Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Omg Another Coilover Opinions Thread~!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omg Another Coilover Opinions Thread~!!!!

been doing alot of research. So ill make this simple

street car, work and back (40miles a day)

autoX SM class 2x a month.

heres what ive been considering (if you have better options please share)
listed by price
ohlins sportlines 2800~
KW variant 3 + camberplates 2500~
Pss9 + camber plates 2200~
PIC tso's 1550~

Im trying to justify spending this much money when i race so little, and i only heard about the PIC coils last night. I would love to hear more about them if someone has experience. (being almost half as much as the ohlins)

anyways, thanks all

Last edited by DontRevMe; Sep 7, 2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

My 2 cents:

Given that you are not going *****-out into competing, and that your car is more a daily driver than a hardcore competition car, and based on the assumption that you are looking for a balance between good performance and value for money, I would recommend that you go with the PIC TSOs and get Robi to set them up for you.

On the other hand, if money was less of an object, and you think that you may end up being more competitive after a couple of round of autocross or may go into road racing or track, then you may want to invest in a set of KW Variant 3 Clubsports or the Ohlins Sportline, and get them properly set up.

I have not had much feedback on the PSS9, other than that they not are geared for performance applications, and no one I know is using them for track/autocross, and I may stand corrected on that. That said, I have heard that they are pretty good for street, i.e good compromise between comfort and performance

I have not tried the PSS9 myself, so the above is based on popular hearsay
Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Another thing to consider.... how good are you at adjusting suspension? Rather, do you know what to adjust and how they affect the car? There's absolutely no reason to get a 4-way adjustable damper if you have no clue what any of it does; it's far easier to make a car handle worse when you have that much adjustment and no knowledge of how to use it.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Ohlins are a great option and very simple to set up since they are a single adjustable. Ride quality is very good for a coilover yet they are aggressive enough to be competitive. The KW V3's are very similar in terms of comfort and build quality but they add the element of separate damping and rebound adjustability, which can be an advantage IF you set them up properly. We have also been doing a lot of KWs with custom spring rates so that makes it easier to tailor the setup to suit your needs.

-Dan
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not another one of these threads ...
Actually with the cost of things and motorsports in general nowadays. I consider doing auto-x twice a month pretty hard core, but thats just my opinion. Having driven PSS-9s, KW V3 and Ohlins. I would have to stay go with either Ohlins Sportlines or KW V3 but I prefer Ohlins for several reasons. Either will give you great street ride and great preformance. The PSS-9s IMHO are are a little too soft to be competetive but the street ride is comparable to the KW V3 or Ohlins (may feel slightly softer) ... alot depends on the spring rates you get with the coilovers.

Contact GTWorx and they can tailor you a set that can meet your expectations.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well, i dont see any other way to properly tune a suspension other than trial and error lap after lap comparing times. So i realy dont know if thats something i can solidly answer. Lets try THIS. My evo is the ONLY one ive driven/ridden in, so i have nothing to go off of. In each case, what would i NOTICE drive/track wise with each of these coilovers vs the gf210/stock KYB's..

i do appreciate the feedback everyone!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

IMO, the Cusco zero 2E should be a option. I have them and the ride quailty is amazing and they are on a performance shops track car. I think they are the best of both worlds. PM me if want to know more about them or want me to set you up with a good deal.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(im)patiently waiting on KW V3's right now, with Tein front and rear pillowball mounts..
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

I'm running DMS 40mm right now with adjustable front camber plates and pillowball rear mounts. I love the ride these coilovers offer for daily use and track use. Only downside was the coilovers were a bit pricey, but in my opinion, well worth the money.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

PIC's are set up when you get them. No need to have Robi do anything to them.

Originally Posted by ghoonk
My 2 cents:

Given that you are not going *****-out into competing, and that your car is more a daily driver than a hardcore competition car, and based on the assumption that you are looking for a balance between good performance and value for money, I would recommend that you go with the PIC TSOs and get Robi to set them up for you.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We have complete, auto-x and track tested "turn key" set-ups based on both KW Variant 3's and Ohlins DFV Sportlines. Designed for you to win, and with the nice by product of having pretty good ride quality too.

Complete with damper, ride height, spring rate, tire pressures, alignment, etc. settings and changes. If you want to be competitve in auto-x, i'd recommend the Dave Mac EVO KW V3 auto-x destroyer lunch special.

As for what this will do compared to your KYB/GF210 set-up....well....imagine driving your car into a garage, and driving out a completely different car that only kinda looks the same as your old car. No more body roll, balance of the car is completely changed, you can easily control how the car is poised throughout the turn, overall grip is dramatically increased. Put simply, even though it's easy to control and you ca make it do what you want, you will have to catch up to the car's abilities and new found overall grip.

- Andrew
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
We have complete, auto-x and track tested "turn key" set-ups based on both KW Variant 3's and Ohlins DFV Sportlines. Designed for you to win, and with the nice by product of having pretty good ride quality too.

Complete with damper, ride height, spring rate, tire pressures, alignment, etc. settings and changes. If you want to be competitve in auto-x, i'd recommend the Dave Mac EVO KW V3 auto-x destroyer lunch special.

As for what this will do compared to your KYB/GF210 set-up....well....imagine driving your car into a garage, and driving out a completely different car that only kinda looks the same as your old car. No more body roll, balance of the car is completely changed, you can easily control how the car is poised throughout the turn, overall grip is dramatically increased. Put simply, even though it's easy to control and you ca make it do what you want, you will have to catch up to the car's abilities and new found overall grip.

- Andrew
you have pm's sir
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

purchased
Old Sep 11, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What did you go with?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
What did you go with?
kw v3 dave mac special

Quick Reply: Omg Another Coilover Opinions Thread~!!!!