Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Yoko ES-100s are damn good tires...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, but they are a good compromise as opposed to buying new tires every 5K miles (thats how long it took me to wear out the A046s). They are good highway/daily driving tires, which handle better than comparably priced ones like the Kumho Ecstas. Plus they work a heck of a lot better in the afternoon monsoon thunderstorms down here than the A046s... in which I could drive circles around a stock tired Evo. Its all about finding the best choices for your situation...

And not lumping every single S2000 owner into my earlier description, as I have met two (heh, only two so far) guys at my last autocross who were good guys overall. All the other 30 or so I have run into face to face have been idiots. Then again, I haven't met any other Evo guys yet, maybe we are ***** as well... idunno.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

It does seem like the "average" S2000 guy is about 45 years old, living out his midlife crisis (assuming he is going to make it to 90 yrs old), and not really even a "carguy". (my neighbor Lance has one...mid 40's...drives it like a little girl)

There are lots of decent guys who are down to earth, mostly late 20's, mid 30's who like to drive the car like retards, modify them, etc.....

I guess with lots of rain, etc.... a tire change is for the best. I was just extremly pissed with the cheaper harder bridgestones I had on my S2000.... I ended up just doing burnouts to get ride of the back one's and still have the fronts in my basement.

I have 3k miles on my car but am doing a NASA time trial next weekend, so that will get me closer to a new set.

Scot
Old Jun 26, 2003, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

What do you guys think about the Kumho MXs? I have heard and read nothing but good about those tires and it seems that they are pretty good in the rain too. I understand you guys are considering tires not only for their grip but their wet weather traction too so this tire seems to be comparable. The price is right around the $120 mark and it has a wear rating of 220(?).

Also, I would like to know what you guys thought about the Falken Azenis.

Would you guys mount these tires on your cars? Why or why not?

Last edited by ESCALVANTE; Jun 26, 2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Azenis I have used on my Miata, damn good tires. I tended to run about 1 second off my race tire times at autoX with the Azenis. They also handle water fairly well, but never tried them on the interstate during the rain, so can only vouch for lower speed wet handling.

The MXs are supposed to be comparable to the Azenis, and a lot of people swear by them.

Scot, let me know how the NASA event goes, I am in process of getting my membership with them for their September HPDE course down at Moroso.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the review 2cool. I trust your opinion, this tire is on the list next to the toyo proxes ts-1
Old Aug 16, 2003, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Gee, I hope I wasn't such a dick when I had my S2000. Nothing like a good stereotype. Imagine if I had bought a Corvette instead...

Back on topic, I am still investigating good replacement rubber. I might just go with some Michelin Pilot Sport Cup in the summer and some P-Zero Neros in the winter. We'll see...
Old Aug 16, 2003, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

pilot sport cups are my choice at the track for sure. I like the fact that they don't get greasy at the end of each session like the stock yokos do. Of course for me they are a track only tire. I had the bfg kd's on my volks and one of them delaminated at the track, the other three were fine. As far as grip goes, the bfg were insane, but yes they are extremely heavy and expensive as hell. I talked to bfg and they are willing to replace the tire, but I will probably go with the kumho's for the street and leave the really sticky stuff for the track.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mrdecibel
Good info 2Cool. Just ordered mine and am awaiting them to arrive next week. Glad I made a good decision.

How are they? Cost is an issue for me at the moment. These tires seem to be great bang for the buck!
Old Aug 16, 2003, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Rich - still here?? LOL - anyway, I think I might put Hoosier slicks on my stock wheels for the track and run the pilots in the summer on my BBS wheels. Drive a beater through the winter...
Old Aug 17, 2003, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Chris-I don't think my wallet is quite ready for slicks at this point. Slicks just don't seem to last as long, and I've heard nothing but great things about the sport cups, especially the longevity and tendency, like I said earlier, to resist heating up towards the end of a cycle. 2Cool-you mentioned that you run victoracers. I have heard great things about the MX's for the street, obviously the price is attractive, I'm planning on replacing the BFG's soon, I would rather buy 4 new tires than have 2 new left-siders and 2 right-siders that have been through 4 cycles. How have the victoracers faired for you? Do you mainly autocross, road course, or both? The stock 046's are nice early, but you deffinatley have to get your best times in the beginning of a session because they heat up and get slippery VERY fast. I usually get faster later in sessions, and find that I have to hustle the car too much in the later laps of a session on the 046's, but they are still VERY predictable. Are the victoracers predictable at the limit when they are hot? I'm not a fan of having a tire that tends to snap quickly at the limit right at the point when I'm pushing the hardest, especially in my daily driver hehe.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

So far I am still happy with the ES-100s for daily use, though they do tend to step out a bit on hard cornering and squeal like pot-belly pigs under moderate abuse. But I can drive like its a sunny day in the midst of a pouring rain storm, blowing by every other car on the road with no worries at all. Works for me.

As for race rubber, likely I will try some Hoosiers once the Victoracers are corded. From the looks of them though they will last beyond the end of this season with no problems, and I am still whooping on the ESP Mustangs.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Which BBS wheels do you have for the Evo? I have not seen any on Evo's yet.

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Rich - still here?? LOL - anyway, I think I might put Hoosier slicks on my stock wheels for the track and run the pilots in the summer on my BBS wheels. Drive a beater through the winter...
Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, the grand dilemma. I can get BBS RGRs in diamond black finish, size 18x8 (or 18x8.5). But what I REALLY want are the BBS CH in plasma finish. I am looking into a place in the UK that has a CH fitment. Of course if that guy with the Skyline finds out those wheels fit the Evo, my decision is made.

If none of the above work, I am going to get 18" Work Meister S2Rs...
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

FYI The Nero's are horrible. Silver Surfer just put some on and I'll let him fill you in on just how basd they are.

I've been amazed at what the ES100s offer. They have a great wear rating, which in the 80s often was a direct correlation to the grip they provided, but no longer. THey're not a competition tire, which the stock tires are just about that, so you lose a bit of response and grip, but for the price and the wear rating you can't go wrong.

I as very excited and surprised to find just how similar the ES100 is to the AVS Sports for a lot less moolah.

Is any one looking to go with a much lower sidewall to improve response through squirm reduction, improved gearing, and lower the cg..

Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We did some tire testing on the ES100 a bit ago and I was equally surprised with its performance. We compared them with the Sumitomo HTRZ II and the Kumho Ecsta 712. We found that for the type of tire it is, it rode nicely on the country roads and highways. On the track, in both the dry and in the wet, the ES100 generated good traction and cornering power while providing handling and responsiveness that was the best of the three tires in the test.
I would have to say its really is the best bang for the buck within its class.

ES100 Survey Results

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Aug 19, 2003 at 07:01 AM.