Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I can't narrow down my vibration at all, please help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't narrow down my vibration at all, please help!

About 2 months ago I took my winter rims off my car and put my summer rims on. I damaged 2 rims hitting a curb in the snow and even with alignment my steering wheel would have a very slight wobble at high speeds. I took these rims off to get them replaced and in the meantime I put my summer rims back on which are stock evo 9 rims with advans. I had the car realigned with the summer rims and everything was perfect, no wobbling or vibration and at high speeds the steering was extremely smooth. I was driving with my summer rims fot about 3 weeks in heavy snow and ice and took them off once I got my winter rims fixed. The rims were covered in salt and debris when I took them off but I could not clean them because there were below freezing temperatures outside. When I put my winter rims back on the steering wheel wobble came back. The wobble is not major but noticeable and anoying. I wasn't too worried because they are my winter rims and I figured discount tire did not balance them properly or there was a broken belt in on the the tires because of the damage previously. The tires were not replaced just the rims. These rims were on the car for about a month and a half when I decided to put the summer rims back on once again because the temperature started getting much better outside. Now I don't know if it me or what but now my summer rims don't have a wobble but more of a vibration with a very very slight wobble at times. I know the advans are more harsh than my icebears on my winter rims but I feel the road much more now and there is a slight vibration at speeds of 60 mph and above. I have always knownt hsi rims and tires to be much more smooth at high speeds. I didn't clean the rims off when I threw them back on the car so I brought it to a shop a week later to get them rotated and cleaned up nicely. They did a great job on cleaning them inside and out. When they put them back on the wobble was still there. I have no idea because these rims are factory balanced and were fine just 2 months ago. Here's my thoughts....

1.) I might not have put the rims back on the same way they came off, stupid me did not mark them. One side of the car might be fine while the other side is switched. Meaning that one tire that used to be in the front is now in the rear. Meaning an uneven rotation. I'm almost positive I did this because my tires pressures didn't match when I recalibrated them.

2.) I might have over tightened the lug nuts by hand because I couldn't get them off for the life of me when I tried to rotate my tires a week later, hence why I brought it to a shop to have them cleaned up. I think the salt on the lugnuts and rims had alot to do with this.

3.) Would a factory balance need rebalancing? What would throw it off in less than 2 months?

4.) I've had 2 alignments done in the past 90 days. Could it be off again and if so what would throw it off so badly??

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind there is not vibration when braking so rotors are out. My brakes are perfect.

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Mar 19, 2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

anyone?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

your post is hard to read. you are having problems with both your summer and winter wheels and tires? are your summer tires directional (arrow on side of tire that should be pointing towards the front of the car)?when did you last get your summer wheel/tires balanced?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:41 PM

what type of winter setup do you have?tires?wheels?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YELOEVOVIII
what type of winter setup do you have?tires?wheels?

To answer evo150, yes the tires are in the right direction and I'm now having a problems with both sets of tires. My winter tires/ rims were the only set that caused an issue before. After just 2 months of storage my summer tires don't have "wobbling" effect like the winter tires but more of a "vibration". My summer wheels and tires used to be perfectly fine. My summer wheels are factory balanced because they are evo 9 rims with stock advans. My winter tire/wheel combo are my stock evo 8 rims with Hankook Icebears. I'm pretty sure I know why my winter tires have that wobbling effect as I stated before but I cannot figure out wheel my summer tires have a vibration to them when they were just fine 2 months ago.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

sound like you need to rebalance them. try that first. may just be a wheel weight that is missing. simple, yet, sometimes necessary.