Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bushing install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is when the improper sized die is used it sinks between the bushing and its metal surround. ***** sideways... jams up... shoots s*** across the shop...

I had pretty good luck using pipe to push out the bushings on some of my evo components. Because if it wasn't wide enough I'd just crush it a little to expand it. I got all thru all I needed until the last one, then I just kept feeding pipe thru parts for an hour as I got more and more s*** jammed into the bushing hole.

I think its safe to say the appropriate sized dies make things easier. I had a press but no dies. So I dealt with it. In the end I got them all out, and managed not to destroy anything.

lol...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Asmode - What kind of pipe and size, sir? Like mild steel or something? My friend has a press and we are going to try it this weekend on some of the smaller ones...

FYI - The bushings on the rack can be pushed out easily with a front end service tool which is a balljoint pusher, basically. It worked great, wish others were so easy.

OT - Can you PM me your best price on the aeromotive rail - ISP has a killer deal on them!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:00 AM

I rented a tool to do some of the bushings on my GTO,but the rear control arm ones were a nightmare because they were glued in
are any of the evo's bushings glued in?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Another idea is to go to your local driveline shop and buy up some of their old tubing. They always have some around and you can get it from 1.25" up to 4.5" with multiple wall thickness. Or, go to a shop and see what they have laying around for old inner bearing races. Those work well, and you can weld them up to some of the driveshaft pipe.