Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Megan Track Coilovers.. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Track Coilovers.. NEED HELP

ok so i searched i read a little, i know how it works so dont flame....
i dont know D*ck about suspension. i have oppertunity to get cheep new megan track coilovers from a friend. i will not be auto-x i just need to lower my car and its gunna be a DD with 1/4 mile ***** on the weekends. i need to know:

1.) what else do i need to buy with these or are they bolt on and go?

2.) what does installing them consist of as in do i need alignment/ tuning/ corner balancing ect....

3.)are these any good for my needs or should i just get swift springs and call it a day??

thanks for the help...

this is why i need to lower the whip...

Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

no one?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

megan track coilovers will give the car an aggressive feel and you can drop it as much as you want and adjust as much as you want..

i personally dont have these but if they are like some coilovers.. thoe most you might need would be Zip ties to tie up the brake lines and abs lines out of the way so they dont rub on the tires....

only other thing would be an anlignment to know you wont have uneven tread wear after moving the suspension lower....

to tune them.. just adjust little by little..

you will find the stiffness you like and they are set.. these coilovers are very simple straight up to install... if you got naymore questions go ahead and PM me
Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

They are good coilovers decent for track and for what u want them for they will do the job.. You don't need to corner balance unless your going to roadrace it or auto-x
Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info. keep the responses comming
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:02 PM

i have these coilovers they were pretty easy to install you will notice a big difference in handling. i have had great luck with mine. the camber adjustments are pretty nice on these coilovers, just make sure you get your alignment checked.

Last edited by spoolking; Nov 3, 2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

If you want the absolute most out of them, you should corner balance them - if you're not racing though, don't worry about it.

You will need an alignment. The install is super easy (even easier than springs). However, the track ones might be a little stiff if you have rough roads - do a search on here. There is a pretty good post from someone who was running the regular megans and the switched to the tracks and even though he did track the car a good amount, he felt it was too stiff for the street.

GL
Old Nov 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Nov 4, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The track ones will be horrible on rough streets. They have such high spring rates (12k I think) that it will be a very bumpy DD.

I would pass them up unless you can get them for incredibly cheap.

I just bought a pair of Megan Street Coilovers from Zeus on here, for $850 shipped. Much better for DD.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

i can get the tracks for 700 ^^ where did you get them installed?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:55 AM

I just installed the Track Specs this weekend... They are a little stiff but my Evo is not my DD so I don't mind. After the install I took it in for elignment and it was only 300ths of a degree off (lucky) so they didn't have to do much . I really like the way the car handles now (coming off of Tien S-techs) but like I said it's not a DD I only drive it 1-3 times a week so when I do it is for fun spirited driving. I am getting a slight clunking noise on low speed bumps and turns. The posts on here said to make sure the 17mm bolt on top is tight so I tightned it untill I heard the susp turn inside. Still a little noise, but better
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
i can get the tracks for 700 ^^ where did you get them installed?
They are simple to install.... Took longer to take wheels on & off than to change the susp
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by psiJunky
They are simple to install.... Took longer to take wheels on & off than to change the susp
if u have a tq wrench that is.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:49 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

The low speed clunking is a common problem with the Megan and other coilovers... Make sure all the collars are tight and there is no play with the spring. The collars come loose sometimes and you need to check it and reset it when it comes loose.

You are placing rubber with aluminum and hard pillowball mounts... noise is normal.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A LITTLE noise is going to be apparent, though noise in the suspension more often times means there's something wrong. Don't accept abnormal noise--no matter how many people tell you "it's normal".

These are the only things keeping your car off the ground--that and your tires. You should never accept anything short of proper working order, and noise outside of the metal to metal contact points (like your pillowball mounts) should be a concern.