Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Carbotech Bobcat Pads

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbotech Bobcat Pads

from their website :

"Carbotech Bobcat (1521) :
For 2003, Carbotech introduces Bobcat (1521), the much anticipated replacement for our heralded Super Street F. Like our Panther line of compounds, Bobcat is a ceramic based friction material offering practically zero rotor damage. Bobcat offers outstanding performance when cold, very low dusting, and low noise with an excellent initial bite. Friction coefficient is .5-.55 over it’s operating range of ambient temp to 900F. Bobcat is suitable for street, SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo applications."

That coef. of friction is quite good... To tell the truth the Hawk's initial bite was a bit lacking, or maybe I was expecting more. ITs difficult to say as the pads were just a bit too small.

$179 front/ $99rear ... I am going to order some as soon as i get payed. Madmatt, check your pms

(yes I still have my evo 6, the chap that was supposed to buy it chickened out at the last minute)

Last edited by jemm; Jun 8, 2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

hmmmm.... Very low dusting. This is a big selling point for me. Compared to the OEM brembo pads, the lack of dusting on the Hawks was amazing!!!!!!!! its been 2 weeks since I got the car back from the garrage and the wheels have only a bit of dust on them (still mostly shiny!) ... This is after 300km of aggressive street driving.

Looking forward to fitting these pads..
Old Jun 8, 2003, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Go over to www.nasioc.com and do a search on "Carbotech" or "Bobcat" for more reviews. The WRX and 350Z enthusiasts here in the US are really the first groups as a whole to give Bobcat a try.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

nice heads up there Claudius.... when I was reading that my brain registered 900*C... lets hope thats a typo. I will continue the research before ordering anything...

Last edited by jemm; Jun 8, 2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Our temperature ratings are in degrees F. Our Bobcat is a STREET pad. In fact a very good street pad. A pad we know our customers inevitably will take to the track, where they do "OK" IMO. I personally did the track testing on them. If it's track/race you're looking for, Panther XP is indeed a better choice.

edit: Our temperature ratings, in general, tend to be, shall we say, conservative

Last edited by Maddmatt; Jun 8, 2003 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Given that Evos have relatively bad brake cooling, I wouldnt go for anything below 1200°F (650°C).
The difference may be in how the different manufacturers aquire that number. There is no standard. Our Bobcat is PLENTY of brake pad for ANY vehicle in a non-competition environment, particularly the well-braked Evo. You gotta remember Claudius, we're in the US, land of horrendously underbraked cars. We've developed materials for these poorly braked cars and when they're applied to a very good system like the Evo, its more than enough.

Imagine going down a twisty mountain road: your brakes would be gone after a few miles...
The sorta-official national gathering of WRXs occured a few weeks ago at a mountain road in extreme western NC. 11 miles, 300+ turns, 3000 ft elevation change. One guy caught the paint on his Bobcat pads on fire. Still stopped his car no problem.

Last edited by Maddmatt; Jun 8, 2003 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Can you be more specific?
Well, you could measure the sustained rotor temperature. You could measure the temperature of the brake pad material. You could measure the instantaneous peak temperature right at the pad/rotor interface (which we've seen to be close to 2000F). We could put the thermocouple in 3 different places and get three very different fade temperatures.

Rotors begin to glow cherry red at a sustained temperture of ~1400F. Our race pads do not fade when run against these glowing red rotors.

Can you explain it, please?
Not sure how I can explain better. During that guy's 11 mile run, the pads got hot enough to catch the red paint on fire, yet the driver reported no braking problems.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

And thus cause a spongy or even useless brake pedal going straight through to the metal which I would call a "brake problem"?
That would indeed be a brake problem. I don't know what fluid he was using.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 08:38 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Maddmatt

The sorta-official national gathering of WRXs occured a few weeks ago at a mountain road in extreme western NC. 11 miles, 300+ turns, 3000 ft elevation change. One guy caught the paint on his Bobcat pads on fire. Still stopped his car no problem.
Deals Gap (a.k.a. The Dragon): What is Deal's Gap? It's the Dragon's lair of 318 turns in 11 miles. It's the curves, twists and turns of his tail, along with a fiery bite if you get too close! It's also one of the best places to test your skills and courage on a motorcycle and meet a lot of people with the same goal -- Slay the Dragon! Nestled in the beautiful foothills of the Smoky Mountains, Deal''s Gap tends to be a very popular spot among motorcycle riders of all sorts. Whether you're in for a nice slow stroll or a hot fast ride, beware! The Dragon sometimes wins!

We don't need no stinkin' motorcycles! Can't wait to do it in the EVO.

http://www.dealsgap.com/photos.php

Last edited by jfh; Jun 9, 2003 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Carbotech Bobcat Pads