Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

PERRIN EVO Positive Steering Response System......

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 09:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Quality spherical bearings aren't cheap. These are more then just rubber bushings.

- Andrew
Old Oct 4, 2007, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
Well that's not the problem I see. The geometry change is the big no-no in my mind.

d
Ya, that was my thought also. What sucks is to fit all the rules for the different types of racing, we would have to make 3 versions. So at this point, we might be thinking about ditching the offset part for a zero offset part. This would allow some autocross guys, and some street guys to be happy. Or maybe we make both!! Well, i guess we have some thinking to do in the next few days.

Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
$229 for 2 offset bushings with metal inserts wow....I guess some evo guys have money to burn....
If we thought people had money to burn they would be a lot more. But GTworx is correct, machined housings, special Teflon lined Spherical bearings, and SS hardware. For what it is, we feel it is pretty fair. But as they get more popular you will see prices drop a bit.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
Well that's not the problem I see. The geometry change is the big no-no in my mind.

d
the change in geometry should be ok as long as you maintain the same ratio of metel & non-metel material in the replacement. that's the hard part.

This product unlike the subi ALK kit doesn't change the suspension mount to achieve the geometry change. The problem with the subi ALK kit (as I remember it) was that the change in suspension geometry was achieved by changing the stock suspension mount, illegal in ST, SP and SM as a result.

I don't see any changes in the mount on the EVO kit, only the bushing.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff
If we thought people had money to burn they would be a lot more. But GTworx is correct, machined housings, special Teflon lined Spherical bearings, and SS hardware. For what it is, we feel it is pretty fair. But as they get more popular you will see prices drop a bit.
how durable is this product? My biggest concern with buying this kit is the longevity of the spherical bearing. I have run many different camber plates and strut tops on my daily driven cars, and I also live on some fairly rough roads. With my ground control camber plates I was getting maybe 30k miles before I needed to replace the bearings.

How many miles do you expect these bearings to last with proper care and maintinance?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
You know, you're right

From Street Mod Rules:

I think this product should be good to go for SM/SM2.

If Perrin made a version of this without extra metal in the bushing, it would be good to go for SP, as I interpret the rules:

From the Street Prepared Rules:
(emphasis added by me)

that is correct sir...

the big question is, can we stop raising the inside rear with this geometry change.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw
the change in geometry should be ok as long as you maintain the same ratio of metel & non-metel material in the replacement. that's the hard part.

This product unlike the subi ALK kit doesn't change the suspension mount to achieve the geometry change. The problem with the subi ALK kit (as I remember it) was that the change in suspension geometry was achieved by changing the stock suspension mount, illegal in ST, SP and SM as a result.
Exactly....the ALK for Subaru changes the mounting point of the rear of the front control arm and that's why they are illegal. The changing of the mounting point isn't the part that added caster either, that just affected anti-lift/dive. The part that adds caster is the offset bushing itself within the housing of the ALK. Whiteline actually makes the offset bushing available seperately that adds caster and is auto-x legal.

Okay, Subaru time over....

So anyway, Perrin shouldn't need to make a version that is zero offset, as that's not the issue.

A version that simply used a standard poly or rubber bushing instead of the spherical bearing would make a lot of people happy. It would also alleviate the concerns of anyone turned off by the possible NVH or longevity issues with the spherical bearing.

So I vote for a poly or rubber bushing version with the same offset of the spherical bearing one.

- Andrew
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/\ DITTO! I had a 240 with all the rear arms with spherical bushings, and they start to creak and moan after time.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Would these help keep the steering wheel steady while driving? Since puting on 18's My steering wheel sometimes goes back and forth a little while driving on bumpy roads. What do you think?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely something we plan to try out on the the totally revamped Project Evo
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I may move myself into SM and see if I can get away with the offset version.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 01:23 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
/\ DITTO! I had a 240 with all the rear arms with spherical bushings, and they start to creak and moan after time.
The pillowball top mounts on most coilovers do this as well... they clunk after a while from the bearing wearing out.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan628
Would these help keep the steering wheel steady while driving? Since puting on 18's My steering wheel sometimes goes back and forth a little while driving on bumpy roads. What do you think?
this might, along with the whiteline roll center kit.

before dumping more money, you should check to make sure that you are not running your car too low. If it's slammed, then chances are that raising the ride height (affects the roll center) and a proper alignment will solve the problem as well.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZK
The pillowball top mounts on most coilovers do this as well... they clunk after a while from the bearing wearing out.
Part of that is due to the fact that spherical bearings are not intended to be side loaded as they are in a tophat. This is much harder on them as they can take a higher strees load if standing upright like this perrin unit. You will notice on many race cars, they use eye mount shocks which turn the monoball on its side

Another problem is if they get dirty(inside) or are poorly machined as with some cheap ebay parts
Old Oct 4, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
Part of that is due to the fact that spherical bearings are not intended to be side loaded as they are in a tophat. This is much harder on them as they can take a higher strees load if standing upright like this perrin unit. You will notice on many race cars, they use eye mount shocks which turn the monoball on its side

Another problem is if they get dirty(inside) or are poorly machined as with some cheap ebay parts

With the perrin units I am most concerned about dirt, not any overly aggressive side loads that I encountered with my ground control camber plates.

it would be nice to see a cute little rubber bootie covering that exposed bearing
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't see any changes in the mount on the EVO kit, only the bushing.
Well.......Ya it does, or at least that is the initial design. The Suby part changes the mounting point of the control arm to add caster, and so does our EVO PSRS. But if we do go with a zero offset part, then you are correct. Whats it tuff is trying to make everyone happy, and it looks like we might need both. Hmmmmmmm...

how durable is this product? My biggest concern with buying this kit is the longevity of the spherical bearing. I have run many different camber plates and strut tops on my daily driven cars, and I also live on some fairly rough roads. With my ground control camber plates I was getting maybe 30k miles before I needed to replace the bearings.

How many miles do you expect these bearings to last with proper care and maintinance?
Proper care is not doing anything to them unless you live in a salty area. A little bit of thick grease will help keep the corrosion out. BUt other than that, normal areas should get at least a few years. If they do go bad, then you can just pop in a new bearing.

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Exactly....the ALK for Subaru changes the mounting point of the rear of the front control arm and that's why they are illegal. The changing of the mounting point isn't the part that added caster either, that just affected anti-lift/dive. The part that adds caster is the offset bushing itself within the housing of the ALK. Whiteline actually makes the offset bushing available seperately that adds caster and is auto-x legal.

Okay, Subaru time over....

So anyway, Perrin shouldn't need to make a version that is zero offset, as that's not the issue.

A version that simply used a standard poly or rubber bushing instead of the spherical bearing would make a lot of people happy. It would also alleviate the concerns of anyone turned off by the possible NVH or longevity issues with the spherical bearing.

So I vote for a poly or rubber bushing version with the same offset of the spherical bearing one.

- Andrew
Actually the Suby ALK or PSRS gets caster by changing the mount. The mount is pushed toward the outside of the car, which pushes the wheel forward, and changes the caster angle. This same thing is what we have done on the EVO PSRS. The Suby part is also dropped down a little for the antilift stuff. Again same on the EVO part.

But i think you are bringing up the point that we are not changing the control arm mounting point(in the suby we are because it mounts differently). Just the control arm position. Because of this, it might be ok for some classes.

Originally Posted by nightwalker
The bearings we use are teflon lined and pressed a little tighter than normal. This makes them last a long long time, but with ZERO creaking. the only thing that can happen with this bearing is become loose. But not loose enough to loose control, just maybe make a click here and there. WE have had 2 years of great sucess with this part on Legacy GT's (same mount position and bearing) with no issues.

Originally Posted by dan628
Yes, they do help. Your wider tires grab the ruts in the road, and when that rear bushing flexs a bit, it throws the alignment off, and cause it to grab the ruts in a differet directing. After installation, you will notice alot less of this.

Originally Posted by ZK
Originally Posted by CharlesJ

With the perrin units I am most concerned about dirt, not any overly aggressive side loads that I encountered with my ground control camber plates.

it would be nice to see a cute little rubber bootie covering that exposed bearing
This wouldn't be bad, but we used these a long time ago, and they don't really seem to hold up very well. They tend to crack and fall apart in areas where there is salt on the roads.

Quick Reply: PERRIN EVO Positive Steering Response System......