Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Track Rotor advice (replacing stocks)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KevinD
big difference between the heat you get from an autocross then from at the track.

autocrossing is still racing by all means, and from the national level evos i've worked on, they are still bright red brakes.
Right, but he said he auto-x'ed and raced often. I read that to be racing seperately from auto-x.

I honestly can't see you getting pad fade and boiling fluid during an auto-x. Those are reasons to upgrade rotors. On a track, you need to dissappate the heat, i'd imagine you want to keep the rotors as hot as you can during the 40 second run, right?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Mayhem, do you have brake ducts already?

- Andrew
No ducts here, just those OEM brake air guide things. I could use some though for those really hot/humid days. Not that it matters though, because I think my evo days are over. Say hello to my lil e30 friend.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

They're just normal wear cracks, they're not even affecting normal braking right now with the stock pads... My race pads are about 30x grippier than the HPs (note: over-exaggeration), and they're slicks, not R-compounds.

So with two-piecers they're like 700 for the front pair and then only like 200 for the set to replace the part that will need replacing in the future? Are they better with heat than the stockers? Any advice from the track ******, Robi etc?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i made that picture when we did put it on, on my old 8...
now i have white RS, Sherlock. Check it out on the side where i post it.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 22, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mayhem
No ducts here, just those OEM brake air guide things. I could use some though for those really hot/humid days. Not that it matters though, because I think my evo days are over. Say hello to my lil e30 friend.
I want an e30.....much cooler then an old miata. (Saying that over on nasioc will get you get smacked around )

That's pretty impressive you got that much life out of your rotors.

- Andrew
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
They're just normal wear cracks, they're not even affecting normal braking right now with the stock pads... My race pads are about 30x grippier than the HPs (note: over-exaggeration), and they're slicks, not R-compounds.

So with two-piecers they're like 700 for the front pair and then only like 200 for the set to replace the part that will need replacing in the future? Are they better with heat than the stockers? Any advice from the track ******, Robi etc?
incorrect.

the pf 2 piece are like 600 and like 550-560 for the replacement rotor part. thats where i'm saying get the whole assembly, rather than the pieces.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
incorrect.

the pf 2 piece are like 600 and like 550-560 for the replacement rotor part. thats where i'm saying get the whole assembly, rather than the pieces.
I don't want to spend 500+ on replacements... Replacing pads and other maitenence is already enough. That's what I'm saying. Unless the 1100 dollars I spend on two-piecers will last me 5+ years of track racing with GT Spec brake pads (turn-your-rotors-orange-from-heat pads and view-lots-of-smoke-if-you-stop-without-cooling-down pads).
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

I don't want to spend 500+ on replacements... Replacing pads and other maitenence is already enough. That's what I'm saying. Unless the 1100 dollars I spend on two-piecers will last me 5+ years of track racing with GT Spec brake pads (turn-your-rotors-orange-from-heat pads and view-lots-of-smoke-if-you-stop-without-cooling-down pads).
well, i think i had 16-18 events on my pf's when i swapped to a new set of rotors. Still had plenty of life, but with no ducting, the surface heat cracks were getting kinda big, and i retired them to the backup role with a new set.

When i say events, i'm talking 200-250 miles of HARD track driving. Robi, or anybody that attends florida events will back that one up

I'd say the wear rate is phenomenal, honestly.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

I'm with Mayhem on this one. I've used stock rotors from the beginning, only changing to something different this year becuse I'm getting help. I'll be running DBA 1 piece rotors this year, along with Ti shims and modified dust shields. Cooling is the biggest factor for sure, and I had plenty of problems last year dealing with the heat. A duct kit is probably the best idea, but I'm pretty low buck too, so I'm using the stock air guides as well.

Chris - you racing the e30?? Shoot me a PM!
Attached Thumbnails Track Rotor advice (replacing stocks)-dscn2336_sm.jpg  

Last edited by 992gnt; Feb 23, 2007 at 04:18 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

So the verdict sounds like ducting and some of the stock-like rotors. Now I just need to find replacements for the stock rotors that aren't slotted or drilled... Sigh. STikiller.com had some but they don't appear to have them anymore.

These see ~100-200 hard track miles every weekend that there's an event (so, roughly every other weekend from March to October). The Z06s and Porsches will back that up Gotta get past em somehow.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...rs-p-2507.html

Those, for example. And 500 is still pretty expensive, but we can't all have s2000s with replacement rotors costing 50 bucks a piece I guess...
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Now I just need to find replacements for the stock rotors that aren't slotted or drilled... Sigh. .
The only ones I ever found that weren't OEM, were offered by Evobrakes. I've Pm'd the guy back & forth a few times and he seems like the type of vendor we should all be dealing with and not the kind that likes to blow smoke and inflated prices.