Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Group N (smaller) brake setup

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011 | 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
This looks like a great option. Has anyone found a good rally racing brake caliper setup that still works well on tarmac?
Old Jul 2, 2011 | 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyBud
This looks like a great option. Has anyone found a good rally racing brake caliper setup that still works well on tarmac?
There are some different price points to consider, but those brakes are probably the cheapest option. The RS comes with downsized brakes because they expect that if built for racing the brakes will be replaced. IMO the RS stuff is kinda just put on there so the car has something, but they're not intended for racing. IIRC, someone told me a while back that the brakes from a Diamante are the same thing...I've never looked into it though.

The problem with rally brake setups in general is they're designed for fitting under 15" wheels, so the rotors are smaller (read: less thermal capacity).

AMS Performance makes a rally brake kit which I've been using on my car for 4 seasons. They're based on Willwood Superlight calipers and allow the use of 15" wheels. I've never encountered fade at the hillclimbs or rally sprints I've done with my car, but do swap back to the OEM brakes for tarmac hillclimbs.

There are other options for Alcon or AP that top flight rally teams use, but be prepared to drop $4-6k for front brakes alone. I didn't have the budget for these so I've never really looked into these options. Cascade Autosport, a rally prep shop in Washington might be a good place to inquire as they've built some very high dollar Evo rally cars.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Old Jul 2, 2011 | 05:52 PM

Identical to the Diamante/3G Eclipse brakes and I got the whole set-up brand new from autozone for less than $200.
Old Jul 2, 2011 | 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
There are some different price points to consider, but those brakes are probably the cheapest option. The RS comes with downsized brakes because they expect that if built for racing the brakes will be replaced. IMO the RS stuff is kinda just put on there so the car has something, but they're not intended for racing. IIRC, someone told me a while back that the brakes from a Diamante are the same thing...I've never looked into it though.

The problem with rally brake setups in general is they're designed for fitting under 15" wheels, so the rotors are smaller (read: less thermal capacity).

AMS Performance makes a rally brake kit which I've been using on my car for 4 seasons. They're based on Willwood Superlight calipers and allow the use of 15" wheels. I've never encountered fade at the hillclimbs or rally sprints I've done with my car, but do swap back to the OEM brakes for tarmac hillclimbs.

There are other options for Alcon or AP that top flight rally teams use, but be prepared to drop $4-6k for front brakes alone. I didn't have the budget for these so I've never really looked into these options. Cascade Autosport, a rally prep shop in Washington might be a good place to inquire as they've built some very high dollar Evo rally cars.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Great information Dave! I too am on a budget. I get back from a long deployment next year (third one in the past two years) and want to maximize my mod funds towards most bang for the buck.

Originally Posted by unitedterra
Identical to the Diamante/3G Eclipse brakes and I got the whole set-up brand new from autozone for less than $200.
That may be a game changer for a future setup. This with a brake balance bar sounds like a good option. With rally as long as I have good rotation for turning I will settle for ok straight line braking. Good compromise? Thanks for walking me through the build process Andy!

Rick
Old Jul 2, 2011 | 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyBud
That may be a game changer for a future setup. This with a brake balance bar sounds like a good option. With rally as long as I have good rotation for turning I will settle for ok straight line braking. Good compromise? Thanks for walking me through the build process Andy!

Rick
Only problem with the RS/Diamante setup is that they're single piston calipers (or maybe double...but both on one side for sure). IDK what the limit for these will be and the other thing to consider is the effect those will have on overall brake bias. For a car that's going to rally-x I see no problem with the RS/Diamante setup, but I suspect if you're a LFB'er, you'll quickly find the limit out on a rally stage.

Brake balance bar is good...but how are you going to fit that in the system? You mentioned going with an ABS delete kit which is good, but that means you're retaining the stock pedal assembly and RS plumbing. In order to fit the balance bar you'll need to fit an aftermarket pedal box with dual reserviors. The other alternative is to fit a valve in the lines that goes to the rear brakes, but the only adjustment you've got is to decrease rear line pressure, and I don't know if that'll give you the adjustments you need.

Dave