Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Falken RT-615 vs Kumho MX Results!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 07:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Falken RT-615 vs Kumho MX Results!

There's been a lot threads trying to compare these tires. I was in the same position a couple weeks ago trying to find a tire to replace my Falkens. I was satisfied with them, but they didn't give me much confidence in the wet.

Handling!
The Falkens and Kumho's are equal in my opinion as far as dry traction. They both handle very well and are very preditable tires. After putting both tires thru alot of abuse back to back to back. the Falkens seem to be able to take a little more abuse than the kumho's before overheating them. At the Kumho's defense they only have 300 miles on them, and these tires are known for getting better as they wear down. As oppose to my falkens the more worn they got the worse they preformed.

Launching!
My cars is about 400whp so finding a tire that isn't a drag radial without spending 250 a tire is pretty challenging as most of you know. The falkens stuck great when i was at about 350whp before my methanol. after my methanol they had no hope. at the strip i would spin first and a little in second. every launch they went from bad to worse, the more abuse i gave them. even at the drag strip after doing a burn out they wouldn't catch. the kumho on the other hand are amazing. with my power doing a 6k launch i had very very very minimal spinning ON THE STREET! this is with 32/29 tire pressure in both tires. keep in mind the tires are still fresh! On the track I may need to add some tire pressure or raise my 2step.

In The Wet!
The falkens flat out suck in the wet. they hydroplane like no other. i felt like i had to constantly have two hands on a wheel at all times. In florida it rains so much, its almost worth getting a tire with better wet performance than dry performance. The kumho's are great, i find them to give me a lot more confidence. just for testing i've been aiming for puddles while driving to test them. so far they haven't let me down at all. on my previous car (audi a4 quattro) i had michelin ps2's, conti 2, and goodyear f1's. these tires are actually comparable to those in wet traction, and those are suppose to be the top 3 for wet performance.

Life!
i cant say yet but i think i should get a little more out of these tires than i got out of my falkens. i got 11k on the falkens beating the living hell out of them, theres a lot more tread on here new. they're both rated at 200. so i'll be happy if i can get 15k on these.

I hope i helped contribute to evom, i've recieved so much help here the past year.

cheers!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good work, you get an e-*******. From a hot e-female.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
Account Disabled

nice...
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Great thanks !! I was just about to order some falkens tomorrow. now i will def look into the Kumho.. you are right it rains like hell in FLA. specially in the summer ..
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice write up on tires cuz, I thinking you are putting down about 420-430whp though.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVOlution561
Nice write up on tires cuz, I thinking you are putting down about 420-430whp though.
maaaaybe! we'll see what i trap next time we go =-p

i can definetly say 400 right now!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

the Kumho ECSTA MX is a great tire, I participated in a kumho ride an drive a 2 years back in my audi, and we tested 5 competitors tires including them time after time after time on a precisley timed autoX course. Using BMW Z4 and porsche Boxters (both brand new) with all kinds of drivers..

Here is a pic of my car with the MX's in action (during drive your own vehicle time) (and i know i shouldve had a helmet on lol)

It was a sig someone made for me when i was part of AudiWorld.com

[IMG][/IMG]

Over all i would purchase those wheels again over the falks. much better quality even though my wear was not very good.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, how much are these compared to the Falkens?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
BTW, how much are these compared to the Falkens?
im pretty sure they both cost 131

from tirerack and edgeracing...
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
the Kumho ECSTA MX is a great tire, I participated in a kumho ride an drive a 2 years back in my audi, and we tested 5 competitors tires including them time after time after time on a precisley timed autoX course. Using BMW Z4 and porsche Boxters (both brand new) with all kinds of drivers..

Here is a pic of my car with the MX's in action (during drive your own vehicle time) (and i know i shouldve had a helmet on lol)

It was a sig someone made for me when i was part of AudiWorld.com

[IMG][/IMG]

Over all i would purchase those wheels again over the falks. much better quality even though my wear was not very good.

on audi world i was "slow sport sedan" i havent been on there since jan 06.... awesome guys over there
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Edgeracing doesnt seem to have them on their site..
anyway i went to tirerack and looksed at some pics, I dont like the design they have on the sidewall... it is really noticeable?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
on audi world i was "slow sport sedan" i havent been on there since jan 06.... awesome guys over there
100% agree. I time and time go visit, but the sad thing is that they dont embrace the "evo" community very well lol

Ps. thats about the same time i joined.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Edgeracing doesnt seem to have them on their site..
anyway i went to tirerack and looksed at some pics, I dont like the design they have on the sidewall... it is really noticeable?
naa cant see it unless ur a foot away...

edgeracing sells the falkens, tirerack sells the kumhos
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

I was just lookin at BFG G-force sport right now... what do you think of those?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor

I was just lookin at BFG G-force sport right now... what do you think of those?

step down... i would go with kdw2, but those are known to be much worse than the falkens in the wet

cheers!

Quick Reply: Falken RT-615 vs Kumho MX Results!