Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Track Rotor advice (replacing stocks)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track Rotor advice (replacing stocks)

My stock rotors are cracked (slightly), after two years of racing on strong track pads. Rumor has it that the stocks are really expensive and not even the best ones, especially for their price. So my question is, what does everyone recommend for good stock rotors? I am running slicks and full track pads and the car sees a large amount of events per year. So: What's good for the buck, and what's the best? I don't want 1500 dollar rotors that will last a year but stop me on a dime, the pads and tires stop me just fine.

What's the advice, oh gurus?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

PFC FTW! $699 for 2-piece fronts and you can replace just the rotors for less $$$ when they wear out.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:08 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

If you just want stock-like rotors, pick up a set of Centric blank rotors. You can find them for like $150 a pair.

Even if you warp or wear them out - they're cheap enough to replace. I did a couple of track days on them and they're still fine.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Links and more info jbrown?

I don't mind 700 for two-piecers (since they seem to be what everyone wants) if only part of them have to be replaced for less in the future (kinda like buying my 1200 dollar rims to fit take-off slicks ). More information in general about two-pieces would be nice, and any other recommendations as well.

And btw: sorry for the typo but I meant good stock replacement, the stocks don't withstand heat nearly enough for me and slotted and drilled are definitly out (had too many problems with serious cracking with both types on previous cars with less mean brakes). I'm not looking for cheap, I'm just not looking for, "I'm a pro-racer, and can afford to replace half my car every 5 track days" either.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:22 AM
Evolved Member

Racing Brake BBK upgrade is what I'm running and I'm loving them. They're 14.5" diameter 2-piece units (18" wheel required) with bigger 6-piston calipers. The replacement rings are $200 each, and the whole kit is initially just under $2k. Drastically improved consistency over stock unit with race pads/fluid/lines.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UT_Evo

I don't mind 700 for two-piecers (since they seem to be what everyone wants) if only part of them have to be replaced for less in the future (kinda like buying my 1200 dollar rims to fit take-off slicks ). More information in general about two-pieces would be nice, and any other recommendations as well.

And btw: sorry for the typo but I meant good stock replacement, the stocks don't withstand heat nearly enough for me and slotted and drilled are definitly out (had too many problems with serious cracking with both types on previous cars with less mean brakes). I'm not looking for cheap, I'm just not looking for, "I'm a pro-racer, and can afford to replace half my car every 5 track days" either.
If you get the 2 piece PF's. DO NOT purchase the rotors without the hats.

It is an honest hour and a half (at least) per side to swap and save the aluminium hub. And it's only cheaper by like 20 bucks a side.

Honestly, not worth the fiddling with the tiny allen wrench and small sockets.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
If you get the 2 piece PF's. DO NOT purchase the rotors without the hats.

It is an honest hour and a half (at least) per side to swap and save the aluminium hub. And it's only cheaper by like 20 bucks a side.

Honestly, not worth the fiddling with the tiny allen wrench and small sockets.

+1 buy the complete rotor assembled.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

exactly. Nobody seems to want to admit that, and lets everyone else do it.

man that was a pain in my ***.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i'm using EBC rotors for two years now... absolutly no problem crack or anything. i autox and race very offen.also i using Hawk HP pads/squeeks a lot/
the whole set up for 4 rotors cost less then $470...
here is the link to check it out:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...=292&year=2005

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 22, 2007 at 04:11 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

if your calipers look like that, you don't race at all.

those suckers are brand new.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
if your calipers look like that, you don't race at all.

those suckers are brand new.

big difference between the heat you get from an autocross then from at the track.

autocrossing is still racing by all means, and from the national level evos i've worked on, they are still bright red brakes.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Good info here - read post #34 and 52:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=160881

Good pics here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=251881

I have been running the Giro's for about 18 months now and will be upgrading to the PFC's up front next time around.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

My stock rotors are cracked (slightly), after two years of racing on strong track pads. Rumor has it that the stocks are really expensive and not even the best ones, especially for their price. So my question is, what does everyone recommend for good stock rotors? I am running slicks and full track pads and the car sees a large amount of events per year. So: What's good for the buck, and what's the best? I don't want 1500 dollar rotors that will last a year but stop me on a dime, the pads and tires stop me just fine.

What's the advice, oh gurus?
One thing you might want to do here is tell us what kind of cracks you have. There are bad cracks and normal cracks. If it's just your typical heat/stress cracks it's no big deal.
Personally I'm a cheapass, so I don't spend the big bucks until I've determined it is the only solution. If you're running full r-comps and track pads I'm sure you've already checked into brake ducts, but I have to mention it anyway. So if it was me, I'd continue to look into brake cooling and cheaper one piece rotors.

Maybe pick up some used OEM rotors for cheap. There's a lot of them for sale here since so many kids instantly switch over to some blingin rotor. If yours lasted you so long, it might not be a bad thing to stick with it. I've been using my OEM rotors for track only purposes for 3 years. That is a single set...the original rotors. They've had a combo of track pads and r-comps with a few occasions of overheated brake fluid for flavor and they appear fine and are still within spec thickness. I'd say they're good rotors.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mayhem, do you have brake ducts already?

- Andrew