Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Camber plate and aligment question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Camber plate and aligment question

so I went for an aligment saturday morning and prior to it i was told i was running something -2.5 on one side and -3 or the other (camber in the front)

Well the person working on my car recomender -1.25 all round. that sounded pretty good. so when I got the car home I decided to look at the camber plater and i noticed the following on the drivers side, compare to the second picture which is the passengers side.

My question is, does that look right to your guys? is it normal for both sides to not be equal?

notice how the measuring groves on the drivers side are towars the back... did I install the shocks backwards maybe? - does it matter at this point?

Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

well I didnt install them backwards, but I am thinking maybe i got two "passenger" side camber plates in my kit?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:28 PM

Well you can change camber lower down where the shock bolts up to the hub. If that was off before it was only corrected with your camber plates.

Just my late night thought.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else please?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
anyone else please?
I would bring it back to him and have it corrected..although your car is alligned already...what really matters is your satisfaction. you paid the Guy believing he would give you 100%. Bring it back.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Camber plates are not a left or right side part, not the set you have at least. In my experience it is normal to have the camber plates at different positions to achieve the same camber side to side. This has been true for STi's and evo's I've worked on with several different coilovers.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Did they do your alignment by adjusting your camber plates?
There are no "passenger side" specific camber plates......
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

agreed, the camber plates are not made for left/right, the same camber plate will be used for both sides. It's stamped once in relation to the bolt holes, so that the camber markings will be in front of the coilover on one side, and behind the coilover on the other side just like yours look like.

Read this thread about the mounting bolts to better understand what might be wrong, you could have had a bad install on the coilovers.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=front+camber
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Camber plates are not a left or right side part, not the set you have at least. In my experience it is normal to have the camber plates at different positions to achieve the same camber side to side. This has been true for STi's and evo's I've worked on with several different coilovers.
If the car is aligned properly, why would you need to set the camber plates differently?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by distant_02
If the car is aligned properly, why would you need to set the camber plates differently?
The camber plates are used to align the car. The way an alignment in the front happens is this:

1) Set camber using lower bolts and/or camber plates. I typically set the lower bolt to max negative when installing the coilovers and then make the final adjustment at the camber plate.
2) Set toe at the tie rods.

If you have ever really looked at a car there are lots of places where there is slop in parts and tolerances aren't held all that tight, so you have a variance side to side. Ride height can vary, in what position the parts are torqued on assembly can vary, if air pressures (tires) are not checked and set to match each other there is another variable.

This mismatch "could" be due to one camber bolt in one position and the other in a different position, but I have seen the same mismatch on my own car with that bolt installed in the same position each side.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

This mismatch "could" be due to one camber bolt in one position and the other in a different position, but I have seen the same mismatch on my own car with that bolt installed in the same position each side.
So in reality, just the fact that the drivers strut is offset like that doesnt mean that I have a bad alignment.

It is right, it just look funny because the camber bolts are just set different?

And I am glad that my camber plates are right (phew) !
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, pull your front wheels off and check the camber bolts. It sounds like they're definitely switched. The alignment guy just took the easy way out and didn't mess with the bolts, just used the camber plates.

I'd take it back, have him put the bolts in properly (max negative camber on both), then you can set whatever camber you want with the plates. Less for the street, more for autox and track days.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

I could've sworn that the camber bolts only fit in one way on the buddy clubs... but obviously not.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

I have a set of HotBits Race coilovers on my galant and I have the same "problem"
Alignment is dead on with 0* Toe and -1* of camber however the top of camber plates are not in the same spot. the passenger side is almost maxed out and the driver's side is about half way. the car handles great going left and right and i've autoxed with it like that last year without any problems.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

well i think I need to take my car back because it pulls to the left (the side where the plate is weird) There has to be something wrong. Tonight i'm going to check the camber bolts.