Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Camber plate and aligment question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The camber bolts only have two positions, in or out. If it fits in one way, it will fit in the other way.

It's a lot easier to understand once you get the front wheels off and take a look at it.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Show us the print out they gave you.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Show us the print out they gave you.
he didn't he just told me i was like -2.X on that particular side
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Don't go back there unless they know what they are doing. I suggest finding a better shop. Unless this guy fixes it for free I don't see a reason to go there.

Him not giving u a print out is already a wrong in my book. Thats like going to get regular work done on your car. You need to know what they did and why something was fixed or refilled.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Print outs aren't always correct. Unfortunately more often than not (from my own personal experiences and those of friends) alignment racks aren't all that accurate. As we are slowly finding out sometimes it is just easier to do it yourself.

Now we do them ourselves and don't bother paying someone.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Depends on where you're at. I've got a great local shop that bought all of the calibration equipment for thier rack.

I think the larger problems are racks out of cal and a staff that just doesn't care.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

well rob fuller is coming down to jersey this weekend. so i hope to learn a thing or 2 from him.

i would really like to do my own. makes me feel like i accomplished something lol
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

get numbers

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
he didn't he just told me i was like -2.X on that particular side
Get a print out from the alignment machine. Tell them you want at least toe, camber & caster for front & back.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
Camber plates are not a left or right side part, not the set you have at least. In my experience it is normal to have the camber plates at different positions to achieve the same camber side to side. This has been true for STi's and evo's I've worked on with several different coilovers.
+1 ...
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

thank you guys !
Old Mar 24, 2007, 02:18 AM

if you are really that concerned i would put the stock suspension back on and measure the camber once again. i went through these exact same scenarios.. flipping bolts checking specs at two different shops after already paying to have it corner weighed and aligned.

my stock suspension was almost a full degree off on the drivers front and this was at 1500 miles on my car and last i checked i never hit anything to knock it out that much.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

I checked under my car today

Well this is what i found....
makes no sense, but one thing I noticed is that the struct is very close to the tire/wheel on the driver's side.....

Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Driver's Side - notice shock and tire clearance

Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Weird. Take the camber bolts out and check to make sure they match and are in decent condition. Some camber bolts are designed to be rotated to adjust the camber; ours aren't, they're just two position. However, the guy doing your alignment may not have noticed this and tried to turn the bolts. It's an unlikely possibility, but give it a shot.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Czubaka
Weird. Take the camber bolts out and check to make sure they match and are in decent condition. Some camber bolts are designed to be rotated to adjust the camber; ours aren't, they're just two position. However, the guy doing your alignment may not have noticed this and tried to turn the bolts. It's an unlikely possibility, but give it a shot.
when you can two possitions you mean they either give you -1 or -2 ? pointing in our out like in the service manual? if that is the case then I guess my cambers plates will always look offset like that. what concerns me now is how close the tire is to the shock perches..

I think i may switch the bolt to -1 (pointing toward the inside of the car) so that way it can buy myself a little more clearance between the tire and shock perches and use the camber plates to adjust my camber which will bring them in more towards the car (opposite to what they are now) - what do you think?

Last edited by Profoxcg; Mar 25, 2007 at 08:12 PM.