Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question regarding tire/alignment..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding tire/alignment..

My car started pulling a little bit to the right about a year ago and I didn't know what it was, so I waited until I got my springs installed to get an alignment. After 3 alignments now, with the same tires, and I think one rotation, the damn thing still goes right at any speed. I rarely drove the car this past year so I didn't care much about it. But now since I am driving it more nowadays this crap is annoying and was wondering what you guys think it might be.
I ordered the cheap eibach camber kit for 25 bucks and was thinking about getting another alignment, but I am not sure if that would help me. So, I was thinking about purchasing new tires because I think it could be my front 2 tires. The last time I took my car into Mitsubishi they didnt rotate my damn tires and the service manager told me that my front 2 tires were wearing bad around the edges so it was useless to rotate them...
Anyway, if I do need new tires which tires would you guys recommend? I have never took my car to a track so I won't be racing or anything, and I mainly drive around the local city streets and highways around my area. I was looking into maybe some tires that have are known to have great quality and at the same time be very inexpensive. Perhaps, the conti extreme contacts or sumitumo htr+... Could somebody please reply and let me know what is wrong with my damn car, what I should do and what type of tires I should get if I need some. Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be your caster that is causing it to pull to the right. Regular alignment shops don't usually correct caster. As for tires, I just bought 255/40/17 Fuzions (Bridgestone helped make them) for 612.00 installed with lifetime everything and road hazard.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

wow that's an awesome price for lifetime alignment, rotation and etc. Hmmm, where could I go to get my caster checked? Also, so you don't think it could be the tires making it pull so badly?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I've noticed my car does the same thing. I had new tires (Kumho ASXs) put on and an alignment done afterwards. The car drove straight then when I rotated my tires it started pulling to the right. I'm thinking that the tires might be bad so I put them back the way they were originally and it still pulls to the right. It's not that bad, but it can be annoying at times. I've considered taking it back to the alignment shop to have them recheck the settings.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

O SHIET!! WE have the same tires! Maybe it could be the tires?? But you have brand new tires.. I've had mines since 1-1-2005 haha. I think mines just might be a bit old, but I never drove hard or every raced them at the track. I also put about 20k miles on them and these were supposedly good for up to at least 45k. 8-(
Old Aug 13, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

i may be wrong.. but with the aggressive alignment settings on the evo... if the road is slanted (which most are for drainage) you will feel a pull...

find an 'closed' road that you can see the rise in the center... drive down the center over the line the pull should fade... and then on the other side you should feel it pull to the left when you cross over...

This is the case with mine.. I took it in and got an alignment.. watched them do it.. and it was damn near perfect compared to specs.. i still felt the pull.. brought it back and still on the money.. so i took it somewhere else to double check.. and still dead on..

I hope i'm not wrong because then that means something else is wrong... and i don't feel like dealing with that right now..
Old Aug 13, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

um, as soon as i let go of the steering wheel driving out of the driveway to any road in the whole city at any speed, it'll start to pull right immediately I let go....
Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fareastkorean
O SHIET!! WE have the same tires! Maybe it could be the tires?? But you have brand new tires.. I've had mines since 1-1-2005 haha. I think mines just might be a bit old, but I never drove hard or every raced them at the track. I also put about 20k miles on them and these were supposedly good for up to at least 45k. 8-(
Make that three of us! I have the same problem and have over 40k miles on these tires. I got an alignment about 5 months ago and it still pulls. The tires are due to be replaced at this point but the pulling started when the tires were in good shape (I had springs installed) but had a little bit of inner ware. I tried all of the "swapping" of all sides and fronts to backs etc. Still have the problem. I will admit I need new tires now and a new alignment to verify the possibility my current alignment is "off".
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I know that I need another alignment, but even with 3 good alignments my darn car kept pulling. So what I'm getting to think is that this might be a common problem for these tires? I was thinking about going with some cheap Fuzion HRI's because my friend has had them on his car for about a year now without even any tread wear and his car doesn't pull at all. If not, maybe some sumitomo's or conti extreme contact all seasons. I'm glad I made this post now because there are other people out there that kind of have the same problem. I hate the damn car pulling to the right all the time and since you guys who mentioned that you have the same problem with these tires, I might just go ahead and purchase some tires really soon.

By the way, does your car start pulling right immediately when you let go of the steering wheel? Not like a slight slow pull, but a fast, strong, and immediate right turn pull.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Forgot to mention; my car pulls to the LEFT. Still odd.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'm assuming we are mainly having tire problems, but was wondering do any of you who have this problem have your car lowered as well? I have my car lowered, but I had this problem even before I got my damn springs installed. Since, I believe I need new tires I've narrowed it down to 4 all seasons I might get soon and they are:

Falken ZE912
Cooper Zeon Sport A/S
Avon Tech M550 A/s
Continental Extreme Contact

I know many have used the conti's on the evo and have had a good experience, but has anybody here tried the other 3 and would recommend them? I am thinking about purchasing some asap, as in maybe later today so please let me know. Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by poncho
i may be wrong.. but with the aggressive alignment settings on the evo... if the road is slanted (which most are for drainage) you will feel a pull...

find an 'closed' road that you can see the rise in the center... drive down the center over the line the pull should fade... and then on the other side you should feel it pull to the left when you cross over...

This is the case with mine.. I took it in and got an alignment.. watched them do it.. and it was damn near perfect compared to specs.. i still felt the pull.. brought it back and still on the money.. so i took it somewhere else to double check.. and still dead on..

I hope i'm not wrong because then that means something else is wrong... and i don't feel like dealing with that right now..
It doesn't sound like this is what they are describing. My Evo does it as well, but I would refer to that more as... "drifting" to the right. It has to be a seriously humped road and/or have heavy truck traffic to make the car "pull" to either side.

For all the people talking about the car pulling, are we talking "if I let go of the wheel it will start creeping towards the edge line", or "if I let go of the wheel I'll be in the ditch in 50 feet"?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

if I let go I'll be in a ditch 8-x... It pulls to the right hard whenever I let go. Anyway, I might have to choose different tires now because I am thinking about going with a bigger tire size. Either 255/40 or 245/40 for my new all seasons. Which ones would you guys go with?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

My Kuhmo's are about 40k on them and they were put on the car with H&R springs for about 20k miles w/ an alignment. I rotated them religiously but still had inner tire wear. I blew a shock about 3 months ago so I am currently running Swifts (which are hands down the best Spring!!).
After these were installed I got another alignment where they dialed in stock setings with a little bit of toe. Ever since the car pulls to the left. Not harshly but would end up hitting oncoming traffic or barrier if I don't stay on it (and yes I swapped all sides front to back, side to side) to no avail. It still pulls to the left
My question is: Obviously I am due for new tires but after reading all the above posts is this really the cause since we are all refering to the same brand tire?

Also I am shopping for new Perfomance all-seasons, no one seems to have any input on the new Goodyear Eagle F1's all-season. It was just released about a month ago but does anyone have any Input or thoughts?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
caster angle is not adjustable and toe will not cause a pull. most likely its front camber happen to have a printout from your alighnment? also look at brakes to make sure non eof them are dragging.

Quick Reply: Question regarding tire/alignment..