Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Buying rotors for the Evo (cheap ones)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying rotors for the Evo (cheap ones)

I will need to purchase rotors soon for my Evo. Due to incompetent mechanics, my stockers were turned twice and now they shudder under braking horribly. I think they are probably too thin now to be turned again...

At any rate, new rotors cost so much money for this car...it seems foolish to spend so much money on a consumable part. Do you guys know if Autozone sells rotors sized for the Evo? I have seen rotors on Ebay for ~250-300 dollars, has any one tried these?

What is the downside to buying cheap rotors? Is it really worth to spend 4-700 bucks on better ones?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get powerslots for about $280 for both front rotors and about $249 for both rear rotors. you pretty much get what you paid for, street driven evos(making stock power) generally don't need such crazy brake systems. If you plan on tracking then i would strongly suggest getting better rotors and pads but they generally add up to $$$. It's really up to you and what you want to do with your car. look around the forums a bit, i know CVRmotorsports sells powerslot rotrs and Z1auto does too. You have quite a bit of selection with your given price range: DBA, Powerslot, Stoptech, Racing Brakes, etc... These are all single piece rotors and slotted. IMO I would ratehr get those than cheap out on Ebay stock or even autozone. Whatever floats your boat man, but remember these are your brakes, they help stop your car along with your tires so just keep that in mind.

If you really want to obtain BALLER STATUS then you can go with two piece rotors front and back, technically they're cheaper than single piece but often RARE! Really depends which single piece your talking about. Hope this helps out somewhat.

Tim

Last edited by timmiii; Feb 22, 2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I said 250-300, I was talking about all 4 rotors

I'd think people who track the car would be even MORE interested in cheaper rotors. Rotors are a significant portion of the consumables costs in tracking.

I know when I used to frequent Honda circles, Integra Type R guys who tracked their cars often LOVED Autozone rotors - they were cheap, reliable, easily accessible.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Try contacting Rich at RotorPros. He sells Centric blanks. I'm happy with mine, esp given the price.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

PM EVObrakes. He has Centric blanks and Hawk pads dirt cheap. I decided to go with the SP Performance slotted rotors but even still way cheaper than stock replacements.

Edit: I think Rotor Pros is the company and EVObrakes the screename so I think we are on the same page here.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
PM EVObrakes. He has Centric blanks and Hawk pads dirt cheap. I decided to go with the SP Performance slotted rotors but even still way cheaper than stock replacements.

Edit: I think Rotor Pros is the company and EVObrakes the screename so I think we are on the same page here.
I am most definitely NOT rotor pros....
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bump for EVObrakes for not using cheap blanks
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:48 AM

yeah, avoid cheap rotors... you'll have to replace them in no time.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
I will need to purchase rotors soon for my Evo. Due to incompetent mechanics, my stockers were turned twice and now they shudder under braking horribly. I think they are probably too thin now to be turned again...

At any rate, new rotors cost so much money for this car...it seems foolish to spend so much money on a consumable part. Do you guys know if Autozone sells rotors sized for the Evo? I have seen rotors on Ebay for ~250-300 dollars, has any one tried these?

What is the downside to buying cheap rotors? Is it really worth to spend 4-700 bucks on better ones?
make them pay!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

My friend put power slots on his 03 8 for his daily driver. Its lightely modded and will never see any racing except for the dragstrip maybe 2-3 times ayear. He loves them.He put hawk hps pads on with them and has no problems with stopping,vibration,etc.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered stoptech for $202 fro the fronts and $168 for the rears... from gscmotorsports.com great deals!!!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

by the way I have used stoptech on my last evo....great rotor!!!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Rotorpros sells on eBay, $250 shipped for (4) (Centric?) blank rotors on eBay. According to Stoptech, "As the performance engineering and manufacturing division of Centric Parts" .... so unless they do something different to the rotors they sell or Rotorpros is not selling Centric.

Last edited by Ookami; Feb 22, 2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

As mentioned earlier, just pick up some cheap blanks from EvoBrakes.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I have gone thru about 4 sets of rotors. I have Powerslots and they are warped, not as bad as the stockers..but still warped. I would stay away from R1 concepts rotors. Good Customer service $hitty product. I will be making one last purchase, and I believe it will be Racing Brake Rotors. I am willing to pay the $300.00+ asking price per rotor.

Quick Reply: Buying rotors for the Evo (cheap ones)