Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Yoko ES-100s are damn good tires...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by pearlwhiteoz
how does the ES100 compaer to the Parada Spec2?
i put a set of paradas on my car about an hour after i bought it. they are great in any weather arizona (no snow) can dish out. they do have a stiff ride compared to other tires i have had. and almost everyone that auto x's hates these tires. and i forgot to mention they are f**king loud at freeway speeds. overall im pleased with them but if i had to do it again i would get a set of falkens
Old Aug 23, 2003, 07:11 AM

From what I heard, the ADVANS were made by Yokohama especially FOR the Evo 7/8, and the Yokohama ADVANS tire series are some of the best performance tires made, for or not for the Evo.

For some reason, I'm having a hard time finding aftermarket ADVANS for sale at auto retail stores, and only a few online. However, I read my Yokohama warranty brochure the other day and read what is replaced under warranty. I don't have the brochure in hand, but it stated that Yokohama will replace them even if used in racing or "special" applications or something like that. Also, I got that Mitsubishi tire warranty thing too. I haven't replaced my tires... yet... but I will need to soon from all the abuse I've been putting it through .

Since there was a hype about the Yokohama ES100s, I'll tell you my personal experience with them. They are good, decent tires... your "bang for the buck" tires, but the grip capabilities are less then the stock ADVANS. I had them ordered to my garage and I put them on my Evo to test them out along with a few other tires in a large parking lot and the ES100s slip much easier then the ADVANS. So for the price, the ES100s are decent, but if you can, stick with the stock ADVANS the Evo comes with at your local Mitsubishi dealer, especially if it's covered under your warranty.

The only other tire that is comparable to the ADVANS are the Bridgestone S03s that I've tried out. Grip level is about the same as the ADVANS, and they have very good wet traction. Only con thing I have about these tires is that they have a softer sidewall then the ADVANS, so this may affect handling a little bit (but not much from my experience tho' ). However, there is a slight dispute about softer sidewalls, that if the tread area of the tire is rounder, not flat, it provides much better traction. Let me know what you think.

BTW, although some of you might know already, Tirerack do sell the Yokohama A046. Here is the link Yokohama ADVANS A046. Hope this helps .

Last edited by EvoCorp; Aug 25, 2003 at 05:01 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ES100 tread pattern looks just like the JDM Yokohama Grand Prix DNA tires I have. They have worn well and sick better than previous tires I've had. Only bad thing is they get noisy as they wear.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

I had a set of these on my IS300 with enkei RPM2s in 18x8.5 they were great tires very good traction wet and dry great wear and minimal road noise which is a plus...I'm a big yokohama fan anymore.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:48 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I had Azenis on my WRX prior to these OEM tires on my Evo. From what I keep hearing about the ES100s, I believe they will be more compliant in the light snow we get here in the winter.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Noize
I had Azenis on my WRX prior to these OEM tires on my Evo. From what I keep hearing about the ES100s, I believe they will be more compliant in the light snow we get here in the winter.
I would highly recommend against using the ES100 or any other performance summer based tire in the winter months. If the temp drops below 40 degrees or snow hits the ground, you should be using an all season tire at minimum in the winter months.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I can definately say stay away from summer tires in the winter. When I put my ES100s on it was below 40 degrees, and the tires were very skid-ish. I can onyl imagine what slick conditions would have contributed. By the way, after a handful of autocrosses, I can say the ES100s will wear very well.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 07:07 PM

I've had the ES100s on my stock Evo 4 for a year now and i've been really happy with them. They are a good balance between performance (wet and dry)/endurance/price.

I've even done a few autokhana and trackday events with them. They are not suited for these events, but still gave better than average grip. I took 6 months of life off of them on one track day easily.

They improved noticably after around 1000 miles.

Previously I had Toyo Proxes FZ4s which are a lesser tyre.