Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stance Vs. Megan Track

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^What are you talking about...Stance do come with pillow ball mounts http://www.stance-usa.com/basic.php and they dont cost $1300 they are $1200 for the GR+ . Regardless if the coilovers are designed to be without out them you think they are bad. Go tell Robi that when he installs a pair of KW Variant 3 that DO NOT use pillow ball mounts and he will smack you.

Last edited by dbsears; Jun 9, 2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STANCE has a proved themselves on the track.
Enjuku Racing, who were sponsored by Megan switched over to STANCE and they could not stop raving about the night and day difference in performance.
Try dealing with Megan Racing customer service, then call STANCE. See the difference in customer service.
I had Megan Racing on my car, and switched over to STANCE myself. I also ran HKS HiperMax II's. As you know...HiperMax was $2100...
For $800, Megan's aren't bad... can't beat the price.
but...
If you want quality, performance, customer service and proven track record... go with STANCE.

Contact STANCE directly, or PM me for pricing.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:05 AM

why would you buy a 30,000 dollar car and get the cheapest parts for it?

Last edited by evo9guy; Jun 10, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a matter for buying "enough" vs. paying too much when you don't have to in order to accomplish the same goal. It has nothing at all to do with buying "cheap" parts. I personally REFUSE to buy new big name "JDM" parts as that is what you are usually buying... "name". If the saying "...you get what you pay for..." were true, most "big name" JDM parts would be delivered by two 18 year old ****** because they'd HAVE to for you to actually get your money's worth! (male or female depending on the customer )

People who daily drive their cars have no business driving around daily with "race parts" on their cars for the most part. I'd say "wish I had a nickle" for every "race part" I've had a customer ask me to remove, but I had to charge them much more than that. On the flip side, I've never had a customer tell me they didn't like their Megan coilovers for street duty. I've had three want more options for cars that became weekend track *****, yet I still have people competing in SCCA on them.

It's also a kin to driving around with an "aggressive alignment" on the street... then the customer being unhappy because his $800-$1000 set of tires get chewed up (car handled GREAT though! ). You really have to re-think what the purpose of the car is going to be doing 80% of the time vs. 5-10% of the time. No one here really needs a set of ultra nice DMS 50s to drive to work/school on when they can do the same for 1/5th the cost on Megans. People really can't safely explore the limits of Megans on the street, so how could they do the same with "more" coilover?

Last edited by Zeus; Jun 11, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

i have the megan tracks and i love them! i live in michigan where 75% of the roads are bad roads. still, the tracks are not too stiff for daily driving imho.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo9guy
why would you buy a 30,000 dollar car and get the cheapest parts for it?

If I bought the cheapest parts I would have bought some springs and threw them on the car. It's a matter of buying what is adequate for my needs in terms of performance and quality. For me, the Megans are perfect and just so happen to have a very nice price point to boot.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChuckP
Megan Tracks for sure. Awsome coils. But if you cant live with a stiff ride, DO NOT BUY THEM! The are stiff on the softest setting.
i dont think anything is stiffer than my old setup...mullerized JIC FLT A2's i had to get rid of them because it was compressing my spine...seriously...i was have back issues. luckily my dad is a chyropractor
Old Jun 11, 2007, 02:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by rr06rs
If I bought the cheapest parts I would have bought some springs and threw them on the car. It's a matter of buying what is adequate for my needs in terms of performance and quality. For me, the Megans are perfect and just so happen to have a very nice price point to boot.
This is my point, people all too often HAVE to have the "best" race parts... well, sometimes the best is not application correct. 90% of Evos are daily drivers, NOT true track cars. If I had a nickle for every time I've heard a customer say, "... I'll do a few track days a year..." only to find they NEVER made it to the track 2-3 years later. Sure they made it to the strip for a few 1/4 mile runs, but never got the car on the tarmac to "need" a higher end coilover year round. So for 90% of people spending over $1k is in fact over kill.

Of course it can be argued that why then buy a coilover at all then? Well, because they want "more". More for some is less dive/squat/roll. For some, a set of springs is enough (I don't recommend them personally). For others though, they want a better ride too. With the Megan Street set, you CAN have your cake and eat it too without the huge wedding cake price. Seriously, forget the Vendor thing, buy them from someone else, but I still say there is not a better daily driver coilover for the dollar the the Megan Street set. Ask those who have dealt with me, I'm an enthusiast first, and a Vendor a distant, distant second, or third, or maybe fourth... you get the point.

Evo8yurAMG,

If the dampening is right, you'd be surprised how livable some spring rates can be. That however, is VERY subjective!!!!

On a tangent I wish I had a nickle for the "big" turbos I've been paid to REMOVE because the customer was not as happy as they thought they would be... goes to the mentality that "more" is not always best.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its the dependability. I have heard of quite of few people having clunking problems from the tophats or premature failures. And this thread wasn't starting with the guy asking for the best He stated Stance vs Megan Track. If somebody can afford this car they can afford an extra $300 to get superior coilovers.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Stance!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Its the dependability. I have heard of quite of few people having clunking problems from the tophats or premature failures. And this thread wasn't starting with the guy asking for the best He stated Stance vs Megan Track. If somebody can afford this car they can afford an extra $300 to get superior coilovers.

I'm the one that posted about the clunking and it was due to an install error which was fixed. I say, buy whatever you feel comfortable with. I know my megans give some pretty fantastic handling cars a run for their money on the street. That's all I can say. $800 well spent That's all I have to say.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by rr06rs
The reason why i said this is because, there hhave been mixed reviews about megans where as stance has had no bad reviews... once again you get what you pay for that the only reason I said that... no worries thought i dont have stance for sale any more, enjoy your megans
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The only mixed reviews I'm aware of are from a bad batch of spherical bearings (those customers should all be taken care of), and one particular person who keeps melting the plastic isolators that keep the springs quiet on the perches. That, I have no answer for as I've got people who compete on these without those same said issues. However that, I'm to the understand of, originally came from some jack *** at Megan sending him the wrong springs that were too long. He was having some contact that I'm sure was heating things up (scary!). Had he come through me, I'm sure it could have all been worked out in the end.

I hope NO ONE thinks I'm arguing that the Stance coilovers are not a good product, or of lesser quality, because that is not true. I AM arguing that the Megan Street set is of great quality, and the best bang for the buck for Average Joe Evo owner!

...and like I said, if you truly do always "get what you pay for", 60% of aftermarket products would have to come with two 18 year old ****** for the large amount of money

It's really more like Craftsman/Snap-On/Matco... You will pay a lot more for some, when you really could pay a bit less and do the same job with the same benefits.

Last edited by Zeus; Jun 14, 2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

I speak from experience with having both Megans and STANCE on my car...
Megans - rebound is unpredictable... valving is not correct for EVO application in my opinion.

When you say that why set up your car to the 5 - 10% of the time we're at the track or racing... I think people can argue why they purchase AMS intercoolers, manifolds, and alky kits...and why people use $7/qt oils... It's the thought of reassurance that they are getting quality parts, and that they can push their cars to the limit when they have the urge...
People also like the idea of having the "best" part on their car.
I would definitely buy Ebay test pipes, ebay intake pipes...etc... but can't cheap out on certain parts of your car.

I can't argue that if you are on a budget, and had to decide between getting a set of springs, or budget priced coilovers..go with megans *best bang for the buck*. Can't beat Megan's price...
I bought Megan's for the price as well...

when I heard how Enjuku racing team...who were sponsored by Megan's raving about the STANCE coilovers and how the 240/RX-7/350z people raving about STANCE I had to try driving my friend's evo with them. Needless to say I was sold.

Last edited by EvoPooPoo; Jun 15, 2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 03:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

First, which Set did you have? (Street or Track) You sound more like an actual track guy to which, depending on skill, very well may need "more" suspension than the Megan Street set. However, I submit to all that most people don't.

Second, you misconstrued my point... whether it was well put or not. Most of my customers who run the Megan Street coilovers, do in fact run the very parts you speak of. It's not about whether you need a Lamborghini or an Evo to get around the track. The Evo very well may get you around a little quicker... it just won't get you the brownie points, and may not be quiet as "smooth" about it.

Analogies a side, I'd say an Ebay to AMS intercooler is a far piece different than the difference between these two coilovers. However, I've got people competing on these (Track Set) too who came from $1800 JDM (un-named on purpose) coilovers and like them better. Hey, whatever. Setups/driving styles are VERY subjective, and the coilovers are only a part of the entire suspension picture. I personally think that you are in "entry" level coilovers until you get into the Ohlins/DMS range anyway. However, that is for true track people... moving into your avatar, which is for serious people, and should be far removed from the daily grind.

Again, I have badmouthed no one's product... and don't intend to.

Quick Reply: Stance Vs. Megan Track