Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheels that create downforce!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels that create downforce!

So... When are we going to have some available? I just got my new R&T where they had the 0-200mph shootout. In this issue they have the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren where they talk about its wheels that have blade-shaped spokes that act as fans to extract air from under the car! So I ask, why aren't these being produced for the aftermarket yet? Volk or somebody needs to jump on this! And when they do they should just go ahead and send me a set for free for bringing this to their attention. A 5% commission would be cool too.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this some ghey stuff. IF i want wheel that act like a Downforce fan. I will get myself some spinners or better yet Hub cap spinners. lol
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, okay... What's there not to like about increased downforce? They made these for a f'in McLaren and you're calling it ghey...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:02 PM
Account Disabled

Cool
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

i havent seen thost but they could be similar to the old school BBS cooling fins that would mounts to the locknut to cool the front brakes
look at some 70s IMSA cars with disc looking rims
i really doubt there is a wheel that will make downforce
think of how fast it must spin to do so
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

The SLR isn't low enough for what little amount of air the wheels pull to create any sort of low pressure under the car.

All of those racing wheel covers were made to cool the brakes as they brought air IN to the wheel, and almost always used on only the fronts.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
The SLR isn't low enough for what little amount of air the wheels pull to create any sort of low pressure under the car.

All of those racing wheel covers were made to cool the brakes as they brought air IN to the wheel, and almost always used on only the fronts.
I think the TC was talking about the McLaren F1, not the SLR.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
I think the TC was talking about the McLaren F1, not the SLR.
Well he says in his original post that he was talking about the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren.

Also take what R&T say with a grain of salt. Same with C&D. A lot of the time they are just guessing or going by Manufacturers claims, And we all know that they are not always the truth.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

True, true. I'm just curious at what rpm it would take for these wheels to do what R&T claims they do. Seeing that the McLaren is a 200mph+ car, I'm sure it could be achieved, although the amount of downforce created by the suction would probably be minimal.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think this will really work the way it does on F1 cars. The speeds are simply too small
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:45 AM

I don't think the wheels on the F1 cars extract air from the underside considering it's an open wheel design. The air flow over those cars is tested beyond regular street car design and it shows. However on the SLR (closed wheel) at speeds of near 200mph, every little bit of low pressure under the car helps to keep it on the road.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:51 AM

My buddy had some oldschool Work wheels on his 240SX that were shaped almost like fan blades. They were designed to pull air inward to have a cooling affect on the brakes as well as direct air underneath the car.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:20 AM

Here is a quote from the R&T article:
"Again, Steve is right. Our data show that at 1 mile, the SLR is traveling at 181.2 mph. Over the next mile — in a performance much like the Lambo's — the car gains only 18.6 mph. What's more, Steve complains that "at around 185 mph, the SLR starts to wander a wee bit. It gets your attention. It feels like it's packing air under its nose."
He may be on to something. The Mercedes folks had fitted this SLR with 18-in. winter wheels thought to create less drag than the stock 19-in. ones, which have special blade-shape spokes that work as fans to extract air from under the car for added downforce. The 18s, they presumed, would have less drag because the car wouldn't be getting sucked closer to the ground. However, this means the nose of the car on 18s is likely higher, creating that feeling Steve noticed of air getting stuffed under the nose of the car."
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:34 AM

It doesn't seem like the "Mercedes folks" refferred to were not from the design department or they would have already known about the effect of non-stock 19 in wheels.

Why would R&T do a performance test on a vehicle with altered components? Especially winter wheels? Ugh....
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

i dont think we need it at 150.....

there are alot more aerodynamic issues we have other than rims.... like idk the whole car lol

the slr is very aerodynamic so the little things help....

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Wheels that create downforce!