Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

robispec vs Muellerized

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robispec vs Muellerized

hey everyone i want to get some advice from experienced costomers. i was about to pay Robi for a set of coilovers, bump steer correction and trailing arm bushings but after reading a horror story of someone who got their car completely messed up by robi i am having second doubts. i want to get a good coilover that is street drivable (evo is my only car and a daily driver) rust resistant, i live in park city utah where we get a lot of snow, is good for street driving and about 15-20 autox's a year and about 5 track days a year that i dont have to send in to get rebuilt every 6 months. i am leaning toward a set of kw variant 3's from robispec but after reading this horror story i dont know what to do. anyone have anything to say about either guy?? i have about $2500 for my suspension setup.
any help appreciated.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
call john at RRC and talk to him, he made alot of comments on the link provided on my thread and as you will notice he knows his stuff. after all that junk with robi spec i wanted to sell my car. But thanks to john i have been able to enjoy my car! let alone whoop anythings *** up the canyon = )
Old Apr 10, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Robi and John both do great work. You can purchase the KW Varient 3's and have John install them and customize your setup just the same as Robi would... Robi just has more experience with those specific coils and might have a better grasp on valving and springs of those specific coils...

The only difference here, is that Robi has a troll going around since 6 months ago trying to ruin his business. That's it... 1 troll...
Old Apr 10, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I heard good things about the Bilstein PSS9 and the Ohlins Street Spec.

1700 - 2400
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
Robi and John both do great work. You can purchase the KW Varient 3's and have John install them and customize your setup just the same as Robi would... Robi just has more experience with those specific coils and might have a better grasp on valving and springs of those specific coils...

The only difference here, is that Robi has a troll going around since 6 months ago trying to ruin his business. That's it... 1 troll...
is that troll mr. bubbler? i was reading his thread and it gave me serious second doubts about going with robi. robi is just so convieniant for me since he would do everything at a great price but i just dont want to get back a car that i hate...
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

i don't appreciate your comment and to be honest its ****ing childish. If you experienced the same thing i have wouldn't you want to warn everyone else? Its not like im telling you to go to my shop (dont actualy own one) nor am i trying to sell anyone else's products im just SHOWING you what i went through! for the most part i thought people would thank me for showing them this thread but it only takes on douche to mess it up for the rest.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBubbler
i don't appreciate your comment and to be honest its ****ing childish. If you experienced the same thing i have wouldn't you want to warn everyone else? Its not like im telling you to go to my shop (dont actualy own one) nor am i trying to sell anyone else's products im just SHOWING you what i went through! for the most part i thought people would thank me for showing them this thread but it only takes on douche to mess it up for the rest.
i wasnt trying to offend you at all i was just clarifying that you were the only person that was having troubles with robispec and that it wasnt happening to other people. i greatly appreciate your thread as it is the reason i am posting this thread to see if this is happening to other evo owners not just you. i want to have the best for my car just like you and what makes this community work is people like you helping everyone out. sorry if my comment sounded offensive. your post make me pause on getting robi to set up my suspension as i was going to schedule it today.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

I just had my second round of work completed by Robi this past weekend in Chicago (front roll center correction and alignment tweak) and Robi was as meticulous as he was during the orignal install one year ago (KW Clubsports, Rear Sway, rear endlinks, rear bumpsteer and trailing arm bushings, cornerweight, alignment.)

When I was having issues with the original alignment, (slight steering wheel shudder at high speeds, brought to dealer who butchered it) Robi was more than willing to give me his alignment specs and was available to the alignment shop to help if they had any questions when they were working on the car.

I trusted Robi with my money and my car in a situation where I am not the subject matter expert, relying on him to do what was right, and have been thrilled with the way he has transformed the car.

Just one man's opinion
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evobeatsti
i wasnt trying to offend you at all i was just clarifying that you were the only person that was having troubles with robispec and that it wasnt happening to other people. i greatly appreciate your thread as it is the reason i am posting this thread to see if this is happening to other evo owners not just you. i want to have the best for my car just like you and what makes this community work is people like you helping everyone out. sorry if my comment sounded offensive. your post make me pause on getting robi to set up my suspension as i was going to schedule it today.
sorry i didnt mean to aim that at you, but KOevo. Do a search on socal evo or finish reading the post about my car, their is a story of a guy having a rim come off on the freeway after having robi do work on his car. It seems that the out of state people are the only ones getting good work from robi and hell if thats the case they are the lucky ones, but since im local i had to drive to his house over 5 times (over an 1 1/2 hours) to get my car worked on over and over again. BTW that was the second set of camber plates that was put on my car the first set bent also and where replaced without question with thicker ones by robi (second set bend also). Robi furthermore told me it was safe to drive on the camber plates in their bent manner, i feel like it was an act of god that i didnt have the suspension come through the hood, from my understanding aluminum bends then cracks -= X

Last edited by MrBubbler; Apr 10, 2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Robi is the man. If you don't know from experience please don't talk ****. I don't care if one guys car gets messed up after bringing it in after 9 months of use. I hate it when people talk out of their asse's and thats what this thread will turn into. I know it.

You don't even want to hear what I know and I'm not about to go on a post rampage. Every tuner has their own personal set of nut swingers.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

car wasn't drove due to the fact the tires rubbed while making turns...

you speak with no idea of what your talking about, unless you are actually mrbubbler?
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBubbler
car wasn't drove due to the fact the tires rubbed while making turns...

you speak with no idea of what your talking about, unless you are actually mrbubbler?
I have a suggestion. Since everybody's heard your story, why don't you shut up?

The original poster has already read about you, and wants OTHER opinions. thanks!

Me personally? Robi's a good guy, does good work. The best I can describe him is a good ole boy that gets stuff done. He has his tools and knows what works. The method to get there varies between vendors. The most important item in any tuner, is getting a car setup the way YOU want it, and feel comfortable with it. You have to realize, if you're the kinda guy that cleans his wheels daily, you're not gonna like race pads and rubber all over your car. Robi builds some very well handling cars, but they're made to be used, IMHO, not driven to get grocerys with.

If you believe one setting on the dampeners is going to make you happy on the street, and at every track day, you're extremely mistaken. The adjustablity is there to tweak the system. If it's not tweaked, it will be good, but could always be better.

Robi setup my car roughly a year ago with clubsports, and I loved them. I have a new 9, and he's setting that one up also, same things. I give the guy two thumbs up.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

evobeatsti....have you given Robi a call?

If not, I would strongly suggest it. I can apprecaiate your due dilegence by soliciting opinions from the board, but if you're going to hand over $2,500+ to someone, discuss what you hope to accomplish and set expectations up front.

Most of us that have had work done by Robi have had numerous phone calls and e-mails outlining what we hope to accomplish from his work, and Robi spends an inordinate amount of time with you outlining how things will come together.

If you feel uncomfortable just leaving the car, spend the time with Robi during the install; it will certainly put you at ease, and is an excellent opportunity to gain some knowledge, or at least hear some good stories for a few hours!
Old Apr 10, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I would go with Robi, he had answered my e-mail's quickly, on a Sunday even. I only talked to Mueller once, but he came off like a dick. I dont know if he was having a bad day or what, but that really turned me off.

Also, Mueller will not tell you the spring rates that are used for your car, that's something I like to know.

I would imagine you'll be happy either way, but my preferance would be Robispec.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

You cant please everyone. I just met Robert last weekend, great guy and very knowlegable. If something happened on your car, Im 100% sure he would fix it for you at no charge. Roberts best intrest is to make evos spank exotics, and hes done a fair share of R&D.

Mr. Bubbler, no I dont know you, nor do I want to read your post. But your bashing of ones hard earned business and expertise is uncalled for and improper. This has been said many times before, its forum eddicate....If you have a problem with the guy you should take it up with him privately.

Things to consider; what is your automotive experience? What does your driving experience consist of?

Robi has a quality product with quality customer support. You dont need to fret, get the Robi spec set up. Robi has many satisfied and fast customers. One unsatisfied customer vs many happy ones....You cant please everyone.

If I only had a dollar for every part that failed on my race car....

And I bet Robi would put up a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee behind his setup.

Quick Reply: robispec vs Muellerized