Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Safety concerns related to uneven wear on the tire. Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety concerns related to uneven wear on the tire. Help needed!

Hi, guyz.

I just put on my stock advans back on the car, taking winter tires off. I am also scheduled to go to 'Lime Rock Park' for 2 days, doing HPDE events on next monday. Here is the situation; I had one of my stockers blown on the highway before I put on the winter tires. At that point, I had about 50~60% thread left on the stockers. So, I bought a used advan tire from this place called 'bestusedtires.com'. When I got the tire from them, I didn't bother to do a close examination on it. (I know it was my negligence. ) But it looked fine at a glace. So I just stored it with my remaining tires for the winter.

After I got the stockers back on the car today, I immediately noticed my car has a slight steering vibration. The car also had tendency to roll either left or right abnormally and felt unstable during hard-breaking. So, I went back to NTB and discovered that the used tire that I bought has a noticeable uneven wear toward the inside of tire upon a close inspection. At this point, this tire was on the left front side of the car. The service guy suggested putting this on the left rear instead of the front. So I went back home and did the swap.

After swapping the tires front and back, all the apparent problems mentioned above is gone for the most part. But I am still not sure whether it's safe for me to go to the 2-day track event with the current condition of my car. What do you guys suggest for me to do? Any input will be appreciated greatly.

Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Without seeing your tire it’s had to say but I suggest using four good tires for you track day. If you use them watch very closely, any sings of deterioration or cords start showing I would stop using them.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:20 PM

If you can take a pic and then post it, it would be easier to say. Without seeing, I agree that you should try to find another tire or check the one you have often.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 09:33 PM

get the same tires and tread depth on all four corners.if the tread does not match the stock tires your going to mess up your diff.(awd)
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Ok. Looks like I will be going to the event. I will be careful and keep my eyes on the tires at the track.

I do have another question though. If track has only the right-hander turns going clockwise, which side of rear should I put a better (evenly-worn) tire? I am thinking that I should put the better on the left side, but not so sure about it. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by ROK EVO; Apr 1, 2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: x
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YELOEVOVIII
get the same tires and tread depth on all four corners.if the tread does not match the stock tires your going to mess up your diff.(awd)
That's why i got a used tire w/ similar thread (%) left. Thanks for the advice, though.