Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Too much negative camber binding axle?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much negative camber binding axle?

Hey guys, I have JIC coilovers on my car. They have adjustable camber plates on them, and when I adjust them a bit past "0" degrees (about 1-1.25 degrees negative at the wheel) the front left axle (halfshaft) binds up in hard right-hand turns. is this a common/normal problem? nothing looks bent in the suspension, and when the camber is set at 0, it makes no noise at all. If anyone knows what might be causing this, or if there is a fix, please let me know. thanks a ton
Ryan
Old Aug 7, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Car is probably too low.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

are you sure its your axle binding up?? What kind of noise does it make?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nick735
are you sure its your axle binding up?? What kind of noise does it make?
+1 ... Wow, I've never heard of that .... You sure it isn't rubbing?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Im positive guys. The car isnt too low, I auto-x and track the car often, thus I know the basics of setting up a car, and too low = detremental to handling. its not rubbing, its the stock tire/wheels, and again, isnt that low. I actually figured it out today, but thanks for your imput guys
Ryan
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What was it?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
What was it?
Yeah, sounds like an interesting issue.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

lol don't leave us hanging here....
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

If your axles are binding up at 1-1.25 deg of negative camber, you have something wrong with your axles. The CV joints on the axles are designed for taking up to at least 15 degrees of misalignment.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
If your axles are binding up at 1-1.25 deg of negative camber, you have something wrong with your axles. The CV joints on the axles are designed for taking up to at least 15 degrees of misalignment.

its not a problem with the outer joint. if you had any sense, you would know that the outer joints on mitsus cant bind up from being compressed, they are stationary within the CV cup. the joint itself moves, but is contained in the cup, while the axle end is captured by a C clip. obvioulsy, if that were the case, there would have a problem with the outer joint while turning AT ALL TIMES as well.

the inner joint on the otherhand is different. it can take ~5 degrees of deflection from center, depending on how deep the inner joint is sitting inside the CV cup. responses like this one are why i truly hate being stumped, and have to resort to posting for suggestions on the internet. noone uses any common sense, and just make themselfs sound foolish. thanks for the imput mark, but either think a bit more about the problem and the information given, ask for more info, or refrain from upping your post count by wasting space.

BUT, it actually had very little to do with the negative camber setting, extra negative camber was throwing it over the top.

Ill fitting coilovers FTL, it was throwing the hub into a wacky alignment. But mind you, theyre not exactly designed for my particular Evo .

Last edited by RaNGVR-4; Aug 10, 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
its not a problem with the outer joint. if you had any sense, you would know that the outer joints on mitsus cant bind up from being compressed, they are stationary within the CV cup. the joint itself moves, but is contained in the cup, while the axle end is captured by a C clip. obvioulsy, if that were the case, there would have a problem with the outer joint while turning AT ALL TIMES as well.

the inner joint on the otherhand is different. it can take ~5 degrees of deflection from center, depending on how deep the inner joint is sitting inside the CV cup. responses like this one are why i truly hate being stumped, and have to resort to posting for suggestions on the internet. noone uses any common sense, and just make themselfs sound foolish. thanks for the imput mark, but either think a bit more about the problem and the information given, ask for more info, or refrain from upping your post count by wasting space.

BUT, it actually had very little to do with the negative camber setting, extra negative camber was throwing it over the top.

Ill fitting coilovers FTL, it was throwing the hub into a wacky alignment. But mind you, theyre not exactly designed for my particular Evo .

Well you have to admit that your first post can be easily interpreted as a newb post...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nick735
Well you have to admit that your first post can be easily interpreted as a newb post...

If I phrase it any other way, people are put-off by it, and dont even respond. Every thread I have started that I ask people to not post obvious solutions in, no posts are ever made. This website is literally the only one like that (that I am a part of). BUT, if I had already narrowed it down to the very strange problem at hand, one would expect readers to catch on that the OP knows a thing or two.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

So, i think am goin to raise car back up.