Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

PIC/PURE Tuning Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are single adjustable, rebound only correct?

I agree with Warr 100%.

If made in taiwan, then theyre not made in the states just sold in the states. Do you have shim kits available? Replacment parts? Rebuilding service?

PIC probably is a good company, never really heard of them and I am a Honda guy, but I dont own a civic. But PIC is not a shock manufacturer. To design a shock absorber takes a lot of experience and R&D. Unless you inform us which reputable, racing shock company that your shock is from, its another Megan etc type shock.

There is not enough evidence to show the shock is anywhere near a KW or an Ohlins. It would be interesting too see the valve/shim design. And again, it single adjustable. At least some before and after data.

BUT, it does look like a good budget alternative for the mild track day guy.

Its not hard to make an EVO "feel" good. But without times, you have no idea if you were going fast. Especially data with different tires.

Sorry guys, just MHO. Bit provide the data/facts and orgin, the shock maybe better than what it sounds like to me right now.

992gnt,

1:40 @ MO? That was on the pro course right (no chicane b4 carosel leading onto back straight)? Thats pretty good, you must have a lot of power. Ive done 1:35's in the 'Lude on the pro course. A 1:40 is a dam good time! What kind of tires? WHP?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks! I was running Hankook Z214's (245/40-17) and dyno'd two weeks ago at 308 to the wheels (Mustang dyno). And yes, we ran the Pro course. The car is easily capable of sub 1:40 lap times, but I was fighting brake problems all weekend (kept me from the double win!). I'll get there when we go back in July.

I'll let Clift or Al answer the rest of your questions, but I know that anything I might need for my setup is just a phone call away. We have already started talking about the next "evolution" of my setup with regard to valving and spring rates, something you'd be hard pressed to do with the Megans or others. I'm ALL about the support after the sale.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the point I was trying to make. I was not asking (nor questioning) how PIC came up with their ideas. I was just asking who manufactures their shocks.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't look like anybody said that our shocks were supposed to be as good as Ohlins or KW's offerings. In fact, I had stated outright that we are in no position to compete with those companies. It is also sub-$1500, and in that price range we seem to be doing quite well. In the meantime, people are free to make whatever assumptions they'd like about the company and our products, however I'll gladly provide the info on the components we use and where they come from to anyone who asks for it.

Comparisons with other coilovers are inevitable, but in the end all we are doing is talking. I like to get our users on the track and let results speak for themselves, there are no doubting track times. And if a customer is satisfied with how the PIC's perform on their car, then I've done a large part of what I set out to do.

It is a needle valve adjustment with a relatively simple piston. The damping curves are digressive through all 8 levels, and yes it is a single-adjustable in rebound only. They are not intended to be rebuilt by users, aren't marketed that way, and so we don't offer shim kits for rebuilds. In the event that a rebuild is necessary, we exchange new shocks for cores at the moment.

I'm used to answering questions, I get asked all the time to varying degreees, and I do my best to answer them.

Last edited by Noob4life; Apr 24, 2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

If the PIC coilovers are crap, it will come out in owner's opinions and not the opinion of people who don't own them.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Man! I Was just trying to post up some postive info about a really great working coilover set, that wont bust your wallet! There obviously are both ends of the spectrum when it comes to buying any part. These truly are alot of coilover for the money.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

That was the point I was trying to make. There are people with expensive coilovers that feel the need to bash all the cheaper coilovers.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there's a little overreaction here. I don't know if someone else was complaining, but all I was asking is who PIC uses for their shocks. I was genuinely interested, because I hadn't heard of these guys nor seen anyone using their setup and dominating on track or in auto-x. I didn't say anything negative and was just trying to get info. If it's a low cost solution that dominates setups like my Gerrard-spec Ohlins, then I'll know where to send everyone when they are asking about an inexpensive coilover setup. Hell, even if they just dominate everything in their price range, then I'll suggest them. All we have for suggestions right now are something basic like Megans or a package from one of the suspension gurus. If PIC/Pure has a set around $1500 that rocks out, then we will have somewhere to send people who don't want to spend over 2k on their suspension but still want to be fast.

This is a positive thing - I don't understand the backlash, especially from prostcj (not sure where that came from).
Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I think there's a little overreaction here. I don't know if someone else was complaining, but all I was asking is who PIC uses for their shocks. I was genuinely interested, because I hadn't heard of these guys nor seen anyone using their setup and dominating on track or in auto-x. I didn't say anything negative and was just trying to get info. If it's a low cost solution that dominates setups like my Gerrard-spec Ohlins, then I'll know where to send everyone when they are asking about an inexpensive coilover setup. Hell, even if they just dominate everything in their price range, then I'll suggest them. All we have for suggestions right now are something basic like Megans or a package from one of the suspension gurus. If PIC/Pure has a set around $1500 that rocks out, then we will have somewhere to send people who don't want to spend over 2k on their suspension but still want to be fast.

This is a positive thing - I don't understand the backlash, especially from prostcj (not sure where that came from).

Thats a fair comment.
I think the good thing about these coilovers compared to similar looking coilovers is the R&D gone into them between PIC/Pure tuning. These similar looking coilovers have been made to fit an Evo but with no real R&D as far as I can see.

I may have to purchase a set myself.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:24 PM

From a new owner's experience of PIC suspension, I would like to give credit to PIC for the awesome support they provided me and I'm all the way in Arizona! From my old coilover setup to my new PIC Select setup, all I can say is there was great improvement. My old setup (omni-power) was oversprung/too stiff and non adjustable. After getting the car dialed in I was quicker on the track than my friend who was ran a similar pace as me. Prior to the new suspension we would be nose to tail/ side by side. It was fun playing tag. but now I am much faster in the twisties/infield. My car is much more stable and now I can carry more speed in the turns. My buddy can't keep up and. we are similar in times and skill HPDE3/4. In a couple of weeks I will be using my new lap timer and see how much improvement there was. After doing my research for new suspension. I believe it was the best bang for the buck. They also backed themselves up with an impressive results from the Evo Tuner Shootout published in Sport Compact and Modified magazine. I'm very satisfied and I think it is a great product!!!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Sorry about that. I just don't see how it's realistic to compare these to the Ohlins. I think doing so is unfair to PIC. Of course there monotube, don't have shim kits, and don't start with an Ohlins or KW shock that they rebuild. They're $1500.
For as new as these coilovers are, I think there are a lot of results. Pure tuning at the EVO shoot out and I read someone improving there time by about 4 seconds.
It's tough to find objective back to back results. Everyone always changes more than one thing.
For example, you said you picked up 6 seconds with the new Ohlins set up. Now you are probably one of the best sources for information on this entire forum and I try to follow your posts. Having followed your posts, didn't you also go from 245 to 285 size tires? That's about seven inches more contact patch total. I think you also had a more aggressive alignment.
I'm anxious to read more testamonials and hopefully...........results from these. These seem to be a good choice for us in the Midwest on a budget. Time will tell.
Sorry again for over reacting.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I dont think anyone is trying to compare them to ohlins, or penske type shocks. All were trying to say is the amount of R&D and excellent support you get for what you pay is a fantastic deal. Not to mention they work! The ride is good, they improve the cars handaling on track, and it doesn't make you go broke. The fact is if you do have a problem, you can get itcorrected quickly, unlike say some of the jic nitemares I have heard. I posted this post because I believe in what I payed for and what I have gotten, and wanted to pass it on to others, so that they can decide and give them another option to look at. Everyone that I know that is running these coilovers are actually using them in some kind of racing events, so it was not just another my car looks sweet, and they perform great on the street type review.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, me too.

I just wanted more info. I did not mean to offend or suggest they must be junk because thyre $1500.

You guys have to understand. What if I told you I can get this awesome center diff for $200? Or a 61" Plasma TV for $1000. Im just curious and wanted some more info. I love suspension tuning and driving.

Sound like the support is great. The lack of factory support has put an end to some really nice packages.

As for a great budget set-up it sounds great. Warr has always suggested to forum users that the megan set-up is a good budget set-up but will never be a real racing shock. This looks like it may even be better. 85% of evo tuners will never notice or be able to feel the step up to a 2-4 way afdjustable shock anyway.

No hard feelings guys, I was just curious, and love a spirited debate.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Understood. I think we're all on the same page. But my knee-jerk reaction is always to go defensive.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:52 PM

PIC, any plans for you guys to show some love for Nissan guys, specifically, the 240 guys? I like the idea of good after-purchase support and also the ability to adjust only rebound - it seems like the slew of JDM coilovers all adjust compression/rebound at the same time, which seems counter-intuitive according to my (very limited) understanding of suspension theory.

Quick Reply: PIC/PURE Tuning Coilover Review