Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel Curvature and Lip Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Curvature and Lip Discussion

With reading all of the posts with pics of your wheels and the different offsets i am noticing a few things.

In some pics the wheels are basically a flat faced wheel. The offset is usually +35 but the width is 8.5 or 9" depths. Note wheel design is a factor here as well.

What i am looking for here is the lowest offset we can get on an Evo with maximum width. I think it's safe to say that the widest wheel we can get on the Evo is 17x9.5 or 18x9.5 without major fender modification.

Now, what i want to know is has anyone seen pics or can confirm any super low offsets on the Evo?

Here are some examples....

Notice behind the spoke, the amount of distance from the spoke to the caliper. This is 18x9.5 with +35 offset i believe from reading another post. There is hardly any spoke curvature due to the +35 offset (and wheel design).

What i am looking for is a pic or a confirmation of SEEN work that shows lower offset on a Evo. The lowest offset i've seen is +27 on the RBMotoring Evo 8. See below....RB Motoring Evo 8

I know the RB Evo isn't the best example to use due to the wheel choice but the less the offset (read negative offset with wider wheel) = more lip and more wheel design/spoke curvature.

Someone has to know if someone in Japan that has done this and get some pics on here. I have seen the look i am hoping to achieve. Ever seen the Top Secret 350Z with LE-37s? I am talking the front wheel only here.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:08 AM

For just a bit more insight....

350Z with offset similar to Red Evo 8 above

Notice the offset of this front wheel versus the offset to the Red Evo. The Evo has room to work with...but how much?

If i could get this look all the way around on the Evo8, someone would have to get me to stop humpin the car.

Look hoping to achieve

Last edited by BoostJunkie; Jun 22, 2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

So what do you want? Take offset out of the equation. Do you want a deep dish style wheel? Or just a wheel with curvature? Gram Lights have curves. The Advans on the EVO you posted had curves. Almost every wheel that will fit the EVO will have curvature in order to clear the calipers. Designs like stock evo 8 wheels and the mesh of EVO 7 wheels will not have that curvature, but that's it. If you want a deep dish and curvature, you will have to go with a 9 inch wide wheel. Do you plan on lowering the car? Need to consider that before you begin your wheel/tire quest.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:32 AM

Well here is the thing....

I am looking for lip....the more lip the more spoke curvature.

I want to know if the Evo can handle any offsets lesss than +27. See if anyone has done any testing with pics. I use to work for a custom wheel shop so i am familiar.

I am seeking low offset because as the offset gets lower....you get more lip and spoke curvature.

Oh...and yes i am planning to lower with coilovers. Keeping an eye out for Ralliart.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

I think the Cyber EVO has the look you want, i also am looking for that wider lip action. The Cyber EVO is running Volk CE28s but the offset looks nice.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:26 AM

hmmm

I know these are wide but does anyone know the specs on these?

Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:30 PM

Bingo!

I think i just found what i was looking for. This is from the address from the pic above.

Cyber Evo link with details

Basically 17x9.5 with +15 Offset and 17x9.5 rear with +35 Offset.

Ok so now we know it's possible. Gotta search of anything custom that was done to achieve this is the next step. I appreciate the help i am getting here cause it's givin me ideas and clues to other search paths. Thanks all!

check out the lip here on the CE28Ns

Last edited by BoostJunkie; Jun 23, 2003 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

I guarantee you that that the wheels rub on that car.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:02 PM

The point of this is to gain understanding of what works, what works with modification and what has no chance in hell of working. Thank you though mr.decibel for the input as it is appreciated and you very well may be correct.

Just as a side note. I was puting odd fitments on cars when my co-workers at the custom wheel shop said the very same thing and that was 8 years ago. I still proved them wrong many a time. We honestly won't know till someone tries it with some test fitting. It is the only way to know for sure.

Last edited by BoostJunkie; Jun 23, 2003 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 07:19 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

booostjunkie
so whats the word on what fits?
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

I am felin you boost, I think i just sold my IS 300 so its off to get my EVO, I am gonna try to get 18 x 8.5 with + 25 offset, otherwise its gonna be 18x9.5 and the sick *** +15 and +28 in the rear action. Keep us posted on what you find Boost I am with ya

BA
Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:10 AM

Here is the problem....

My only way of knowing what really fits is what i find on the web. Searching Yahoo Japan and using the AltaVista Translate site. I can recognize a few things when i see it but this isn't easy.

Before any of you purchase anything....TEST FIT the wheel first if possible. Many wheel shops will not take a wheel back once you mount a tire on them. That's just experience talkin.

We know what tires work. It's the offset to get the look you want that's the problem.

+35 we know works for sure. That pic i found is the first time i've seen a +15 work but i have no idea if anything custom has been done to the fenderwells or not.

The difference in the +15 to +35 offset is what they are taking away from what is behind the wheel spokes to the hub (then begins caliper) and adds it to the outside of the wheel.

Thus if you look at HRE 540s versus the HRE 540Rs. The 540Rs are designed with more lip in mind. I am assuming the "R" is for "reverse" offset.

Problem is when you call a company like this...how do say "reverse" or "more wheel lip" in Japanese?

For insight ... Offset Link

Last edited by BoostJunkie; Jun 26, 2003 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:11 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

i don't see how the +15 would fit...with the 9.5" wide wheels.
they must has roller the fender...otherwise something has to hit.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll call Yoshi-san about the Cyber EVO offsets issue. Doesn't make sence to me?
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:21 PM

Question

I would like to know as well. It's right there on the link though.

Quick Reply: Wheel Curvature and Lip Discussion