Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

alignment problem... again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alignment problem... again

okay, first of all I did some reserach, and realized that our cars might have bad factory alignment settings, and the inside of our stock advans will be toasted pretty quick. It is highly recommended to do an alignment to change the factory settings. (to have longer tire life, but expecting to have a less grip)

So I took my car to pepboys for an allignment, they did some work to the front and said the computer returned "no adjustment" for the rear.

I am under the impression that they just worked on the car according to the factory spec. So if I want a complete "re-align" of my car, what am I supposed to tell them?

My 06 MR only has about 10k on it right now and it is still good for the adjustment warranty.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Taking your car to Pep Boys isn't the best idea for a good alignment. Maybe there is someplace that knows how to align the Evo. Call up some shops like Dyno4mance or Topspeed and see who they recommend.

Pep Boys is great if you're looking for some fake chrome plastic spinner hubcaps.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bet some people have settings on this board for stock suspension. I agree to your comment about getting the car aligned just after you buy new Evo. For sure I would ask performance shops, where is the best place to go for an aligment. Have spec numbers handy because for sure they will ask you which settings you want to go with. GL

As far settings you did before , Yes every computer is pre-loaded with settings for different cars, who knows maybe they did punch Mitsu-Lancer :-) just stay away from pet boys. Unless you gotta friend there who knows wth he is doing.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 02:48 PM

thanks for the input, ya I realized how stupid I was to go to pepboys for the alignment, now come to think about it, I dont think they know much about aligning evos. on the alignment result paper, it says: "2006 Mitsubishi EVO VIII" as the model of the vechicle.

but since I already paid them, and they offer 6000 miles alignment warranty, is there specific setting I can tell them that will maximize the tire life?

I need to go back to pepboys anyway because my car is having a very bad right pull on the highway AFTER the alignment... damn i so hate this pace now.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

sounds good but my advans only lasted 12,000 miles anyway.im on my 4 set...
Old Apr 9, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

i bought mine used with 30k on it and it pulls to the right at highway speeds and im actually wearing out the outside of my left front tire
Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

zero out the toe in front and back. You can still run some camber, but if you zero out the tow, your tires should last a bit longer.

How much this will effect handling vs. changing how stable the car "feels" is seems to be debatable.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:11 PM

thanks, so zero toe, -1 camber?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

pep boys?.....that's a no no for evo!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Stock Evo alignmnet settings

I found my pic's of stock alignment settings
I believe these are from Mitsubishi, if I can find my DVD of Evo repair manual I will double check'm
Attached Thumbnails alignment problem... again-front-alignmnet.jpg   alignment problem... again-rear-alignment.jpg  

Last edited by MYEVOVIII; Apr 9, 2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

this is a good question, who would you recommend for a reallignment?
Old Apr 10, 2007, 01:24 AM

I had this happen as well. Ended up rotating the tires to get the inside edge switched out, the toe was something like .20, which is way off. Stock toe spec is +/- .08 and Camber is -1.5F/-1.0R. I ended up doing 0.00 toe all around and -1 camber all around for a little longer tread life. If you want better handing, increase the neg. camber, but it will shorten the tread life.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 03:22 PM

I bought a lifetime alignment from Firestone for $150. You can bring your car in every day to have it realigned if you want. They do a great job too. If only I had know about the factory alignment problems... I almost drove from Montana to Texas with tires that were worn to the edge of exploding. Luckily my 6000 mile service came due before I left. The bastards wouldn't replace my tires either. Anyway, my recomendation is that you can't beat $150 for a lifetime's worth of alignments!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:59 PM

set it back to stock
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I keep reading that the factory alignment is bad on the Evo. Why? Because the advans wear out on the inside. Well, I checked the alignment on my Evo as soon as I had it home from the showroom. The alignment was perfect – I know how to do alignment. Twelve thousand miles later with rotations every 3000 miles the advans were starting to feather on on insides. By 15k the noise and harshness was sufficient to cause me to buy new tires.

I'm not claiming the alignment on every new Evo is perfect. However, with a perfect alignment the advans still feather. So blaming the alignment for this is wrong. This is specific to the tire. You want a great handling tire? Along with the good comes the bad. By the way, the other tires I've owned and run on this same alignment do not feather on the inside.

Quick Reply: alignment problem... again