Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

people running coilovers camber bolt question for ya!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
people running coilovers camber bolt question for ya!

ok I installed some coilovers on my evo, and I'm having an interesting issue with the camber bolts in the front. I've installed numerous suspensions on a number of different cars and never had this issue. For some reason they keep slipping, which causes the tire to go negative and rub against the coilover spring. its even rubbed the powder coating off where it slips at. The camber bolt hole on the coilover itself, has some play in it. I"m guessing I just really need to gorrila tourque the crap out of this bolt??? I'm afraid when I get out there and race that if this thing moves its gonna shred a tire. I only have about 5-6mm of distance between the tire and coilover spring. stock wheels with a 255/40. I'm wanting to run a 17x9 rim. anyone else had this issue?

here is the bolt

here is the clearence

Last edited by CarFanatic; Mar 20, 2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

what coilovers? The hole in the coilover looks too big for the bolt. The mounting bolt in question looks stock, but your nuts look wrong??? Those nuts look more like your strut tower mounting nuts (where the strut brace sits) instead of your lower strut mounting nuts.

Torque spec on that bolt/nut is 123 ft. lbs., so yes, you need to muscle up and tighten it down.

You should also notice that on the head of the lower strut mounting bolts there is an arrow (two of the four mounting bolts have this arrow, two don't). This is how you adjust front camber on the stock setup between -1/ or -2. Those bolts must be in the proper orientation (both up/down and front/back). There should be some guides welded onto your coilover, that will only allow these bolts to be mounted a particular way if installed correctly.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Mar 20, 2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

those are the correct bolts, and yes the camber bolts are in the correct way. I think its just a combination of the hole being a bit to big, and not putting enough tourque on them.. I wish the hole was the same size as on the stock shock.. but its definatly bigger. I put some heman strenght on it tonight, I think there ok, till I can hit them with my impact.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brandon, this is Al from PIC. Did you get this sorted out? I spoke to Keith @ Pure this afternoon because I heard you were having this issue, but per Keith, it's all taken care of. Let me know.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I'm looking to go with these coilovers as well, but this has me worried. PIC...has this issue been sorted? I don't want to always be worried that the mounting hole is too big and that camber bolt would slip. What's the fix action for this?!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Keith and I Narrowed it down to basically, the hole is bigger like that to give you more options in the way of running more camber. From what it seems I just really needed to torque the crud out of them and that seems to have fixed my issue as of now. So it looks as if I was just a retard and didn't realize they needed to be tighter then what I was used to torquing the stock ones down too. I installed my friend carters on his evo aswell and his are running perfectly! He loves them and has had no problems. If you install them just tighten them down alot!! and Use a nice air impact wrench if you have access to one!

91TB78 - IF you are looking into getting these coilovers just do it. I dont think there is a better coilover for the money, as well as the kind of support and help that comes along with them I give pure tuning and PIC the ! I cant wait to get out and get some racing in on them! I will brag and post my reviews once I get a few races and set up dialed in. I can tell you that the turn in and responsiveness of the car, even without being aligned has improved 110%. Thats comparison to stock mr struts with swift springs.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

The KW V3s I had on my STi were like this too and they were a pain even when tightened down.

Keep us posted on how they fare after some use. I'm interested to see the result.

Also, which rates did you go with?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Why were they a pain??? did they move on you aswell?? You really dont need that extra adjustment, since they come with camber plates, it be nice to have the correct sized hole, and just adjust camber via the plates.

I ordered the TSO editions, go to puretuning.com or picperformance.com for more information I got whatever spring rates they came with.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
Why were they a pain??? did they move on you aswell?? You really dont need that extra adjustment, since they come with camber plates, it be nice to have the correct sized hole, and just adjust camber via the plates.

I ordered the TSO editions, go to puretuning.com or picperformance.com for more information I got whatever spring rates they came with.

I felt they were a pain. Even when I tightened them down and used loctite they slipped. I HATED that and don't want the same issues with these. Like you said, there is not need to have them adjustable at the knuckle if the plates allow sufficient camber range.

Please post if they do slip.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 91TB78
I felt they were a pain. Even when I tightened them down and used loctite they slipped. I HATED that and don't want the same issues with these. Like you said, there is not need to have them adjustable at the knuckle if the plates allow sufficient camber range.

Please post if they do slip.
The camber plate allows good fine-tuning adjustments. It's a nice alternative to adjusting camber at the lower strut mount, when you've got the car on the alignment rack and don't feel like getting to the knuckle to make your adjustments. but they are meant to work in conjunction.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

So, what is the max camber with the bolt adjusted to full neg camber and the plates adjusted to full neg camber? I'd like to get an idea of ranges of camber based on a range of ride heights.

Or, at recommended ride height for your coilovers, what is the range of camber with full knuckle and full plate adjustment?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

i actually ground off the centric part of the bolt as to allow camber adjustment only per the plates on top.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

I"m not sure the range, but when my buddy went to get his aligned he had 4.7 degrees negative camber.. thats alot if you ask me. That was with the factory camber bolt flipped. You can get alot of camber!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
I"m not sure the range, but when my buddy went to get his aligned he had 4.7 degrees negative camber.. thats alot if you ask me. That was with the factory camber bolt flipped. You can get alot of camber!
Wow....too much for sure. I'll probably install these with the either the bolt flipped and plates set to min camber or go min on the knuckle and max on the plates.

I did hear that maxing out the camber at the knuckle adjustment is preferred, but can't attest to why.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

depending on what size tire you run, you have to have the mount pulled all the way out so your tire has clearence. I have 255;s and all the way out I have about 5mm of clearence.