Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Do I need an Alignment??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need an Alignment??

Before I installed my springs my tires were getting a little worned out on the inside, especially in the front.

About 3 weeks ago I lowered the car on springs and rotated the tires after 10k. My back tires were pretty much still new in the back. Now that I rotated the tires and lowered the car, my rear tires on the inside are pretty much like a slick! I understand that I rotated the tires so there wasn't much thread left but after 3 weeks of driving they are like a slick on the inside of the tire only. On the rest of the tire there is a lot of thread left. So my question is will an alignment fix this issue? or do I need camber plates?
It just sucks to buy 4 new tires and when there is a lot of thread left. The only part getting worned out so quickly is on the inside of the tire.

thanks in advance guys.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

More than likey you need an alignment. Even with a mild or low spring drop your toe (also called negative camber) is still going to be off causing uneven tire wear.

Your tires would look like this, maybe not as extreme. There are advantage in certain situations where it's nice to have some negative camber, just not to the point where it is doing a lot of tire damage. Depending on your spring drop would justify camber plates or not.

Last edited by Spookpur; Jul 16, 2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:13 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Although negative camber will wear your tires on the inside it is not nearly as much of a contributing factor as is toe.

Unusual or rapid tire wear, suspension changes, handling problems --> get your alignment checked.
You have 2 of these and are probably unaware of the third

Last edited by JTB; Jul 16, 2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I have the Teins S Tech. 2.0inch in the front 1.9inch in the back. How does camber plates work? and should I get them before I align the car? Will the alignment shop be able to adjust my camber plates? or do I have to do it?
Sorry for all the questions

Thanks again.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

You might as well run now, there are quite a few who will diss the Tein S Springs. But nonetheless, get an alignment if you like the springs. The plates fit at the top of the front struts...at the same place the strut tower brace would mount. They have a sliding design that lets you move the top of the strut around in various directions. This lets you adjust both camber and caster.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, after doing any type of suspension work you definitely want to have the car aligned. Also, I'd recommend rotating the tires about every 5k, ten is a bit much IMO...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:24 AM

I know most people don't like the S Tech here, but I like them. Anyways, so the camber plates only work for the front? what about the rear? How do you adjust them? Now I need to find a place where to get an alignment for lowered cars.

Another quick question...my tires are almost worned out on the inside...now if I do an alignment right now with those tires, will I have to re-align the car with new tires?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:36 AM

Would these work with springs and coilovers since I am planing to get coilovers? http://impressiveimportperformance10...oducts_id=2127
or these http://impressiveimportperformance10...oducts_id=5993
I didn't find any for the back...do they make any? or it isn't necessary?

Last edited by FrenchyIX; Jul 16, 2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:27 AM

So alignment should fix it? or should I get camber plates before aligning the car?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Alignment should do the trick, you don't necessarily need camber plates. I know you have heard it before but the S techs are the WORST thing you can do to your evo suspension wise. They are 100% looks and 0% performance. If you want your car to handle worse than it did stock then use them, but if I were you I'd sell them and buy the GTWorx springs or Swifts if you must go the spring route. If I were you I'd just get the Megan Street Coils and call it a day. If you do get the alignment don't just go to some local tire place. Find yourself a shop that knows what they're doing.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No, you don't need camber plates.

After most suspension changes, you need an alignment fairly soon afterwards, less then a week. Tein S-techs are a fairly massive suspension alteration (not in a good way, as many will tell you), so your toe and camber, which are not the same thing, are massively off.

I think you would love the Swift springs over the Teins.....

- Andrew