Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

suspension set up

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension set up

I have an 04 evo and i wanted to start to autocross. I was woundering what would be the best set up for a autocross/track car that i can also drive around town and not worry about braking anything. I want something that handels really well and i can also take on back roads and have fun with.
thanks
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too broad of a question really. From low to high, many suspension can be used for what you said. You're not going to brake anything just because of your suspension, so that's not a worry, and just about any suspension can be "driven around town."

The real question is how competitive do you want to be, and how much do you want to spend. You can get some basic Megan coils for $750-850, and those will make you faster in autox while also being perfectly fine for daily driving, but you won't really be competitive compared to cars with real suspensions. You can get the PIC TSOs for $1550 and be much more competitive for double the price. Or, you can get a big-time setup from Robispec and have a dominant car that will sacrifice a bit more in the daily driving realm.

My setup is very aggressive with very stiff springs that most people would not want to drive daily, but I don't care, because it doesn't bother me, and I want to win.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

there was a guy selling a set of tein coilovers with edfc on the boards within the last day or so.... with the controller you can control your ride dampening and make it stiffer for the track and softer for the road with the pushing of a few buttons
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

And I would avoid Teins completely...
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

i suppose you have data and a whole lot of links to back that up ? I think there are a lot of people that run them and are happy. If he isnt looking to get crazy into road racing, and wants the adjustments to be immediate for the type of driving he wants to do, then why not use them. For 900 for the set and controller, you get a setup that buries the megans by far
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Iam looking to do well i down want junk in my car so i would rather stay away from Mrgan but i also dont need the best set up out there what would you guys say the best way to go would be say one if i wanted to spend around 1500 and second if i wanted to spend around 2000. I want something that would be real competitive.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

that would of been something to put in the original post lol.... now let the actual road racers jump in here.... i dont road race, just know enough about a little bit to point in the right directions

PM KREIONIC on here and see what he says... he races, and is a really smart guy
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

search for PIC TSO by 992GNT he switched from JIC to PIC he did a write up on them .
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
that would of been something to put in the original post lol.... now let the actual road racers jump in here.... i dont road race, just know enough about a little bit to point in the right directions

PM KREIONIC on here and see what he says... he races, and is a really smart guy
Kreionic??? He's a good guy but definitely not a racer.

OP, for $1550, I'd get the PIC TSOs. If you go up to 2k or higher, then check out http://robispec.com and look at his advanced packages, specifically the KW Variants and DMS.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Kreionic??? He's a good guy but definitely not a racer.

OP, for $1550, I'd get the PIC TSOs. If you go up to 2k or higher, then check out http://robispec.com and look at his advanced packages, specifically the KW Variants and DMS.
he road races, his car is buttloads faster then yours, and i said he is a smart guy, knowledgeable, for you who seems to go back to the 1st grade every now and again

HE REEDS GUD AND NOOS A LOT
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure what you're talking about. What's the last time trial event he won or the last autocross he dominated? I know kreionic, and he's a really good guy, but I have no idea where you get this stuff about him being "buttloads" faster than me. That's crazy.

I also don't know what's up with the blatant insults. I haven't done anything remotely close to 1st grade behavior here. My spelling and grammar are impeccable as well, so that last line was completely asinine. How about sticking to the point of this thread? I'm actually trying to help this guy meet his needs by providing FACTUAL, EXPERIENCED input, which you do not have in regards to road racing.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

my point was you didnt read what i wrote.... i said he road races... obviously, by your reply, you know he does. I didnt say he was a road racing god, i said he was a smart guy. The thing with smart people is, they do a lot of research. I have discussed coilovers with him in the past, so i know he has some knowledge to share with the OP. So, i suggested PMing him for his recommendation.

My personal issues with you are non existent. I didnt blatantly insult you. If i did, then some of the stuff you post to people would warrant murder in return. My phonetic spelling wasnt because you cant spell, it was to help you comprehend what i wrote since you have a habit at times of reading posts but only understanding what you want to exploit

EDIT

I've spoken with kreionic and he suggested for 15 the PIC's and for 2000 the ohlins.
He wanted more info, just dont have enough of what the original OP wants

Last edited by bigric09; Jul 18, 2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

No, I don't know he road races. I couldn't find one thread where he talked about road racing. I dont' know why you're all on his jock, but if you noticed, he basically suggested what I did, although just saying "Ohlins" for 2k doesn't mean anything. It would be much better to spend 2k on a full package that is built to work together unless the OP knows how to do all of his own setup.

Yes, you did blatantly insult me for no reason. all I've done is help this guy, and you flew off the handle about junk. You also suggested he talk to someone who isn't a competitive racer (not road racig nor autocrossing) just because you've talked to him and think he's smart. Wouldn't it make more sense to suggest someone who is competitive and has gone fast? What about when you said his car is buttloads faster than mine? That shows you obviously have no clue.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

wow sorry for stiring up all this trouble. I just wanted some help on my setup.

what dose everyone think about the PIC TSOs?

is there any others that i should look at?
where is everyone buying them from?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, I don't know he road races. I couldn't find one thread where he talked about road racing. I dont' know why you're all on his jock, but if you noticed, he basically suggested what I did, although just saying "Ohlins" for 2k doesn't mean anything. It would be much better to spend 2k on a full package that is built to work together unless the OP knows how to do all of his own setup.

Yes, you did blatantly insult me for no reason. all I've done is help this guy, and you flew off the handle about junk. You also suggested he talk to someone who isn't a competitive racer (not road racig nor autocrossing) just because you've talked to him and think he's smart. Wouldn't it make more sense to suggest someone who is competitive and has gone fast? What about when you said his car is buttloads faster than mine? That shows you obviously have no clue.
ok... so his car puts down more HP then yours does, we will go there. He does road race, he just isnt as **** about building a post count as you are. Im not on his jock so much as his car, that thing is an animal. For making it a point that he doesnt know as much as you, or have the experience, he seemed to make the same suggestions though huh. It might make more sense to talk to someone who is very competitive, i agree with that statement, but that doesnt mean that someone who does a lot of research isnt just as good a source for information.

Im gonna end this here though, i didnt want to get in an argument with you. This doesnt help the OP. The point is to help this guy, and for once, you didnt say search, you replied with an answer so in respect to that, i'll step out, i made my suggestion