Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake lights after brake pad install

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2007, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights after brake pad install

I just replaced the brake pads and fluid.

I bleed the fluid using valvoline syn fluid. (using correct procedure).
now the brake light came on and even after removing the battery cable for a while light is still on.

I also drove for a while and even did several stops from 80 to 20 (to brake-in the pads).

Any ideas what can be wrong?
Old May 21, 2007, 02:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I have a similar experience just recently with an '03 Evo I worked on. I checked the switch that tells the car the E-Brake is on, but that is fine. The turbo timer also works properly which indicates a problem further upstream than the switch itself.

Any ideas?
Old May 21, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to rebleed the brakes... In many cases as you poured the fluid in it retains air bubbles---I know it looks clear...but the tiny beads build up to big beads of air...Rebleed--follow the proper order and process. I have had the same issues in the past with other cars...this always works.
Old May 21, 2007, 05:10 PM

The instrument cluster's brake indicator light works double duty to indicate the parking brake handle is up and also that the brake fluid reservoir is low. Check your brake fluid with the car parked on a flat, level surface. Also check the connector at the reservoir and make sure it is plugged in and in good condition.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Brake light

I thoguht the bakes might have a front / rear circuit switch, but I don't see one on the circuit diagram.

ABS wires could be damaged, you really need to see if any codes are set, other than that the fluid level is a good call, should be rechecked.

Last edited by mitsuatb; May 21, 2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old May 21, 2007, 09:20 PM

ABS has it's own warning light to indicate codes/problems
Old May 22, 2007, 12:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by theretardtim
The instrument cluster's brake indicator light works double duty to indicate the parking brake handle is up and also that the brake fluid reservoir is low. Check your brake fluid with the car parked on a flat, level surface. Also check the connector at the reservoir and make sure it is plugged in and in good condition.
Bingo, we have a winnar!

He is correct... the brake light also acts as a "low brake fluid" warning light.

After bleeding the brakes and setting everything, the first drive of the car with new caliper install caused the fluid to go low due to it having to extend the piston out to reach the pads. Filling it up, caused the light to go away immediately.
Old May 22, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
Bingo, we have a winnar!

He is correct... the brake light also acts as a "low brake fluid" warning light.

After bleeding the brakes and setting everything, the first drive of the car with new caliper install caused the fluid to go low due to it having to extend the piston out to reach the pads. Filling it up, caused the light to go away immediately.
Yep, here too.

That was the issue. The fluid level was ok before the first drive and low after a few runs.
Fyi the calipers were not new.