Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

PIC/PURE Tuning Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in giving them a try also. My question is can I choose my own spring rate or are they valved for a specific in house spring rate?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

The TSO's are fixed spring rates and valving. You can get the Selects built to your own specs however.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Did John Mueller give you an opinion on these?

He gave his opinion on the PIC R1's to me and my dad. We went to RRC to get an alignment and got an ear full from Mueller. He basically said they were crap and went on about his product and why it was so much better. All of this unsolicited mind you.

Both my dad and myself were looking for some coilovers and I read up on the PIC's. They sounded good so we ordered up a set. My dads car was the first to get the coilovers. We have a service lift and did the work ourselves. Alignment time comes around and who do I think of? Mueller. Well that was more of a headache than it was worth. He went on the up sell of his stage one package saying that you don't need to go coilovers unless you go stage 1 first.

So some urethane bushings, rear sway and alignment later we left RRC. Bitter taste in our mouths to boot. Needless to say I didn't get my alignment there. I got the R1's for my car with no sway or bushings. So far my auto-x times have been better than my dads. (cars have identical mods) Come to think of it, I haven't even got an alignment yet, lol. Go figure.

I love the R1's, little stiffer than stock but so much nicer overall, and my car is a DD. Car rotates beautifully and soaks up the bumps quite nicely.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Any chance of a special price to build a TSO I into a TSO II? I guess this is a bit of a premature question since they are not out yet.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it's too far out for that. When the time comes, pricing and deals will be set by Pure Tuning, as the TSO's (which will continue to be offered) and future iterations are only sold through them.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:56 AM
Evolving Member

The reason I went with the PIC coil overs....

After reading up on the positive reviews and also the after sale support.

I'm not sure what the support will be with RRC/Mueller and JICs?
Personally I feel that the PIC support will be great and if I have any questions about setup or rebuilds, they will be top notch.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:31 AM

How quick are they are turn around if you need a replacement shock? Just wondering if you have to send it off or if you can just buy a replacement outright?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

You would get a replacement shock, not a rebuild. Downtime is minimal this way, but varies depending on where you're located and what you need.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PM'd you about more info. For anyone else I currently ride on Bilstein MR's and Swift springs. I daily drive alot but on the weekends want to hit the track and be competitive. Can the the preset TSO's be almost as comfortable as my current Swifts (I travel alot and my family frequently rides with me...I actually use the 4 doors ). Also are any whiteline extended ball joints needed for these since they lower the car. I am trying to gain all the knowledge I can because they are right in my price range (I just cant convince myself to shell out $2700 for Ohlins)
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Can the the preset TSO's be almost as comfortable as my current Swifts (I travel alot and my family frequently rides with me...I actually use the 4 doors ).
Short answer: it depends.

I got your PM, I'll get back to you in detail later on this afternoon.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Noob4life: Would you mind posting the shock dynos on the PICs with the stiffest and softest setting (overlayed) ? Front and Rear ...
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Noob4life: Would you mind posting the shock dynos on the PICs with the stiffest and softest setting (overlayed) ? Front and Rear ...
These are the Select P1's (not currently offered though):

All 8 adjustments listed. Other rates will appear more or less similar, with the exception of higher damping forces of course.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Seems to be very little cross talk between the settings. After performing tests, how consistent have these shocks proven to be? Even between to seperate random samples?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Seems to be very little cross talk between the settings. After performing tests, how consistent have these shocks proven to be? Even between to seperate random samples?
Variations are kept to a minimum through strict tolerances but will still theoretically. The nitrogen charge is manually done, so there will be some difference from shock to shock, but for the purposes of what we're talking about, it is negligible.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Any idea of the total weight savings on the Pure tuning/PIC TSO version coilovers vs the stock setup?

I could probably weigh everything in the coming months after I get my stuff installed, but I'm curious now!

Quick Reply: PIC/PURE Tuning Coilover Review