Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Looking into Greddy Type S Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking into Greddy Type S Coilovers

I am looking for a set of coilovers for my 06 SE. I just put on a set of Espelir GT springs which look good but definitely dont do the job.

From my research and experience: Tein coilovers are always too rough for my taste even though they are good quality for an affordable price, KW V3 and HKS Hypermax are nice coilovers but a little over my budget. I have looked at all the ones which led me to consider getting the Greddy Type S coilovers. These are fairly priced at a little over $1200:

http://hopupracing.com/grtysukitmil.html

It looks like they are a nice set, and Greddy quality is always good from my experience.

I have searched on Evom and there is NO info on these coilovers. Anyone have these or have any info on them?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:13 AM

I have these on my 05 evo 8 and think they are money well spent.
Height is adjustable seperatley to spring rebound/rate 32 levels of dampening via top dials. Much better than stock setup. 8kg front 6kg rear with camber adjustment too.

Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder who makes these for Greddy.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:13 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

The same manufacturer that makes the apexi's, megan, helix, balhblahblahbalhb
Old Aug 31, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I have these coilovers on my 04 Evo VIII MR, and they are fantastic!

I track the car about 10 times a year too and they have held up perfectly.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for more info on these coilovers please!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AFAIK these are made by BC racing, same as Megan, Helix, and Apexi EXV. Save yourself the $400 and get one of those for or Stance for that price. Pay attention to spring rates and valving over brand names.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

How do the STANCE compare to these coilovers?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't speak from personal driving experience on an Evo, but I would be more inclined to buy the Stance over the Greddy.

Stance are made in Japan. BC/Greddy made in Taiwan. I don't remember the spring rates on the Greddy coilovers and don't want to bother looking them up right now, but I like the rates on Stance at least for street starting point. Many of my old 240sx friends have run Megan/BC and Stance including the Stance remote reservoir units. Where are the Greddy remote reservoir units? They don't exist.

I like Greddy in general as a company, their products are a pretty good value for a Japanese company and have I bought a lot of their products in the past, but ultimately they outsource a lot of manufacturing to other companies and just remarket it as their own. Example: The older warning meters were made by Omori in the past, the SM Integrate gauges probably made by Defi/Nippon Seiki now, GREX brakes are likely made by someone else, and AFAIK these coilovers are BC Racing. Not that there is anything really wrong with this, but cut out the middle man and you have the same thing or better for less money in Greddy's pocket and more in yours.

They way I look at it is:
Megan/BC $800. Greddy $1200-1300. That's 62% more money for similar or identical product. Even if the Greddy were somehow better, unless there's a 62% quantifiable performance improvement in Greddy over Megan/BC (very unlikely. 62% markup for Greddy remarketing and profit, highly likely) I am not paying it. Stance $1200-1400 with generally good reviews, better than Megan/BC.