Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

whats the max neg camber on a evo for street?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the max neg camber on a evo for street?

hey guys, how much neg camber do you recomend to street evos before uneven tyre wear starts to happen?

long time reader first time poster good to see such a big community.

Thanks guys
Old Sep 16, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

it depends how you drive.... if you are very hard on tires by turning a lot then more camber (-2 to -3) will SAVE you tires. If you do mostly highway and are easy on your car then you want less then that..

so to conclude, what works for one person will not work for another and thus there is no single correct answer.

put another way... if you're one of these people getting over 10,000 miles from your stock advans then you don't want much camber... if you tires were dead at 6-8K then you want -2 or maybe even more.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:43 PM

^absolutely right. I think -3 might be on the extreme side, but I run -2.5 front -1 rear. Tire wear up front sucks because I have to do so many highway miles. The wear I experience is only on the inner tread block. I mean only. It's all worth it in the corners though. 8k miles for the advans. If you can get a tire company to do rotations off the rim, you can extend that.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 04:12 PM

thanks guys thats what i needed to know, don't you wish there were such things as in cabin adjustable wheel alignment systems?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by garryfieldevo
hey guys, how much neg camber do you recomend to street evos before uneven tyre wear starts to happen?

long time reader first time poster good to see such a big community.

Thanks guys
How much camber is necessary depends on two things:
1. The type of tire you are running. Some tires prefer more, some work better with less.
2. What the car will be used for. Negative camber generally will improve grip during cornering. A STREET car won't/shouldn't be taking corners in such a way that it will see the benefit of increased negative camber. A street car CAN and WILL benefit from as much contact patch as possible in a straight line, eg. no camber at all, for braking and acceleration purposes.

Secondly, camber is not what wears the tires. This is so basic, I'm not sure why this topic is in the advanced section. Toe is what wears the tires, not camber. Get your car aligned and set toe at each corner to zero, and your tires will wear normally.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:45 PM

The innermost tread blocks on my front tires wear a whole lot faster than the ones on the rear. I have zero toe all around. -2.5f/-1.2r. The outer treadblocks wear much slower.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 07:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Noob4life is right.....toe kills tires, not camber. Camber decides more where on the tire the wear occurs. But excessive toe is gonna eat them up.

Of course, a ton of camber will wear the insides faster, so the key is to find the sweet spot for your set-up and driving style. Sometimes more camber will help the tire wear more evenly.

How much camber is also dependent on how stiff your suspension is, in addition to what he listed.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Sep 18, 2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Gotta disagree here. Too much camber definitely kills the inside of the front tires. Toe just does it faster.

I've been running lots of camber on my street cars for years, and have found that anything over 2.0 deg. of negative camber will start to wear that inside tread block noticeably faster. I run 2.5 on my street cars that get tracked occasionally.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Right, past a certain point, too much camber will definitely accelerate wear on the inside of the tire. Still, too little camber will accelerate wear on the outside of the tire, so you have to find the creamy middle.

- Andrew