Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel vibration nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel vibration nightmare

I can't believe, I installed new pads last week, made the bed-in procedure written at stoptech, today my car did 200miles with problems free until a SOB truck almost hit me and I had to brake very very hard. The next brake, the steering wheel started to shake, OH NO!!!
Pads installed: Endless SSM
Impressions: SUper smooth, NO noise, weak initial bite, superb modulation, strong when warmed(almost lock the tires).

Don't tell me that I need to resurface the discs again

Is there something that I can do to remove the uneven pad tranfer?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usually that means that if u step on the brakes and the steering wheel shakes,,, its the rotors being warped and u got to watch the rotor thickness cause u can end up cutting the rotors to much, and thats what might have happened to u.
my recommendation,,, start off fresh with new rotors,, pads,, cause u can change the rotors and keep them same pads can have the grooves from the old rotor and mess them up.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by -Land\EVO/-
usually that means that if u step on the brakes and the steering wheel shakes,,, its the rotors being warped and u got to watch the rotor thickness cause u can end up cutting the rotors to much, and thats what might have happened to u.
my recommendation,,, start off fresh with new rotors,, pads,, cause u can change the rotors and keep them same pads can have the grooves from the old rotor and mess them up.
+1
Old Sep 30, 2007, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -Land\EVO/-

It almost never means that your rotors are warped. The hard braking may have caused some uneven pad deposits on the rotors. Before you start spending money replacing everything try re-bedding the pads and see if that helps. When you had to slam on the brakes, did you come to a complete stop? If so, that could definitely explain the problem.

-Paul
Old Sep 30, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

don't resurface a race car's rotors. Upgrade your rotors, period.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whoang40
To a certain point, I'd rather have rotors that have been heat-cycled already, and cut them smooth with a brake lathe than to just always put new rotors on and toss them after one set of pads.

As long as the rotors have meat on them and they are NOT warped, they can be cut and re-used.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whoang40
We dont drive race cars.

Granted, I would upgrade rotors as well. I have the first set of stoptech two piece non slotted/drilled rotors and am lovin them. they will be great for when i do auto-x or have a track day, but the car is still a street car, no matter how much I "race" it.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

My rotors are Endless two piece racing. It was resurfaced two times.

Maybe the endless pads sucks.

No, I did not come to a complete stop.

I just feel the vibration when stopping from more than 100mph

This situation is driving me crazy
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:19 PM

go to a freeway onramp...get up to 60-65mph then dynomite the breaks.....if you feel a shake in the steering wheel then you rotors are warped...you could also use a dial-indicator and check the run-out...if rotor thickness is within spec then resurface em..the closer u get to the minimum thickness spec the rotor looses the ability to dissipate heat and warps easier
Old Nov 17, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Put the Hawk Blue 9012 yesterday. It is simply Amazing
Strong initial bite
Strong when cold
No noise
and no vibrabition up to now.

I put this pad by stoptech recomendation to clean the uneven deposits, but I liked them so much that I'm thinking to let it installed.

I found out by the expensive way that the Endless pads are garbage (all of them) and the SS-M is the worse pad I have ever tested.

The hawk blue raised my confidence when driving, providing me to explore the real limits of the car as I never did before. Now I can brake deeper later and harder. It is like I bought a new car.
I can't wait to drive my car again