Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help Picking Next Tires

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help Picking Next Tires

I have come to the end of my stock Advans, and really enjoyed them. The only reason I am not considering them again is the short wear life. I've used through them in about 12k miles, without tracking them at all, and abusing them rarely. I am looking for a set of tires that I would be able to do some autocross in, but still maintain them as daily drivers. I would like for them to perform well in the rain, as I don't have the cash to spend on a winter set. What is the largest I would be able to run on the stock Enkei's without modification to my fenders? Thanks for all your help
Happy Fourth as Well!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I'd like to know what the best tire is that handles well, but doesn't have the price tag of the Advans... Any ideas?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

from my experience....

bargain tires that are still worth having are the following...

Falken Azenis 615.....if you dont get snow in your area
Falken Zeix 512....If you do get snow

BFgoodrich KDW....alittle more $ seem to last longer (no snow)
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stealth Ag
Falken Azenis 615.....if you dont get snow in your area
+1 probably.
These sound like what you need. They are good for Autox and priced well for what you get. TONS of people run them on their DD's.

People used to run Kuhmo Ecsta (sp?) a lot, but I don't see them mentioned much.

I've ran Continental Sport Contact's on a pair of AWD cars with good results. Definite step down in dry handling, but they did pretty well in dry, rain, and really awesome combined with AWD in the snow. Something like $500 for a set last I knew.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Considering you dont want to shell out the 240 ea for stock tires some options are

Kumho MX are good, cheap, and work well until the cords show through
Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions, have one of the stiffest sidewalls youll find
Falken rt-615 look great and perform well with a pretty stiff sidewall, people report that they get greasy when roadcoursing.
Bridgestone re01r have a softer sidewall than the stock tires but ride quieter and have a overall grip level rated higher than that of the a046's
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:17 AM

Spoil yourself and get some Advan A048. I am running them on my 2.5RS and I love them. They make a lot of road noise, but hey, its a performance car, not a caddy

Like Stealth said, Falken Azenis 615 are a great set of tires for the $

Last edited by Skimafia; Jul 6, 2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the advan A048 has a lower UTOG rating meaning it will even wear faster than the stock advans. there are other cheaper versions of advans that may be worthwhile.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want to good everyday driver tire I'd say Michelin PS2. They are great in the rain, they make very little noise, they have a lot of dry grip, and they wear very well. The Michelin's will cost you around $190ea. I have a set and highly recommend them to anyone.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by grillpt
If you want to good everyday driver tire I'd say Michelin PS2. They are great in the rain, they make very little noise, they have a lot of dry grip, and they wear very well. The Michelin's will cost you around $190ea. I have a set and highly recommend them to anyone.
I am trying to decide to go with the RE01R's or the PS2's. I use my MR DD and don't like the harshness of the stockers...
Old Aug 14, 2007, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The RE01Rs are noticeably softer than the stock Advans. I love the grip they have! Don't know how long they'll last though.

And you guys going through the stock Advans in 12k.... I got mine to last 22k and I haven't run into anyone that corners faster than me yet in daily driving; hell, I corner faster in the car than I do on my bike. With a few track days thrown in, I can see them wearing out in 12k easily, but purely street driving? Most of my miles weren't even highway.

Maybe your alignments are off? Hard on the brakes?

I would probably recommend the RE050A Pole Positions as they are the replacement for the S03s and I went through 3 sets on my Nissan. Absolutely loved those tires and they can handle a Florida and Texas rainstorm with no problems. The Pole Positions won't have the grip of the RE01Rs but they should last longer!

Last edited by spdracerut; Aug 14, 2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 05:39 AM

PS2 work well for me and that includes track time as well.I did get 20K out of them.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks for input guys. Tire shop I deal with wants to put toyos on, RA1's, and I am resisting. I guess it's either PS2's or RE01's then. I've never had success with Toyo, tried on my old subie turbo wagon years back and hated them.

Now I just have to get rid of the A046's with 1k on them...
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DRTV
Thanks for input guys. Tire shop I deal with wants to put toyos on, RA1's, and I am resisting. I guess it's either PS2's or RE01's then. I've never had success with Toyo, tried on my old subie turbo wagon years back and hated them.

If you're getting rid of the tires just because of harshness then maybe the Evo wasn't the best car choice. Mine rides pretty rough even with ****ty all seasons on it. GL
Old Aug 16, 2007, 07:23 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DRTV
that's the best tire there is for the evo. I think Evocarmagazine UK had their fastest times beating the carrera 4s and the new RS4 in their speed tests. they used another make and model of tires but it wasn't as fast as the A046. if you have it then you are in good company.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I know you are tight with money but I work for Goodyear and they just created the Eagle F1 All season tire. I haven't heard of any evos with them on but maybe you could be the first one to try them out. They are pretty expensive though. This tire has two carbon fiber reinforced sidewalls, excellent traction in dry weather, rain and snow. I have had guys with vettes and mustangs buy these and handle like crazy. Plus if you don't like them, you can exchange them within 30 days of your purchase. I am not here to sell these. I am here to help you out and inform you of new products people haven't tried yet.