Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

PIC/PURE Tuning Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the most part, compression changes are negligible. Any changes you see in the compression curve will be mostly a side-effect of the aperture on your rebound side's high-speed bleed valve, and not due to any direct adjustment made to compression iself.

Ours function in much the same way, although we don't market them as compression and rebound adjustable (which some companies do, if they have a REALLY loose interpretation of the term "adjustment"), just rebound adjustable. It is true that the adjustments are not 100% independent of each other, but for all intents and purposes, compression is fixed and rebound changes.

As far as the 240 applications, they have been put on the back burner for a while (along with a few other apps) in favor of projects that might have a more immediate and dependable return on investment. Meaning, the 240sx market doens't seem promising enough to take on at the moment.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the 2006 EVO shootout results. The results speaks for themselves. We had one test day with the PICs at Beaver Run before the Shootout. That speaks a lot about the support from Pure and PIC on coming close to winning the event.

Final Official Results:

Street
1) Mark Daddio AMS 1:47.031
2) Clifton Ching Pure Tuning 1:47.264 P.I.C coilover suspension
3) Cory Friedman GSC 1:47.929
4) Robert Fuller Robispec 1:49.257
5) Marty Grand AMS 1:50.533
6) Kyle Germanton Driven Concepts 1:51.148
7) Dave Ackerson AMS 1:52.177
8) C.J. Moses AMS 1:54.012
Old Apr 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well I need to give credit where credi is due, the best setup in the world might be nothing without a good driver. I remember you called me like Saturday morning, you said "The car is plowing badly. I push through every corner." My heart sank! I'm glad we got the damping sorted and you were able to figure out CMP so quickly.

And what was it, a loose swaybar endlink in the rear too? lol.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:34 PM

That seems fine, I can deal with a little bit of cross talk, though I've seen a few dynos of shocks that seemed to have too much compression change (not yours, just to clarify). It makes me sad that the 240 app has been put on the back burner though, we need more knowledgeable companies that provide comprehensive after-purchase service, especially when it comes to coilovers.

Originally Posted by Noob4life
For the most part, compression changes are negligible. Any changes you see in the compression curve will be mostly a side-effect of the aperture on your rebound side's high-speed bleed valve, and not due to any direct adjustment made to compression iself.

Ours function in much the same way, although we don't market them as compression and rebound adjustable (which some companies do, if they have a REALLY loose interpretation of the term "adjustment"), just rebound adjustable. It is true that the adjustments are not 100% independent of each other, but for all intents and purposes, compression is fixed and rebound changes.

As far as the 240 applications, they have been put on the back burner for a while (along with a few other apps) in favor of projects that might have a more immediate and dependable return on investment. Meaning, the 240sx market doens't seem promising enough to take on at the moment.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I hear you, if I had the resources I could knock out applications a little quicker. But the way we do it, it's taking 1+ year to get one ready for production. To give you an example, we've been working on the S2000 Selects for going on 7 months now, and we're only going to get our first REAL track test in May at CMP. Even if all goes well, the earliest they'd be released is like July or August. The biggest obstacles are finding cars to measure and drivers who really track their cars.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

So are the TSO version coilovers very stiff like most jdm coilovers. Where if ya hit bumps ya skip along the top not in control instead of absorbing the bumps.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be where the custom valving comes into play as well as the spring rates. It's hard to get that perfect without custom valving.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Noob4life
I hear you, if I had the resources I could knock out applications a little quicker. But the way we do it, it's taking 1+ year to get one ready for production. To give you an example, we've been working on the S2000 Selects for going on 7 months now, and we're only going to get our first REAL track test in May at CMP. Even if all goes well, the earliest they'd be released is like July or August. The biggest obstacles are finding cars to measure and drivers who really track their cars.
Why do you guys test at CMP if you're in Il? Seems like a far drive, heh. Anyway, good luck.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well given our limited resources, we work with drivers around the country to develop new applications. It happens that the guy testing our S2000 coilovers has his car at Hondawerks in Charlotte and will be running CMP in May, just in time. The more track time, the better.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by funnyclub
So are the TSO version coilovers very stiff like most jdm coilovers. Where if ya hit bumps ya skip along the top not in control instead of absorbing the bumps.
I haven't noticed this, I run mine on full soft on the street. The only difference I notice over stock, is being higher spring rates it bounces more on uneven roads, and rebounds alot quicker obviously when you hit a dip in the road or something. Car still easy goes over cracks and stuff with out control issues.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:34 AM
Former Vendor

I was going to post yesterday, but couldn't find the time to sit down and type something out. I come back today and find things got a little silly.

I'm very happy to see all three Evo's running our setup had such a great time at Mid-Ohio. Between some well handled fun runs to winning a class, we couldn't ask for anything more. The coilovers do exactly what they were designed to do and that is to offer a great quality coilover at a good price; A set that can be used on the street or the race track; Give the driver a good level of confidence regardless of experience or tire choice; To do what the driver asks of the car with good feedback.

These coilovers are just the first level of a few more to come. We will begin development with PIC to release higher level models for competition use to compete with other suspension companies. We will also develop and focus on autox this year.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:34 PM
Account Disabled

wow this setup sounds great... how does this setup hold up to everyday driving? is the ride quality significantly harsher than stock or more comparable???
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

on full soft the car is fine daily driving. It is stiffer then stock, but very tolerable on full soft!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
on full soft the car is fine daily driving. It is stiffer then stock, but very tolerable on full soft!
On full soft?! I can tell you my suspension was very bouncy on full soft. The mid settings are much better but no one should fool themselves..... this is a track set up.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Subscribing

Quick Reply: PIC/PURE Tuning Coilover Review