Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Just replace 1 tire.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replace 1 tire.

I have a set of Yoko ES100 and the rest of the 3 tires have atleast 60% thread left. I had to replace 1 new ES100 due to puncture sidewall. I wasn't aware of this information about having 1 new tire with the rest being even, might cause damaged to the differential.

Well this damaged be caused right away? Its been a month since I'm driving like this, and is getting worried. So need some opinion, should I replace all the tires?
Old May 31, 2007, 11:59 PM

i dont think you're going to damage the diff but for safety purposes and better performance i would replace all 4 tires or at least 2 on the same axle.

good luck!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Its not the diff you should be worried about, its the transfer case. If it starts the whine, thats bad news. I would at least try to get the wheel you replaced matched up with another wheel that has the most tread on the same axle. Damage would be done already I think, so not sure if you should be worried about it at this point. Just see what happens I guess.

If the tranny starts to whine, send it to Shep and replace the tires. And dont ever buy es100's again, theyre terrible!

:EDIT: Just reread my post, that is supposed to say if the tcase starts to whine. Your tranny will be fine, its the tcase that is affected by mismatched tires.

Last edited by 20psiMR; Jun 4, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 04:32 PM

If you're really worried, measure the circumference of the other 3 tires and check the difference to the new one. If the difference is 5% or below you should probably be OK. Maybe someone with more experience on the subject can chime in and tell you what is a safe number.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From Tirerack.

The ability of four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles to divide the engine's horsepower between its four tires is especially useful on loose or slippery surfaces such as sand and dirt, as well as on wet, icy or snow-covered roads. However it's important to remember that in order to transfer this extra power, the four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicle's driveline mechanically connects the tires so they work in unison.

Four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles are equipped with additional differentials and/or viscous couplings that are designed to allow momentary differences in wheel speeds when the vehicle turns a corner or temporarily spins a tire. However, if the differentials or viscous couplings are forced to operate 100% of the time because of mismatched tires, they will experience excessive heat and unwarranted wear until they fail.

This necessitates that four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles use tires that are very closely matched. This is because different diameter tires roll a different number of times each mile as a result of the variations in their circumferences. Tire diameter variations can be caused by accidentally using different sized tires, tires with different tread designs, tires made by different manufacturers, different inflation pressures or even tires worn to different tread depths.

As an example of different tire diameters resulting from tires worn to different tread depths, we'll compare two 225/45R17-sized tires, a new tire with its original tread depth of 10/32-inch and a second tire worn to 8/32-inch of remaining tread depth. The new 225/45R17-sized tire has a calculated diameter of 24.97", a circumference of 78.44" and will roll 835 times each mile. The same tire worn to 8/32-inch of remaining tread depth is calculated to be 1/8" shorter with a diameter of 24.84", have a circumference of 78.04" and will roll 839 times per mile. While the difference of 1/8" in overall diameter doesn't seem excessive, the resulting 4 revolutions per mile difference can place a continuous strain on the tires and vehicle's driveline. Obviously, the greater the difference in the tires' circumferences, the greater the resulting strain.

This makes maintaining the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire inflation pressures and using "matched" tires on all wheel positions necessary procedures to reduce strain on the vehicle's driveline. Using "matched" tires means all four tires are the same brand, design and tread depth. Mixing tire brands, tread designs and tread depths may cause components in the vehicle's driveline to fail.

Mismatched tires or using improper inflation pressures for all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles can also result in immediate drivability problems. Some Control Trac equipped vehicles in 4Auto mode may exhibit a shutter on acceleration and/or a noise from the front driveline and transfer case while driving. Some all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles may exhibit axle windup or binding while driving. Some four-wheel drive vehicles (manual or electronic shift) with a two-wheel drive mode may refuse to shift "on the fly" into 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High at highway speeds.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:26 PM

I agree all four tire should be the same if not your asking for big time trouble.

MODS
AMS STREET INTERCOOLER
AMS LICP
AMS DYNO AND TUNE
BLITZ MBC
BLITZ OPEN FILTER TOP
APS FULL 3"EXHAUST W/TEST PIPE
WALBRO FUEL PUMP
SAMCO COLD AIR PIPE
319AWHP
290AWTQ
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:46 AM
TVA
Evolving Member

Drain your diffs and transfer case and check for shavings. Replace fluids with all OEM. Have the newer tire shaved to the same tread depth as the other three. Do it ASAP, you're causing more damage every day you drive it. That is all.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

I've heard that some wheel and tire places can "shave" the new tire for you so that it has about the same wear as the rest.
Would probably be cheaper than replacing all 4.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 new tires would be good because than you will generally know when you will need to get the tires replaced.Yes it seems cheaper to replace just one but you will save your self headaches and handling issues with 4 tires with the same amount of wear.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be much more important to replace the 2 fronts or two rears at the same time rather than all 4 at once. Think about it....generally speaking the fronts wear quicker than the backs anyway.....and if you didnt rotate the tires as needed you'd have two fronts significantly lower than the backs ANYWAY. Unless the fronts were BALD and the rears were NEW i dont see it being a huge problem.