Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Toe change when adding negative camber

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caffeine Slug
I don't even measure the toe before or after I adjust it. I just know that I need to turn the tie rod 4.25 turns and it'll be really close to right.
For that to be as accurate as id like, id have to set up the "adjustment pattern" on an alignment rack. might just have to suck it up and do that.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:41 AM

If you do that, just check the toe by strings. It does not take that long. It is cheap and simple.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 04:29 PM
MD@
Evolving Member

Put the car up on an alignment rack and mark your toe settings based on your two camber setups. Then bring along a camber gauge (spc fastrax, smart, longacre) and a set of toe plates to the track to make sure that you're about right where you want to be. Won't take that long and it's really easy if you have adjustable upper camber plates.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MD@
Put the car up on an alignment rack and mark your toe settings based on your two camber setups. Then bring along a camber gauge (spc fastrax, smart, longacre) and a set of toe plates to the track to make sure that you're about right where you want to be. Won't take that long and it's really easy if you have adjustable upper camber plates.
Thanks for reiterating the entirety of the thread . We could re-name the thread, "there is no easy/fast way to change toe when adding negative camber, other than realignment."
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

So, if I flip the eccentric bolt on the inverted struts to point the arrows back in again, just so i can get my negative camber from a track-friendly 2.6 degrees to a street-friendly 1.6 degrees, it would cause some toe-out on street and 0 toe on track

right?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghoonk
So, if I flip the eccentric bolt on the inverted struts to point the arrows back in again, just so i can get my negative camber from a track-friendly 2.6 degrees to a street-friendly 1.6 degrees, it would cause some toe-out on street and 0 toe on track

Correct, but that is the opposite of what you want. Toe wears the tires much more quickly than camber alone.

More generally:

The real solution, as given in the second post, is to adjust toe each and every time you change camber. Buy $100 plates and deal.

d
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know...a lot of places now are charging $100 for lifetime alignments. At least here in Texas they are. You might want to check around and see if there are any shops doing that in your area. Than getting aligned twice a week won't be a problem...other than the time consumption.