Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Optimal rim width for 265/35/18?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007 | 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I have those tires on 9.5s. I would not go narrower to save modding your fenders. My front fenders are stock and I have no problems with fender interference. Where you will have problems is the fender liners, due to the height of the tires. I cut and worked mine with a heat gun and they are okay except at absolute full lock.
are you lowered, and if you are by how much? Im asking because thats the route im going to take and was wondering if with coilovers, wont it compound the problem of fender or liner rubbing. So roll rear fenders and maybe front with stock suspension. Now if lowered another ~1.25" front and ~1" rear, how to fix the already big problem. Cut fenders, roll the **** out of it?...lol

Sparknotes:
RE01R 265/35/18 with 18x9.5 +22 and coilovers, what do you do to make it fit?
Old Dec 15, 2007 | 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing I have found is the RE01R's sidewalls somewhat taper on the sides...they dont have square sidewalls like the falkens or dunlops which tend to rub more. On your lowering questions well +22 offset is not going to help anything...especially the rear. Probably rolling/shaving the rear and working the front a tad. Just depends I guess.
Old Dec 16, 2007 | 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbsears87
So on the 18x9 do they reccomend a 265/35/18. Because I will not go any smaller than that. I am down to 18x9.5 CE28N or Volk RE30 in +34, Advan RS 18x9 +29, or Rays 57 Maxpro 18x9.5 +30 (just haven't heard much about these but they are hot!) Really the Advans are my #1 choice because they fit perfect, no spacers, and are cheaper than the other 3 and I think they look awesome. I just want to make sure the 9in wheel is optimal for a 265/35/18 tire.
If you decide to do the RE30's or CE28's in 18 x 9.5 +34 you'll have to run a spacer in the front to clear the suspension. I have the CE28 Time Attacks in 18 x 9.5 +34 with 265/35's and I had to use a spacer to get the tire away from the springs on my coilovers.
Old Dec 18, 2007 | 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would get some R-compound 255/40/17 tires for your factory wheels and run those at the track. Get some 18s in a reasonable street size and compound for daily driving.

I hate the way my car feels with heavy/wide tires on it. Hard to explain but its not as crisp as it should be. A 265 is a wide wheel for daily driving. Its goign to grab ruts, hydroplane, and cost you mileage. Additionally its a PITA to clean your daily driving wheels after lapping days.

I think running a lighter forged BBS wheel with true race tires is the way to go.
Old Dec 18, 2007 | 07:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I would get some R-compound 255/40/17 tires for your factory wheels and run those at the track. Get some 18s in a reasonable street size and compound for daily driving.

I hate the way my car feels with heavy/wide tires on it. Hard to explain but its not as crisp as it should be. A 265 is a wide wheel for daily driving. Its goign to grab ruts, hydroplane, and cost you mileage. Additionally its a PITA to clean your daily driving wheels after lapping days.

I think running a lighter forged BBS wheel with true race tires is the way to go.
What feels good and what's fast are two different things. My car feels great in terms of turn-in and response with my 17x8.5 SSRs and stock-size PS2s, but the grip level is no match for my comparatively wide/heavy/numb-feeling 18x9.5s/265 RE01R set up. I'd do the opposite of what you are proposing -- small and light on the street where feel is the most important and big and wide on the track where ultimate grip is most important (if you care more about lap times than feel).

To the guy above who asked whether I'm lowered -- yes, on coilovers, but I'm only 1-1.25 inches lower than stock (no roll center correction parts yet).
Old Dec 18, 2007 | 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Wider is almost always better but I think a 255 NT01 or Victoracer would be better on the track than a 265 REO1. Not to mention a 255 will fit on the stock wheels without modifying the car in anyway shape or form. The BBS is a stronger rim and it will weigh less.

If he wants flashy rims for the street no problem. But I don't suggest running 265 tires 24/7 as they are burtal on the street in more ways than one. For the street a 235/245 is about as wide as I would go. A wider tire on the street removes alot of the precise evo feel that makes it a joy to drive. No need to cut fenders, melt plastic, fight the wheel, fight the weather, and pick up even more debris for no reason.

I might be taking this off topic so I'm going to step out of it. But one thing is for sure... the best way to increase performance on the track is through tires. I suggest running an R compound tire at the track on a dedicated set of track rims. There's no problem driving to events with R-compounds.

Lastly track tires need to be dismounted, rotated, balanced, and remounted fairly regularly or you wont get the full lifespan out of them. This is a huge PITA if they are you DD wheels too.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Dec 18, 2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2007 | 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Wider is almost always better but I think a 255 NT01 or Victoracer would be better on the track than a 265 REO1. Not to mention a 255 will fit on the stock wheels without modifying the car in anyway shape or form. The BBS is a stronger rim and it will weigh less.

If he wants flashy rims for the street no problem. But I don't suggest running 265 tires 24/7 as they are burtal on the street in more ways than one. For the street a 235/245 is about as wide as I would go. A wider tire on the street removes alot of the precise evo feel that makes it a joy to drive. No need to cut fenders, melt plastic, fight the wheel, fight the weather, and pick up even more debris for no reason.
I agree 100%.
Old Dec 18, 2007 | 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

That brings up a good point. What if say though the wheels at 18x9.5 Volk RE30's They are the same weight as the stock BBS. So the only thing would be the tires which are about 2lbs heavier. Basically the wideness would take away from the steering feel?
Old Dec 18, 2007 | 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Wider tires tend to catch groves and tug the car around. They also pick up more debris and sand blast your car with it. Even though the weight may be similar its still going to be very hard to duplicate the "feel" of the stock advans. I haven't found a tire thats as "feels" as good as the advan on the street. The advan turn in response crisp and immediate yet not "too much" for a street car.

I am running NT01 245/40/17 on 18X8 rims. These have a ton more grip than the advan but still doesn't feel as mated to the car. They transmit everything into the suspension where a street tire dampens that sort of thing.

It comes down to this.... what are you trying to achieve? If you want to be faster on the track running a wider street tire is not the answer. Running a stickier same sized race tire (or bigger) will be much more rewarding. The downside is they wear fast and should be used for the track only. Thus the second set of rims.

I for one wouldn't want to drive around daily on big wide tires only because I wanted to be faster at the track. I would find nice looking wheel that fits a modest tire and live with less performance on the track UNTIL I could afford a set of track wheels.

Track wheels get covered in corrosive brake dust. They get exposed to very high brake temps sometimes melting center caps. They occasionally visit surfaces other than tarmac. They might get friendly with an orange cone from time to time. They will need to be rotated regularly not only creating downtime but they will be handled by people doing the work that may not take as much care for removing lugs as you do.

A track rim should be functional not flashy. Volks are nice but $$$$$$. I would cry if someone zipped off a lug and scarred my $1k wheel. Much better to have a mint set of rims and tires for the street that never need to be dicked with by anyone but you.
Old Dec 18, 2007 | 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Well it helps that I'm a tech at Bridgestone so nobody touches my car but me. Truth be told I would def. have second thoughts about taking some Volks or Advan RS to the track and ruin them. So I guess I'll just get some Buddy club or 5zigen 17x9 and run some 255/40 NT01 at the track. Street I will just probably keep the stock BBS since I currently run stock size RE01R which seem to be plenty. I just wanted the aggressive look and a wide *** tire that would serve a dual purpose at track and street and I figured a 265/35 should give me enough grip for the track but good on the street. Oh well I kinda like the stock BBS...just wish the offset was more aggressive.
Old Feb 13, 2008 | 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running NT01 245/40/17 on 18X8 rims
That's clever, how you doing that?

Sorry to bump the topic, but i'm in the same bind. I've gotta decide between 255/35 or 265/35 for my new Advan RG2 +29's by Friday.

I've had my rear fenders fully rolled (all the way to the edge, and pointing straight up again) and it *seems* the 265 will fit perfectly, clear everything, and provide that fraction more sidewall that a 255 doesn't, but i'd love an extra few opinions please.

Will a 265 be crap for daily driving? I know the car's steering will feel a bit heavier a low speed, but anything else I should be aware of?

I've got 245/40/17's on my TE37 track rims, so that's not a consideration.
Old Feb 13, 2008 | 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

^ Funny.

If rolled and all that jazz I would go with 265's for sure.
Old Feb 13, 2008 | 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive read that 255/35/18 is the biggest that will fit a 9" rim without rolling. Iam not lowered and have 18 X 9 with 255 35 18 and i can barely fit my finger between fender and tire