Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Scratch the 17 x 8.5 SSR's off your list...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch the 17 x 8.5 SSR's off your list...

A local shop ordered the 17 x 8.5 SSR comps from Tirerack for my car. I had to send back the 17x8.5's because they did not fit without spacers in the front. The tirerack says that this wheel fits--and then sends spacers with the wheels. The wheels touched the calipers without the spacers. I don't know why the Tirerack says they fit. I emailed them and didn't get a response. I lost much respect for the Tirerack.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Whew... those were on my list for autocross rims, before I decided on the Enkei RPM2s. Sorry they didn't work, but appreciate the warning.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

I believe they were a 42 offset, but I'm not sure. The tirerack knew they were for the Evo though.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

i'd be pissed...!

no wonder, that's the wrong offset... don't they have a 32mm offset in that rim...?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, they claim that the 42mm offset works, and I got into it with one of the salespersons over there. I pointed out that the SSR japan site says exactly which size would fit, and that someone already had tried the 38mm offset wheels which didn't fit either. All he could say was that someone working there has one and it fits PERFECTLY.

They really don't know that much. Sorry you had to go thru this crap. I would return the wheels and have them EAT all the costs. Serves them right. And tell them that I already wrote in and warned them about this.

Do a search, some other vendor mentioned that they could get the correct size for the SSR's.

Make sure they pay for all the shipping. They do have a fitment guarantee and make sure to point that out if they complain.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn, i bet i just put a down payment on those rims i bet. I believe it was ILP performance or soemthing... was that the shop? They said they put a set on a customers car and the customer didnt like them. Never said anything about them not fitting. He said me $100 depost was non refundable too...
Old Jun 2, 2003, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

yeah it's ILP... they had a set of 17's... i'm glad i held off on those...
Old Jun 2, 2003, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

but, hey if they don't fit without spacers, you can get your money back, just call the local BBB...
Old Jun 2, 2003, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The SSR Type-C fitting on the EVO has a +32MM offsets for 18 x 8.5.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the required offset size?

Man ILP better not charge me $100 for the down deposit. The guy never told me anything about the spacers... ****
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

that sucks boosted they should work with you and make you happy. its their fault for not finding this out and informing you. you are not responsible whatsoever man and dont let them say your $100 is gone. of course, if they are at all good with customer satisfaction, they will know that they have to do the right thing no matter how it affects them. i would . that offset is way to much for the evo. i know some volks i sell in that size are +30mm offset. thats a far cry from +42mm . retailers should know this before they sell things. sometimes it takes me up to a few days to get answers on whells and thats because i refuse to just accept money before knowing if it's a perfect fit directly from the manufacturer. just call ILP and say that you want to apply that deposit toward another set of wheels because you know that the ones you purchased wont fit right. i feel that they will help you as you are their customer and one piece of a big puzzle that forms their success. hey i just thought that up ! thats a good analogy
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

If you put the $100 deposit on a credit card, you're covered. You didn't receive anything (assuming you cancel the order), so just dispute the charge with your card company. They'll take the money back, refund your card, and slap a $15-$35 chargeback fee against the merchant.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:52 AM

the deposit can be applied to another purchase, no problem. however the wheels do fit fine with the hardware provided as per the wheel manufacturer. (and this was verified) the reason we have non refundable deposits are due to chooches who order stuff and back out. (which is 20% of the orders that come in) for items ordered specifically as per customers request we have a 15% restocking fee across the board. no if's ands or buts nobody gets special treatment.

Jeff
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

see told ya they would work with you !

Quick Reply: Scratch the 17 x 8.5 SSR's off your list...