn't able to find out whether it was because of a harder rubber compound on the inner shoulder or what. Anway, so far so good. The wear looks pretty even, though I only have about 5K miles on them.

FWIW, my track tires (255/40 RA1s on 17x9s) show pretty even wear. I optimized the tire pressure to give relatively even thread temperatures across the thread width.