Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone know of a street tire that "likes" negative camber?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know of a street tire that "likes" negative camber?

I will probably going with a -2.5 front camber, and -1 rear camber for AutoX this season, does anyone know of a decent street tire I could use in between events? I will be running kuhmo v710's, but when not racing I would like a street tire that wouldn't immediately cord itself when driving on public streets. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost any street tire will be fine with the camber settings you listed as long as your toe is zero'd. Toe wears tires, not camber.

Corey #89 STU
Old Feb 10, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CoreyR
Almost any street tire will be fine with the camber settings you listed as long as your toe is zero'd. Toe wears tires, not camber.

Corey #89 STU
+1 ... it's toe that is the tire killer

What size V710s are you running?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:40 PM

I hate to be fly in the posting here but I have a camber problem and It is eating my tires. My driver sdie was -1.70 and the tires on that side were rotated and died at 4500 miles.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:43 PM

The best the shop could do was get it to -1.48, I changed dampers and springs from VIII to MR's. The problem came right back. The driver side was set in Vegas and I drove to Reno and it was back at -1.70 again. The alignment shop ordered me some camber adjustment bolts for the upper bolt. They will be in next week and I will have the Camber reset to mid way in the acceptable range.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ispeedtoo
The best the shop could do was get it to -1.48, I changed dampers and springs from VIII to MR's. The problem came right back. The driver side was set in Vegas and I drove to Reno and it was back at -1.70 again. The alignment shop ordered me some camber adjustment bolts for the upper bolt. They will be in next week and I will have the Camber reset to mid way in the acceptable range.
You shouldn't have any negative wear issues below -2 deg camber. Make SURE the tech sets you front toe to ZERO and rear toe about 1/16 IN. The OEM camber bolts should hold fine provided the install them correctly and they are torqued to spec (130 ft-lbs). I didn't have any issues with mine (camber bolts or tires) in over 10K miles and 20 autox events (autox only on 285 R-compounds) and -3 deg!

Last edited by kekek; Feb 11, 2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Strange, last year I set my camber to similar settings and my Michelin pilot sports all wore down to the cords on the inside within 15,000 miles. Not sure, maybe those tires just suck. Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it!
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah,

i agree with what is said here,

toe kills tires...

bump steer issues could kill it in the corners... dragging the inside with the camber and toe together...

but generally its incorrect toe, and straightline tracking

cb
Old Feb 11, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sonic, I just switch to my street setting between races (-1.5f/-1.0r) with 0 toe so that I have no wear issues. I only put it at -3.0f and 1/16th toe for races.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i dont think anyone actually answered ur original question. i believe nitto makes a tire for negative camber with higher wear on the innner portion of the rubber. to be honest i saw them in an ad in a magazine and the only info given was what i just stated, so i dont know how they actually turned out on the street. nto1 maybe? check it out
Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:57 PM

nitto neo gen.but i havent heard anithing about them besides the ad
Old Feb 13, 2007, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just run something with a super treadwear.

the harder the tire, the longer it lasts.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

I would rather not have to switch my camber in between races because I lack the knowledge and equipment to do the proper alignment, so it will cost alot of time and money to have it done every month in between races to go to a shop. I will look into the Nitto's, I thought I saw an advertisement for a street tire that claimed to take to negative camber better than others, but couldn't remember what tire it was. I guess I could always switch to a higher treadwear, but then I wouldn't have any grip! =)
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
just run something with a super treadwear.

the harder the tire, the longer it lasts.
And the more it sucks. If you like grip i mean.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I would rather not have to switch my camber in between races because I lack the knowledge and equipment to do the proper alignment, so it will cost alot of time and money to have it done every month in between races to go to a shop. I will look into the Nitto's, I thought I saw an advertisement for a street tire that claimed to take to negative camber better than others, but couldn't remember what tire it was. I guess I could always switch to a higher treadwear, but then I wouldn't have any grip! =)
No, that's not what I was saying. You get two custom alignments - one for street and one for race. You have the camber plates marked for each setting, and you write down the number of turns on the tie rod for changing toe to spec. Leave the rear the same for both race and street, and then when it's time to race, you spend 15-20 mins changing the camber and toe up front. The only tools I need are an alan wrench for the camber plates and two 22mm wrenches for the tie rods.

Simple, easy, and effective. You don't have to go get re-aligned each month...

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a street tire that "likes" negative camber?