Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Azenis RT-615 255/40/17 Break in? GREASY in corners

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Azenis RT-615 255/40/17 Break in? GREASY in corners

So just had these mounted on the stock wheels (after much research as to fitment/handling). Is there a period that has to pass before optimal grip finally surfaces? I took a jug-handle corner at a quick clip and as I passed the apex it felt like the rear tires only suddenly were covered with grease..

The front stuck fine and I enjoy a bit of over-steer but I Am curious about what to expect down the road. Again, turn-in was fine and the car was neutral in stance until after the apex and then no squeel or anything, just felt like a grease patck on the back tires...

Any suggestions/enlightenment appreciated.

Tom
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

They took about 500mi to break in for me...
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

yes 500 miles of normal driving will break em in. Even less with other types of driving.....
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely don't get on them for at least 100 miles unless you scrub them in! The release compound from the manufacturing process is really embedded in those tires it seems (probably because they are so soft and probably absorb things easily), as was the case with the RT-215's. When I first got them mounted I got BIG sideways driving out of the driveway of the tire place at what I thought was a reasonable speed. Don't worry though the grip will come. Just to be sure though, check your tire pressures. Over-inflation will make you lose grip too.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Go to a big, open parking lot and do some wide circles at a high rate of speed. Or if you have a few mods, try to do some 4 wheel burnouts or donuts if they wont hurt your trans and transfer case. Should wear that release stuff off pretty quick. I plan on doing a burnout or two to break in my new rear tires this evening.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VT Mitsu
So just had these mounted on the stock wheels (after much research as to fitment/handling). Is there a period that has to pass before optimal grip finally surfaces? I took a jug-handle corner at a quick clip and as I passed the apex it felt like the rear tires only suddenly were covered with grease..

The front stuck fine and I enjoy a bit of over-steer but I Am curious about what to expect down the road. Again, turn-in was fine and the car was neutral in stance until after the apex and then no squeel or anything, just felt like a grease patck on the back tires...

Any suggestions/enlightenment appreciated.

Tom
yes about 500 miles is needed to burn off the greasy release agent thats on the surface.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:37 AM

Honestly these on the track are still as greasy as the 215's were, once heated up.

For normal street driving these tires are fine. Like everyone else said, drive on them for ~100-200 miles before attempting to time attack your local switchbacks. =)

Ed
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by edzilla
Honestly these on the track are still as greasy as the 215's were, once heated up.

For normal street driving these tires are fine. Like everyone else said, drive on them for ~100-200 miles before attempting to time attack your local switchbacks. =)

Ed
Hell yeah these tires are very greasy when hot , and in the worst way possible... They hold and hold to a point and then they just let go with no warning And it doesnt take long to heat them up so that sucks also.

But yeah cool daily driver tire. Another nice tire people dont seem to give a chance is the 180 thread wear SS 595 RS Federal. I tried those and liked them much better that the RT-615
Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:07 PM

^-- What he said

I've heard good things about the Federal as well. Also you might want to check out the Hankook RS-2's.

215/615 = understeer like a ****!!! :P

Ed
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

I appreciate the feedback on the issues about breaking these things in.

I had not come across the dissatisfaction others have voiced about these.
Most reviews have spoken well of these and certainly not mentioned extreme understeer

Ah well, time will tell

Thanks gentlemen
Tom
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never experienced the greasiness people are talking about. I've run RT-215's and RT-615's. 215's were wobbly because of the size and fell off quickly (virtually melting) but 615's are A-OK on the track for me in 255/40/17 (so long as I monitor the tire pressures and don't let them balloon up).

Understeer with 4 equally matched tires is a function of the car's suspension geometry, not the tire.

I've never tried those Federal tires, maybe next time I get tires I'll give them a shot.

And to the OP: How are the tires now that (I'm sure) you have a lot more miles on them?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

I've run the 615s in 255 for the last 8 track days and they are horrible when they overheat... I didn't realize or feel if for a few days but as my ability moved to a solid intermediate + driver all of a sudden I was pushing hard enough and in the right way that they started to squirm in the turns....

they're still one hell of a value tire... but they certainly have their limits and downsides.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Rt615 are more of an autoX tire, they perform very well when cool but are NOT designed for hot lapping. If you purchased these for road racing or hpde's, you didnt do much research sadly..:/
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

they're fine for a beginner to learn on... it would be a waste to spend double for a n00b.... I'm riding out the rest of the year one some kdw2s then race tires next year.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theblue
they're fine for a beginner to learn on... it would be a waste to spend double for a n00b.... I'm riding out the rest of the year one some kdw2s then race tires next year.
im not arguing with you.. If anything noobs should be running stock rubber.

Quick Reply: Azenis RT-615 255/40/17 Break in? GREASY in corners