Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lowering springs for EVO 9 with bilstein

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swift my friend, i love mine it looks clean, as well not to low!!!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Warrtalon maybe you should see what Robi has to say about that. Some of the fastest cars he has tuned have Swift or Espelir springs and swaybars. Why buy cheap coilovers that will wear out fast. Springs, bushings, swaybar cost about $650, find coilover that are that much and will last, megans are more money and are known not to last the longest. For everyday driving and some track (not everybody is hardcore track monkey) I think Swift or Espelir would be fine. Talk to Robi he will set you up right.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears87
Springs, bushings, swaybar cost about $650
Much less then that.

- Andrew
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I stand corrected, $555 for Swift Springs, 25mm Perrin Swaybar, and Whiteline bumpsteer bushings. For that price you will never get coilovers that work as good as that setup.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbsears87
Well Warrtalon maybe you should see what Robi has to say about that. Some of the fastest cars he has tuned have Swift or Espelir springs and swaybars. Why buy cheap coilovers that will wear out fast. Springs, bushings, swaybar cost about $650, find coilover that are that much and will last, megans are more money and are known not to last the longest. For everyday driving and some track (not everybody is hardcore track monkey) I think Swift or Espelir would be fine. Talk to Robi he will set you up right.
Can you explain that comment?

I getting ready to buy a set of megans and are curious...
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Which is the best rear swaybar? Have decided to go for Swift springs now..

Another question, which brake pads are recommended for track use?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Can you explain that comment?

I getting ready to buy a set of megans and are curious...
It just means that having adjustability usually comes with a shorten lifespan for the shock (there are other variables as well). Coilovers shocks (depending on use) need to be rebuilt more frequently than regular shocks. On the other hand the Bilstein shocks have a reputation of lasting forever. So in the long run you are going to pay more to have Megan coilovers rebuilt/revalved than if you decide just to do a good set of springs and MR Bilstein shocks.

Originally Posted by andber
Which is the best rear swaybar? Have decided to go for Swift springs now..

Another question, which brake pads are recommended for track use?
Progress, Whiteline and Cusco all make great swaybars. As long as they fit without rubbing issues they are all great.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Feb 26, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:55 PM

In my experience it is worth saving up for a nice set of adjustable coilover suspension.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

I agree totally with the above. From my experience a good spring (ie swift or Espelir) have a good reputation of working great with the stock struts and turn some pretty good laptimes and last for quite awhile, and are comfortable on a day to day basis. On the other hand you have megan coilovers, yes they may be a tad bit better for the track guru but at the cost of longevity. Cheap coilovers wont last that long, maybe 1-2 years with regular tracking, sometimes less. A good coilover will last quite a bit longer but you will pay to play, at least $1200-$2000 for decent ones. So for if you go the coilover route just save for good ones, if not 99.9% of people with the above mentioned springs, swaybars, and bushings are totally satisfied. For andber most the 25mm adjustable rear swaybars are similiar, pick the one you like. Most people use RRE, Perrin, Cusco, Progress ect. Brake pads I have always had good experience with ferodo 2500 series, if you need more the 3000 series are good also. There are quite a few pads that work good though.

Last edited by dbsears; Feb 27, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

SWIFT SPRINGS... work with the blistens and you will get that lowered look without lost performance.. i have a set myself and like them very much
Old Mar 4, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

post some picture~
Old Mar 5, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Warrtalon is right about the benefits of corner balancing and the fact that coilovers may negate the need for a rear stabilizer bar, plus they often come with camber plates, and the adjustability per dollar is great.

However on the issue of the dampers themselves, valving, and durability, there are also benefits to the Bilsteins. Maybe not benefits you will definitely appreciate in the first year, but enough that I have even considered a Bilstein/Ground control setup to combine the benefits of the Bilsteins longevity, appropriate valving, etc with the ability of corner weighting. Unfortunately the cost of executing such a setup properly pretty much warrants just getting a coilover setup, so I don't know of anyone who has.

There is alot of misinformation and downright ignorance about suspensions, adjustability, etc. More clicks doesn't mean more adjustable, more adjustable doesn't mean more options for optimum handling, lower doesn't mean improved handling, setting "X" on the front left damper doesn't always equal setting "X" on front right damper, etc.

Here are some interesting and important thing to consider when thinking about dampers:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html
Old Mar 23, 2007, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

Yo guys... I just orderd from bilstein europe a suspension kit for my IX.
Its a full setup non-adjustble. its called b12 for evo 7-8-9.
It lowers the front with 35 mm and 20 mm in the back.
The price would be 1400 $.... and it is a full kit made by bilstein.
I think the known relibility and performance is well known ... so why bother making improvisations?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

give the Epelir GT springs a try, you might like them
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ducu
Yo guys... I just orderd from bilstein europe a suspension kit for my IX.
Its a full setup non-adjustble. its called b12 for evo 7-8-9.
It lowers the front with 35 mm and 20 mm in the back.
The price would be 1400 $.... and it is a full kit made by bilstein.
I think the known relibility and performance is well known ... so why bother making improvisations?
Can you tell us the website or shop that you purchase your set up from.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Lowering springs for EVO 9 with bilstein