Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

alignment spec suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alignment spec suggestions

Looking for alignment spec suggestions. Will be bringing it in for a custom alignment next week after putting in coilovers. Particularly looking on camber degree suggestions as toe will probably be set to 0.

Currently running BC Racing Coilovers (inverted) with 10k/8k spring rates.
Don't know exact riding height but did drop additional 3/4" from what they were preset at upon installation.

I'm looking for an alignment that will be a little aggressive but not kill the tire wear. Evo is a weekend track car but still daily driveable.

Leaning toward a -3 degree in the front, -2 degree in the back or -2.5 front/-1.5 back. Thoughts?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

-2.5fr./-1.5 back
that's the allignment i've been using all summer on my car for track days and seems to be a good compromise 'cause i drive my car to the track
Old Aug 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

If it's you DD, I wouldnt go past -2 in the front and -1 or -1.5 in the rear.
0 toe in the front and a bit of toe-in in the rear will give you a bit more stable ride.

BTW, make sure you check your tire wear frequently and rotate your tires every 5k miles.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^+1

I'm running -1.9f/-1.4 rear w/zero toe all the way around. The front eccentric camber bolts are nice if someone doesn't have coilovers. You should have a wide range of selection your setup but if it's your DD I'd keep it a little less-extreme.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have -3 degrees camber up front and -1.7 in the back, the car is amazing in the turns. do 0 toe if you can.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I definitely wouldn't do anywhere near -3.0F if you are concerned about tire wear and it being a daily driver. -2.0R camber is way too much, too. -2.5F/-1.5R at the MOST, but remember that camber is only one piece of the equation. The first part you got wrong was your spring rates, which are backwards, so you'll need to find out how to manipulate other parts of the suspension to make up for that.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Coud you explain how his spring rates are backwards? 10K/8K sound right to me....anyway, I am running 9K/8K with rear sway bar and I am doing fine at Nurburgring.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

For a DD, I'd take Warrtalon's advice (from previous threads about the subject), and do camber -2.0/-0.5 (F/R), and toe 0/0. (I am running -2.0/-0.7, and find it to be very nice .)

Perhaps you could tell us about the rest of your suspension modifications to help put this into perspective?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jkim2001
Coud you explain how his spring rates are backwards? 10K/8K sound right to me....anyway, I am running 9K/8K with rear sway bar and I am doing fine at Nurburgring.
The stock ratio has more in the rear, and it's best to maintain that ratio. More spring rate in the front is backwards.

Doing "fine" at the Ring doesn't mean it's right. I did quite well on my stock suspension for over a year of tracking and autocrossing, but then I went with a race suspension (12k/16k), and it was night and day.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
And the front of the car is still heavier. Traditional susp. set ups will favor the front. Even if the Evo came favoring the rear changing to a front bias could get the job done.

I have the 12k/10k track verisons, -2.5/-1.5. The "trick" I have found to get the car to rotate is favoring the rear damper adjustment to near full stiff and have the front damper to about 3/4 stiff. And also running 36psi front tire pressure and 40psi rear (cold temps).

EDIT: Sounds like you lowered your car about as much (or should I say little as I did). I leveled the car so measuring from just infront of the rear tire and just behind the front tire on the side rails they are equal (aka no rake).

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSC00866.jpg

In the end, its in the hands of the owner to learn how to drive the car around the track.

Last edited by Smike; Aug 19, 2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
Perhaps you could tell us about the rest of your suspension modifications to help put this into perspective?
Cusco Rear Strut Bar
Cusco V2 Lower Arms
Kumho MX (235/40/18)

Yes, I'd like to add a Hotchkis rear sway and go wider tires (235 were as wide as I could go without rubbing on my lowering springs).

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Perhaps I should have clarified a little more. I said daily driveable...meaning I still drive it on the street...but it's not my DD.

Basically I enjoy weekend track days during the season but unfortunately I couldn't do the track junkie route..yet. I'd like a balance, I'm looking for something a little aggressive so I can get optimum traction without changing tires every 5k miles.

I've done track days before on my lowering springs and was surprised that they held as well as they did. I imagine it'll be night and day with coilovers and playing around with the right settings, so I can't wait to to get out there and do some test'n'tune.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
f: camber = -2.7 / toe = 1/8 out
r: camber - -1.4 / toe = 1/16 out

I have tried a lot of settings, so far this is my fastest (and no doubt wears the tire down most).

Erred in fractions

Last edited by 4cdndctn; Aug 20, 2007 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Made an error
Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Most important thing to do would be to get the car corner weighted. It's not going to help much listening to everybody's opinion on here as everybody has different driving styles. With that said, for a DD/weekend track car, I'd stay away from 0 toe all around. Put it to 0 in the front, but give it maybe a 16th of a degree toe in in the rear. I've driven cars with 0 all around, and while it's very nice in most situations, it makes things a little bit more unstable than I would like in an AutoX slalom. Don't do toe out unless you want to kick the rear out super easily. Again, get corner weighted above all else. Then worry about the alignment.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

4cdndctn, that is HUGE toe out. I would NOT recommend that to this guy.

XK120, slight toe out has never caused my rear to kick. 0 toe all around works great and does not make the car unstable in any racing situation. I spent a whole year with 0 toe all around.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
4cdndctn, that is HUGE toe out. I would NOT recommend that to this guy.

XK120, slight toe out has never caused my rear to kick. 0 toe all around works great and does not make the car unstable in any racing situation. I spent a whole year with 0 toe all around.
Ya maybe I should have clarified, when I said toe out, I meant something drastic like what 4cdndctn posted.

Quick Reply: alignment spec suggestions