Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tein S-Tech

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so tein sucks? they have hot models tho
Old Oct 17, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know how anyone could think the s-techs are any good on an evo. The front of my car is way springy and they only have 4k miles on springs and the struts. (bought it this way) so the struts aren't blown at all. It really rides like the struts are shot though. Its unstable in corners and will bounce and push like hell. They are too low for the geometry of the suspension and just suck in general. These are the "stylish"-tech its in the name, TEIN doesn't make these to perform well, just to give the car the low look. Don't buy these unless that is what your going for and your cheap. Get swifts and bilstein struts if you want a good DD set-up that improves handling, throw in some sway bars and your set.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Also just a heads up.. asking a question that has been answered many times in a section with the most strict guidelines on subject matter in a forum that isn't for you car can be frowned upon. Not tryin to bust your *****, you'll just get better answers to your ?'s in the right place after you've searched the extensive information already on the site. This will also keep the mods happy.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

tein is not good for evo .. i have tein springs they were on my car when i got them there ok for daily but baaaad for autocross lol .. im all about kw variant 3s robi spec style..
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone know if s-techs would work any better with some KYB shocks, or any other performance shocks?

i already bought em but haven't installed them yet. i do like the drop on them from looking @ everyone else's, that's why i ask.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It doesn't really matter what shock you use....the fact is the shock is barely doing anything at that point because the car is on or close to the bumpstop before you even hit a bump.

A set of EVO bouncy, leaking struts that were running S-techs as we took them and replaced them:

Notice the bumpstop at the top? Not good. I would prefer stock then these.

- andrew
Old Nov 4, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
25k miles on my S.Techs with stock GSR shocks. Zero issues, decent ride quality, compliant handling, and even an auto-x trophy. For me, its a great spring and I love the aggressive drop.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I bought my car with Tein S-tech's already installed. It was long before that that I drove a 100% stock evo. But my Tein's were bouncy, but I checked my struts and they weren't blown. I decided to switch to Swifts due to many of the comments on here and I've NEVER looked back.

Tein's drop does look nice, but the Swifts aren't noticabley THAT much higher, but they're high enough to keep the geometry in line. The drop still looks great with the Swifts. They ride much better and improve handeling over the Tein's.

Though, I will say, the Tein's with a good alignment, is STILL better than a lot of cars I've driven. They're not as bad as people make them out to be, but there is MUCH better, such as Swift, GTWORX, and I hear WORKS, Tanabe and Espleir is good too.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:37 AM

tein S(sux) TECH

Unbiasedly I will say these springs are garbage. Purchased them for an old civic...... blew shocks in 1 month........ Bought my new Evo ( well used, but ne to me!) with some Sux TECH springs................... will be going with stock springs over TEIN.

Save your money, buy something that costs more!!! you get what you pay for.!

BTW, any stock springs for sale??????
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Im rockin S-Techs, nice stance and ride height BUT rides like p00p and handles worse than stock.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrumpys
Unbiasedly I will say these springs are garbage. Purchased them for an old civic...... blew shocks in 1 month........ Bought my new Evo ( well used, but ne to me!) with some Sux TECH springs................... will be going with stock springs over TEIN.

Save your money, buy something that costs more!!! you get what you pay for.!

BTW, any stock springs for sale??????
You should have called us a week ago when we were moving, we had a set of stock springs.

- Andrew
Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:25 PM

I think S-tech are fine.. there's really a bias opnion about those springs.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Mine is not an opinion. I don't "think" they are bad, I know they are. This is based on my experience after driving on them and simple engineering analysis of their spring rates and drop. The only thing they are "fine" for are looks. They perform worse then stock in terms of handling and ride quality. Measure the amount of bump travel you have stock. Now subtract 2 inches for the S-tech drop. You will see that you are compressing the bumpstops AT REST and have no bump travel remaining.

EDIT: there was a point early in Racecomp/GTWorx history where we sold a handful of S-techs. It didn't take long for us to vow never to sell them again after witnessing what they did to cars and we removed them from our websites. We felt it was simply not in our best interest and unfair to provide such a poorly designed product to our clients.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Nov 13, 2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about the Tein H-Tech?... instead of the S-Tech's...????
Old Dec 4, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akauf
I don't know how anyone could think the s-techs are any good on an evo. The front of my car is way springy and they only have 4k miles on springs and the struts. (bought it this way) so the struts aren't blown at all. It really rides like the struts are shot though. Its unstable in corners and will bounce and push like hell. They are too low for the geometry of the suspension and just suck in general. These are the "stylish"-tech its in the name, TEIN doesn't make these to perform well, just to give the car the low look. Don't buy these unless that is what your going for and your cheap. Get swifts and bilstein struts if you want a good DD set-up that improves handling, throw in some sway bars and your set.
Originally Posted by kenji815
I think S-tech are fine.. there's really a bias opnion about those springs.
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Mine is not an opinion. I don't "think" they are bad, I know they are. This is based on my experience after driving on them and simple engineering analysis of their spring rates and drop. The only thing they are "fine" for are looks. They perform worse then stock in terms of handling and ride quality. Measure the amount of bump travel you have stock. Now subtract 2 inches for the S-tech drop. You will see that you are compressing the bumpstops AT REST and have no bump travel remaining.

EDIT: there was a point early in Racecomp/GTWorx history where we sold a handful of S-techs. It didn't take long for us to vow never to sell them again after witnessing what they did to cars and we removed them from our websites. We felt it was simply not in our best interest and unfair to provide such a poorly designed product to our clients.

- Andrew
No they aren't. I have them. And right now I have no suspension left on my car. They were "fine" for a while... although did as underlined portion. Especially on uneven road surfaces after I added 150hp or so. The car will load, and unload and shoot across the road almost at random.

I would have to venture a guess of roughly 20k miles on mine. Up until a month ago they seemed fine. In the last month my entire suspension has deteriorated to complete s**t because of these springs.

Just wham, game over. Started feeling the bumps a little more, then poof. Goo everywhere.

Once it got cold again the damage tally on all the struts from the last year or so added up and took everything out at once.

Do not buy these springs.

Do not.

I thought they were "fine" too, so I left them on. They are not. I should have taken them off. Because right now I wouldn't be replacing everything.

These people are adamant about them for a reason. To save you these kinds of headaches.
Listen to them.

Quick Reply: Tein S-Tech