Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

weird problem with breaks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird problem with breaks

ok so long story short i had my evo at school and it got vandalized so i took it home and had to bring my 1987 firebird formula up here. so the brake problem is associated with the formula not the evo. but there are a lot of really knowledgable people on here and thought maybe someone could shed some light. here is the post from the 3rdgen.org forums. again sorry if this is not really an evo specific question. thanks again for any help!!!
Ethan

" ok so the car is an 87 formula, 305 M5 if that matters.

The original problem was that when using the brakes the car pulls pretty hard the the left. and when coming to a stop light and then letting off the brakes when stopped you can feel the left caliper still sort of clamping down on the rotor for a few seconds.
so about 5 days ago i put brand new well remanufactured calipers and a new set of brake pads on the front, i was able to bleed the right one but i could not get the bleeder valve open for the left caliper. so i put the wheels back on and took it for a little spin. seems to do the same thing and the pedal is now a little spongy, most likley from the lack of bleeding on the left side. either way i have to get back to school so i drive down to school seems to be ok.
today i am driving and the car is pulling pretty hard to the right when not braking then hard to the left when braking. it seems that the right caliper is now sitcking. and eventually it starts to smoke here and there and REAKS like brakes.
so any seggestions as to what i should look at first. or what could cause this problem?
any advise is greatly appreciated and if u need more information about the problem just ask. i am trying not to make this post too long but also not wanting to be to vague. "

Ethan
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a frozen caliper...u can try taking a part ur brakes and c if u can squeeze the pistons back in...and if u cant then that caliper is frozen and u need a new caliper
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

frozen caliper for sure. This usually happens when the slides get stuck, but if you replaced the whole assembly, then try re-bleeding the whole system. If you cant crack the bleeder loose, Use heat to around the bleeder then try to crack it. be careful not to burn any rubber components and wear safety glasses.